Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

ficohok*

i would say Matija Milic http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=185643
is a good prospect at 16 he was half a point per game in the austrian u20 and is dominating the u 18 this year with over 2 points per game

sam as Luka Jarcov http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=174260
with almost 2 points per game in the u 18 and at 16 in the u 20 0.4 points per game.

They wasted this year in U18 league and that was proved in Miskolc last week where both of them scored ONE goal in five games.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Here is my own list of some of the best prospects from various countries.

Btw, I did not include countries such as Latvia, Norway, and others in this list as I do not consider them to be non-traditional hockey countries.

Timothé Bozon
Birthdate: 1994-03-24
Club: Kootenay Ice (WHL)

Guillaume Leclerc
Birthdate: 1996-02-20
Club: Austin Bruins (NAHL), heading to UMass-Lowell (NCAA) in 2014-15

Vilmos Gallo
Birthdate: 1996-07-31
Club: Linköping J20 (SuperElit)

Artur Gavrus
Birthdate: 1994-01-03
Club: Dinamo Minsk (KHL)

Pavlo Padakin
Birthdate: 1994-06-08
Club: Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

Viktor Zakharov
Birthdate: 1994-01-08
Club: Molodaya Gvardiya Donetsk (MHL)

Liam Stewart
Birthdate: 1994-09-05
Club: Spokane Chiefs (WHL)

Bryan Henry
Birthdate: 1995-08-20
Club: Karhu-Kissat U20 (Jr. A Mestis)

Jurij Repe
Birthdate: 1994-09-17
Club: Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)

Miha Logar
Birthdate: 1995-07-09
Club: EC Salzburg II (MHL)

Nathan Walker
Birthdate: 1994-02-07
Club: Hershey Bears (AHL)

Peter Hochkofler
Birthdate: 1994-10-04
Club: EC Salzburg II (MHL)

Ivan Kruglikov
Birthdate: 1996-08-16
Club: Atlanty Mytischi (MHL)

Ivan Hodulov
Birthdate: 1994-09-04
Club: Dynamo St. Petersburg (MHL)

Daniel Bogdziul
Birthdate: 1994-02-24
Club: Molodaya Gvardiya Donetsk (MHL)

Nikita Mikhailis
Birthdate: 1995-06-18
Club: Snezhnye Barsy Astana (MHL)

OneArmedMango

Jan 3, 2014
Bit off topic but that Mikkel Aagaard interests me. Stats wise he looks good, looking over his elite prospects page he was well over a point a game in Denmark's 2nd league at 17 years old, 8 points at the d1 juniors, good stats for an 18 year old in Denmark's top league. The Danish league may not be the strongest but that's gotta mean something right? Especially since I'd assume he doesn't get top minutes as a young guy like other countries top leagues. So would he be a player an NHL team should consider taking with a late round pick, maybe this draft or next, even as a project? Sorry, not familiar with the strength of the Danish league so excuse my ignorance, but I want to see more prospects from there.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Bit off topic but that Mikkel Aagaard interests me. Stats wise he looks good, looking over his elite prospects page he was well over a point a game in Denmark's 2nd league at 17 years old, 8 points at the d1 juniors, good stats for an 18 year old in Denmark's top league. The Danish league may not be the strongest but that's gotta mean something right? Especially since I'd assume he doesn't get top minutes as a young guy like other countries top leagues. So would he be a player an NHL team should consider taking with a late round pick, maybe this draft or next, even as a project? Sorry, not familiar with the strength of the Danish league so excuse my ignorance, but I want to see more prospects from there.

I can with 99% certainty say that he won't get drafted this year. And unless he takes an incredible leap forward, he won't next year either. He would probably need to score at least a point per game in the Danish mens league to considered for the draft. The last guy I remember being drafted out of the Danish league was Thomas Spelling in the 5th round of the 2012 draft. He scored 37 points in 33 games that year.

OneArmedMango

Jan 3, 2014
I can with 99% certainty say that he won't get drafted this year. And unless he takes an incredible leap forward, he won't next year either. He would probably need to score at least a point per game in the Danish mens league to considered for the draft. The last guy I remember being drafted out of the Danish league was Thomas Spelling in the 5th round of the 2012 draft. He scored 37 points in 33 games that year.

Aww okay, thank you, now I know what to look for.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Conway was on a GB U18 roster a couple years back but got replaced the week of the tournament. So was Liam Stewart but he had IIHF issues, not sure of Conways reasons. http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/gb-u18-s-team-announced-p176080

Not sure why he didn't go but as a 95, next year is his last year of eligibility for U20, hopefully he plays. Would have been cool if he was there this year with Liam Stewart.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Speaking of former Yugoslavia's prospects, 97' born Slovenian kid Luka Zorko has made his MHL (yes, Russian juniors) debut. Has already spent several years playing in Russia's capital, though playing for Spartak not Atlant system youth teams.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Can you advertise the prospects worth seeing in this one? :)

I wish I could from all the countries :laugh: but I honestly don't know anything about the players outside of GB.

The kids been mentioned in here a couple times, Sam Duggan ('98 born) is wearing an "A" for the GB team after playing for the U20 team in December. I'll be interested to see how he does. Based on what I heard during the Romania/Korea game, he's playing on the top line with Captain Lewis Hook ('96 and yes... Captain Hook lol) and Duggans teammate from Bracknell Vanya Antonov ('97)

Another interesting note for people that are aware of prep schools, there are three players from Okanagan Hockey Academy UK on this U18 team. The program is in it's second year now and continues to expand with a U18 team next year to go along with their U16 team. Michael Stratford & Luc Johnson played with OHA last year, Glen Billing joined them this year. They'll likely be playing together for the GB U18 team.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Nathan Walker from Australia has intrigued for awhile. I see he's playing in the AHL , pretty mediocore stats but only a 94' born. Does anyone have a scouting report ? What kind of potential does he have ?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nathan Walker from Australia has intrigued for awhile. I see he's playing in the AHL , pretty mediocore stats but only a 94' born. Does anyone have a scouting report ? What kind of potential does he have ?
He came out the gates flying in points, had something like 12 in the first 17 games.

He is a character player who possesses some good vision, playmaking talent, and is a complete player defensively. Plays much bigger than what his frame is listed and also pretty durable as well. Skating is the only thing he could really improve on, but he's not Jason Allison out there.

Hard to say if he has NHL potential, but Walker has that type of Ryan O'Reilly character in terms that he wants be better and improve every single day of every season. I've seen a ton of improve now compared to a couple of seasons ago.

Bearing in mind that this is all stat-watching, Netherlands' forward Guus van Nes might be intriguing. Born Feb 1997, 6'3" 159 lbs, scored 3 goals and 2 assists in today's IIHF U-18 Championship round-robin 6-4 victory over the UK.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=214775

Those are intriguing stats for a 17 year old against men, but I have little faith in the quality of the Netherlands league. I would like to see him go to either Sweden, Finland, Germany, or MHL before considering him a legitimate NHL prospect. With all that say it will be interesting to see if he gets drafted in the import draft. Mario Huber is a player who posed similar stats with the same frame in a much better Austria junior league, but never got drafted. Though there were questions about his work ethic and toughness before hand.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Can you advertise the prospects worth seeing in this one? :)

From Lithuania, top-4 D group is the best ever AINEC. They had already won silver with U20 team playing the same roles there and I think all have a pretty good shot to become pro players, something what would be an unbelievable achievement for Lithuanian hockey.

Best of those is Edgar Protcenko, still 16 years old, 190 cm, scored 3+3 and was +8 in 5 games in the U20 championship and 1+1 in the first game yesterday. Plays in Germany so I hope and it looks like he can develop into a good DEL defenseman although it's not easy to tell since I see him play against such a weak competition. My assumption is based on the comparison with Nerijus Alisauskas who is kind of a similar player (obviously not as good offensively though) and never really dominated the D2 championships but still looks on his way to DEL2.

Arturas Laukaitis is definitely a standout among forwards. Funny thing is although he has already turned 17 nobody in Lithuania really knew about him until recently (he would have easily made U20 team but even then nobody really knew about him yet) since he was born in Russia, then moved to Germany and has really nothing to do with Lithuanian youth hockey. He put himself on the radar by averaging 2.24 PPG German Jugend-BL. I can't really make any predictions about his real potential though, next year he'll play in DNL, that will be a better indication.

Overall, with all due respect to the '89-'91 born group which won the D2 title in 2007, this looks like the best generation of Lithuanian hockey ever. And with all but two players available to return next year (and one of the better Lithuanian prospects Emilijus Krakauskas, injured this year, available) I think they will win D2A.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
uhhh... a player from Korea being drafted by a team in the second best league in the world isn't an improvement? :shakehead

The KHL draft is kind of shady. They waste a lot of picks although it's been getting better each year.

With that said, Chon Hyun Lee had a pretty good showing for Korea at the U18s. He'll definitely be making an impact in his U20 group with Korea and I won't be surprised if he's competing for a spot on the Korea Senior roster down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad