Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

CouchScout

I've always had a fascination with prospects from unique backgrounds. Some guys to watch out for:

I excluded countries like Germany, Latvia, Norway, Denmark, Austria.

Ilya Spektor-1996-Israel
Vilmos Gallo-1996-Hungary
Guillaume LeClerc-1996-France
Fran Gjoni-1996-Croatia
Alexander Lambacher-1996-Italy
Gergely Arany-1996-Hungary-G
Daniel Kornakker-1996-Hungary-G
Csanad Erdely-1996-Hungary

Charl Pretorius-1997-South Africa-G
Sami Tavernier-1997-France
Anton Trublin-1997-Belarus
Guus van Nes-1997-Netherlands
Arturas Laukaytis-1997-Lithuania
Alexander Osipkov-1997-Belarus-G

Justin Cheng-1998-Hong Kong
Alan Lyszczarcyk-1998-Poland
Dominyk Bogdziul-1998-Lithuania
Samuel Duggan-1998-England
Karlo Skec-1998-Croatia-G
Sviaitaslau Kuchynski-1998-Belarus
Leonid Ivanovski-1998-Belarus
Bartek Bison-1998-Netherlands

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
^
Tavernier has played at least some years in Finland and is a great prospect. Extremely skilled, great shot, and is versatile and smart. Should have a good chance to be drafted in 2015. He will be a key player for HIFK U20 team, unless he goes to the CHL. It's been great to follow his development during the last three years!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sami Tavernier has already played a couple of years for Finland in International games. I don't know if those games were IIHF committed, but (sadly) I would be very surprised if he decides to play for France now. :(

Depending on your view of Germany, Draisaitl may count. Even the fact that he went third overall is fairly big news for a smaller hockey country like Germany. Same with Ehlers helping give Denmark another high draft pick.
Hockey isn't that small of a sport in Germany (yes it is still probably regional), they have a 20,000+ registered players playing hockey. It's their development that is probably the worst problem in Germany youth hockey. That is why you see a lot of German players coming over to play in the CHL, USHL, NAHL, and NCAA. Their coach of the U20 even recommends the players to come over and get experience even if they do not make the NHL.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Well beyond the prospect stage, but I wonder what would have happened if Tony Hand (UK) or Doru Tureanu (Romania) would have made it into the NHL. Would their countries be at least Germany level producers of hockey talent?

Hand in particular had a golden opportunity. He was drafted in 1986 so he could have made it onto at least one of the Edmonton Cup teams. That would garner some attention across the pond.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Samuel Duggan-1998-England

Reportedly off to Sweden for next season. I haven't been able to find out which organisation but it's all but confirmed that he's going there.

This kid is legit, he's the best British player I've seen at this age. Played on the U20 team in D1B as a 15 year old and didn't look out of place at all.

Extremely strong on the faceoffs, absolutely dominates kids his own age and older in the draws. Is a good skater, doesn't look like he's moving his legs that fast but has a great long stride that makes it look effortless. Doesn't have a huge shot but is a good finisher, in the slot.

He comes from a hockey family and has a good hockey I.Q. It helps that he has always been on good teams so has good players around him, and was able to play the game properly and not just go into superstar mode like a lot of British kids do when they're the only good player on the team.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Reportedly off to Sweden for next season. I haven't been able to find out which organisation but it's all but confirmed that he's going there.

This kid is legit, he's the best British player I've seen at this age. Played on the U20 team in D1B as a 15 year old and didn't look out of place at all.

Extremely strong on the faceoffs, absolutely dominates kids his own age and older in the draws. Is a good skater, doesn't look like he's moving his legs that fast but has a great long stride that makes it look effortless. Doesn't have a huge shot but is a good finisher, in the slot.

He comes from a hockey family and has a good hockey I.Q. It helps that he has always been on good teams so has good players around him, and was able to play the game properly and not just go into superstar mode like a lot of British kids do when they're the only good player on the team.

He's off to Örebro

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
looks like he can put up points along with (I assume with his size) solid D. maybe he can be the poor poor man's Chara!

Willing to bet that he'll be waived by Christmas, if he makes the opening day roster at all.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Considering that the NHL has tried to promote the sport among minorities and outside of the traditional strongholds in the US, maybe they should take the step of doing the same in some of the countries outside the Big 7.

This also doesn't go just for developing players, but growing the fanbase.

I'll admit I don't know much about the Baseball Academies the MLB runs in Latin America, but a similar program like that. I know Charles Wang made some overtures to developing hockey in China.

I remember asking about why Japan didn't produce many hockey players despite having plenty of facilities and registered players and was told it was due to the youth not having the same backing to pursue the sport as they did in baseball.

Even if it just were taking steps to promote and solidify interest in the countries where development has made in roads such as Denmark, Austria, Norway, Germany, Switzerland...

Then maybe go after growing the game in places like Italy, Japan, China, or England.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Did you make any notes of '97 born Bastien Maia from France? Had a pretty good year in the U18 league for HIFK in Finland and has been training with the U20 team in the summer. Lots of upside if skating improves. Good shot and decent puck skills, was a good one already in the U16 league.

I was expecting a lot from him but he didn't show much.
Had 1 really good game, but he missed another so he may have been a little injured.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
It looks like Borna Rendulic might just have made the Avalanche season opening roster.
He had a nice assist in colorados last preseason game and has gotten better each day.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It's in the Child Prodigy thread but it should be mentioned in here too for future reference.

Aito Iguchi (Japan) has become the latest youtube sensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad