Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Because according to IIHF Statutes and Bylaws:

1.6 When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired or surrendered another citizenship and wants to participate for the
first time in an IIHF championship and/or an Olympic competition representing his country of choice he must:
a) prove that he has participated on a consistent basis, for at least two consecutive years (730 days) after his 12
th birthday
in the
national competitions of and be a legal resident in his new country during which period he has neither transferred to another
country nor played ice hockey for a team registered/located within any other country; and
b) have an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least two years (730 days) before the start of the
championship in which he wishes to participate.
1.7 When a player has multiple citizenships where the relevant citizenships are for countries of Member National Associations and he
has never represented any country in any IIHF championship or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions,
then in order to play for the country of his choice he must
a) prove that he has participated on a consistent basis, for at least two consecutive years (730 days) after his 12
th birthday
in the
national competitions of and be a legal resident in the country that he wishes to represent during which period he has neither
transferred to another country nor played ice hockey for a team registered/located within any other country; and
b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was
approved by the IIHF and dated at least two years (730 days) prior to his proposed participation

Norbert was I think 12 when he moved to Sweden and a bit later he gained Swedish citizenship, which according to this rule makes him ineligible for Hungary. However the IIHF ruled him ineligible to play for Hungary already last year when the 12 years old rule wasn't cleary stated anywhere and AFAIK the Hungarians have appealed against the decision and the IIHF might still change their mind on Hari.

An interesting name to follow could be Polish Alan Lyszczarczyk who only recently turned 15 and is second in Czech U16 league scoring with 72 points in 34 games.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Any good players from Kazakhstan or Ukraine that look decent?

Kazakhstan have couple of interesting names, but the one that could really be somewhat noticeable on international level is D Stanislav Zinchenko, maybe his teammate Stepanenko as well, but he lacks the exposure a bit. As far as Ukraine is concerned there's nothing going for them currently (I've heard there's a Ukrainian on that Wilkes/Barre powerhouse midget team, but who knows).

Belenos

Dec 31, 2010
Biel, Switzerland
I went through the thread again and picked out the most interesting,

Nikolaj Ehlers

Not saying these guys will make the NHL, but should develop into solid players for their countries.

Ehlers is very interesting. He plays for my hometown team in Switzerland. He started the season as a junior who practiced with the first team, had his first game and did well, had his second game and scored on his first shift in this game and so on. At the end of the season in the playoffs he played on the first line. (Also due to injuries of 9 regular players) Still very impressive, good speed, good skill set. Lacks size and strength, but that's kinda normal at age 17.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I might be one of few that still sees Denmark, Switzerland, Norway, Germany or Latvia as odd countries. Can we make a list of prospects that might or should be drafted this year.

Bjorkstrand - Sure to be drafted.
Lipsbergs - Should get drafted.

Fill me in please.

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
I might be one of few that still sees Denmark, Switzerland, Norway, Germany or Latvia as odd countries. Can we make a list of prospects that might or should be drafted this year.

Fill me in please.

Markus Soberg for Norway, was projected to go first round but dropped a lot on every rankings, might get drafted.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Fill me in please.

For Germany:

Dominik Kahun - Should be drafted
Tim Bender - Could be drafted

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Any other German players that could be the next Draisaitl????!

I don't see anyone close to that level coming up.

There are a few guys who are talented enough to have a shot to be drafted in the middle or late rounds.

For 2014 I see Stefan Loibl, Janik Möser, Leon Niederberger and Parker Tuomie who should be worth a look. There are also a few good goalies in that year (Kevin Reich, Florian Proske, Hannibal Weitzmann).

Beyond that it gets really hard to tell. Maximilian Kammerer is a player I like for the 2015 draft along with Julian Napravnik, Marvin Neher and Maximilian Glässl, who is playing junior hockey in Finland.

But like I said, I don't think there are any players like Draisaitl in the pipeline for German hockey. I think at best one of the guys I named could be taken in the 3rd round, and most of them, if taken at all, will have to wait a long time to have their name called.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Fill me in please.

Despite us beeing regulars in the Elite division for bit more than a decade now?
Also,Switzerland really? They have plenty of NHL players and make the wc quarterfinals most of the time.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Despite us beeing regulars in the Elite division for bit more than a decade now?
Also,Switzerland really? They have plenty of NHL players and make the wc quarterfinals most of the time.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft_by_nation.php?NationID=11 We are looking for players to get drafted, how many did u have 2007-2012? Is it on the same level as the big countries?

Switzerland is on another level though, but they still have a hard time producing high level nhlers. I will never underestimate Switzerland in a international competition, but now im talking about the NHL and the draft.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

Look at our overall hockey system and then think again how much talant and "eliteness" actually is necessary to have a team in top tier WC for ten years. Not much.

Latvia might not qualify as non-traditional market but in NHL-centric world our players are as rare as unicorns.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Look at our overall hockey system and then think again how much talant and "eliteness" actually is necessary to have a team in top tier WC for ten years. Not much.

Latvia might not qualify as non-traditional market but in NHL-centric world our players are as rare as unicorns.

I'd say that has more to do with your population than anthing else. For a country of 2 million you guys are doing fairly well. Can't expect to have a constant influx of players getting drafted, the numbers simply don't work. But to be able to remain relevant on the international scene when your country is the size of a small city is pretty good.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I'd say that has more to do with your population than anthing else. For a country of 2 million you guys are doing fairly well. Can't expect to have a constant influx of players getting drafted, the numbers simply don't work. But to be able to remain relevant on the international scene when your country is the size of a small city is pretty good.

Ok, I'm biased, but I still think if the those two millions would have an access to artificial ice we would be where Switzerland is. Hockey is our game, admit it or not, but only small fraction of our population currently is contributing towards our hockey system.

As for the bolded part, I think from now on we will have at least one draftee per year. :nod:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Probably will be invited to some prospect camps in the summer.

Any other German players that could be the next Draisaitl????!

I think Parker Tuomie could be really really good for 2014, not on the same level of Draisaitl, but he is very very good and I hope he goes over the ocean this summer.

Very interesting to compare Tuomies DNL stats this year to Draisaitl`s from last season:

Draisaitl:
35games 21g 35a 56p

Tuomie:
36games 26g 46a 72p

And Draisaitl was DNL MVP last season if I remeber right.
I think Tuomie is very comparable to Kahun (2013 draftee), undersized, fast , talented and both will most likely go well behind their talent level in their drafts. Just like Rieder did in 2011.

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
The Islanders seem to have signed Mike Dalhuisen who was born and raised in The Netherlands.

Even if he doesn't make it past the AHL, I'm assuming this will still be just about the highest level for a Dutch hockey player in years (decades, probably).

attis76

Apr 2, 2004
Norbert Hari has from Hungary has put up 19 points in 22 games in u-18 league in Sweden, that's some seriously good stats for a guy born 1995. He is extremelÿ tiny right now, but what if he starts to grow?
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85692

I checked the link and I think the correct stats are the follows for Hari in U18 in Sweden:

GP G A TP +/-
21 24 21 45 18

This looks promising. I just hope that when it comes to internationals, he will choose Hungary instead of Sweden. ;)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Norbert Hari has from Hungary has put up 19 points in 22 games in u-18 league in Sweden, that's some seriously good stats for a guy born 1995. He is extremelÿ tiny right now, but what if he starts to grow?
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85692

I checked the link and I think the correct stats are the follows for Hari in U18 in Sweden:

GP G A TP +/-
21 24 21 45 18

This looks promising. I just hope that when it comes to internationals, he will choose Hungary instead of Sweden. ;)

Pretty sure there was a conversation about him and he is being forced to be Swedish or something :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty sure there was a conversation about him and he is being forced to be Swedish or something :laugh:

Yes there was and the rule that was stated is he needs to play two years in his country to be eligible for that country, but what I am wondering is if he played two years of minor mites and/or peewee if that classifies him to play for Hungary?!

Fin9*

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=242649

This kid was Singapore's best scorer, and #2 in D scoring in the tournament as a 17 year old. The second youngest defense man on team Singapore was a 24 year old, so he outscored and probably outplayed all of hes defense teammates as a teenager. (only 4 players who were under 18 played in this tournament)

I know that the level of hockey in the CCOA is probably not even beer league level but still i found this very cool to see.

Get this kid to a hockey country where they can get the best out of him and develop him good ASAP.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yes there was and the rule that was stated is he needs to play two years in his country to be eligible for that country, but what I am wondering is if he played two years of minor mites and/or peewee if that classifies him to play for Hungary?!

AFAIK he has played four years in Hungarian competitions. The trouble is that those years were before he was 12 years old and therefore is ineligible according to current rules. (The fact that the part about 12 years of age wasn't stated in the rules at the time when he first wanted to play for Hungary last year doesn't seem to bother the IIHF in the slightest).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad