Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The curious case of Norbert Hari has taken a new turn. Remember he was one proposed a couple years back with a solid talent level (probably not NHL level currently) being ineligible to play for his native country of Hungary because he moved to Sweden at a very young age. Well this season, he has moved back to Hungary to play in the MOL Liga so he can be eligible for Hungary in IIHF's rule book.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85692

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=90415987&postcount=200

He is a true warrior for hockey, not like Sprong, Timashov, or Perlini.

lewis94

May 6, 2009
Just read the whole thread and the most outside the box name by far was the defenceman from Singapore. Love it.

BTW, Borna Rendulic played his first NHL game tonight.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Just read the whole thread and the most outside the box name by far was the defenceman from Singapore. Love it.

BTW, Borna Rendulic played his first NHL game tonight.

First Croatian national to play in the NHL (Goran Bezina, born in Split and raised in Switzerland, played 3 games for the Coyotes in 2003-04). Good to see another country added to the ranks of NHL players. Hopefully he becomes a mainstay on the Avalanche roster, seems likes he's doing alright in the AHL at least.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Woah, surprised nobody has mentioned Yushiroh Hirano

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42643

Posting up close to PPG numbers in Sweden's best junior league.

In stage 1 he had 19 p in 22 games, in stage 2 he had 7p in 15 games.

To bad he is among the oldest in superelit. He is a 95, so consider that, his numbers is nothing special at all. Will probably not reach SHL level even lesser NHL level.:/

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In stage 1 he had 19 p in 22 games, in stage 2 he had 7p in 15 games.

To bad he is among the oldest in superelit. He is a 95, so consider that, his numbers is nothing special at all. Will probably not reach SHL level even lesser NHL level.:/

We really do not know if he got less ice time and minutes when going to Division 1. I saw him in the WJC and he is player who needs the puck on his stick to have a great game and create opportunity. He also isn't soft as well, when I saw him play against more physical and height teams like Ukraine and Kazakhstan.

Never said he was SHL or NHL potential, just that there was a kid out of Japan posting around PPG in the Superelit, which is no small feet.

He could be a useful player in the Allsvenskan in his prime, and perhaps he could be a late boomer if he puts more weight on his body and points. Look at Dennis Everberg, he was signed straight out of the Allsvenskan and is starting to become a fantastic 3rd liner for the Avs. Again I am not saying Hirano is going to come close following Everberg's path, but too early to rule him as "nothing" IMO.

Nice find on this including Jaksic. I doubt any of them will have NHL potential (except maybe Maia), but at least better talent for their respected countries for the World Championships.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Nice find on this including Jaksic. I doubt any of them will have NHL potential (except maybe Maia), but at least better talent for their respected countries for the World Championships.

Bastien Maia looked quite promising some years back and this year he has scored some good numbers, but I don't think he's that promising as far as NHL Draft is concerned. He was good at the start of the year and as an example scored four goals in one game I was at. However, there have also been some games where he hasn't had much impact at the U18 level. He's big and has impressive scoring touch around the net, but he's not the best playmaker and seems to struggle a bit when there's more pace in the game. Anyway, he's a good player for France youth national teams and should be an impact player for his country at U18 Division 1 WC.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
We really do not know if he got less ice time and minutes when going to Division 1. I saw him in the WJC and he is player who needs the puck on his stick to have a great game and create opportunity. He also isn't soft as well, when I saw him play against more physical and height teams like Ukraine and Kazakhstan.

Never said he was SHL or NHL potential, just that there was a kid out of Japan posting around PPG in the Superelit, which is no small feet.

He could be a useful player in the Allsvenskan in his prime, and perhaps he could be a late boomer if he puts more weight on his body and points. Look at Dennis Everberg, he was signed straight out of the Allsvenskan and is starting to become a fantastic 3rd liner for the Avs. Again I am not saying Hirano is going to come close following Everberg's path, but too early to rule him as "nothing" IMO.

One thing to consider with Hirano is that while his numbers are just ok considering his age in the u20 he came from Japan this season to play at a much higher level than he's ever done before. That has to be a huge adjustment for a youngster and in that context his numbers are pretty good. Not like he played for a power house either. So it's really hard to judge his ceiling based on this season, next year will be the big tell on his talent level imo. Massive longshot but interesting story to follow.

Hockeyklubban

Mar 16, 2015
Sweden
One thing to consider with Hirano is that while his numbers are just ok considering his age in the u20 he came from Japan this season to play at a much higher level than he's ever done before. That has to be a huge adjustment for a youngster and in that context his numbers are pretty good. Not like he played for a power house either. So it's really hard to judge his ceiling based on this season, next year will be the big tell on his talent level imo. Massive longshot but interesting story to follow.

More fact about him: The Japan icehockey federation was paying for all Y.Hirano costs so he could play in Sweden. Tingsryds coach also said that The Japan national coach said that Y.Hirano is the best player Japan ever had

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Estonian Robert Arrak (Blues U16) could be one player to watch. Have seen him numerous times over the course of the season. Big 1999 born center who can protect the puck and has some skill to his game, but can be physical as well. Fairly good puck skills and hands. He's good at face offs and has some upside, though may be a long shot for the 2017 NHL Draft. He's still one player worth watching for the upcoming years IMO.

Hockeyklubban

Mar 16, 2015
Sweden
Estonian Robert Arrak (Blues U16) could be one player to watch. Have seen him numerous times over the course of the season. Big 1999 born center who can protect the puck and has some skill to his game, but can be physical as well. Fairly good puck skills and hands. He's good at face offs and has some upside, though may be a long shot for the 2017 NHL Draft. He's still one player worth watching for the upcoming years IMO.

He also played in WJC D2 U20 as 15 years old and made 2 assist.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Some really interesting names in that camp...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=280005
16 year old who is already 6'3" playing in Poland's highest division.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=280035
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=191362 (Though Slovakia is already a hockey nation)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=218680 (I could see Hungary be the next rise like Latvia, their younger generations of players are looking like the best since the last one. Producing a lot of intriguing players.)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=280044 (Should be a good European player)

I agree with this, we're going to have to wait until next year to see which development curve he follows.

More fact about him: The Japan icehockey federation was paying for all Y.Hirano costs so he could play in Sweden. Tingsryds coach also said that The Japan national coach said that Y.Hirano is the best player Japan ever had
That's very interesting, thanks for the info Hamarka.

Japan ever had? Well...until Aito Iguchi starts shattering Mario Lemieux's point records in juniors! :sarcasm:;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad