Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Maybe that Slovenia's U20 league sucks? :laugh:

Also, does anyone think that Arturs Gavrus will be drafted? Could he be the next Grabovski? I've never seen him play and would love to hear about what he brings to the table.

Gavrus absolutely should be drafted. He's had issues with concussions this year (as well as minor wrist surgery), and the size issue works against him, but in terms of pure talent and hockey sense a team is unlikely to find a smarter offensive player outside of the first round. He has a real knack for going to goal scoring areas and has hands worthy of a first rounder. If only he was physically up to par, and didn't have the health issues. Had he not missed so much time due to injury, likely would have finished 2nd in OHL rookie scoring behind Faksa (he was 2nd at the time of the Domi hit).

Struggled down the stretch for Owen Sound but out of our incredible crop of 94 players he easily has the most raw talent.

Here's a video of his two goal game against Brampton, among his first games after the first concussion and wrist surgery:

I expect him to be drafted in the Top 100, unless teams are that scared of his head. As for NHL potential? In terms of skill level and work ethic, the guy has what it takes, but he'll be fighting an uphill battle for sure. He's a Top 6 or bust kind of prospect. Not to mention, he was drafted high in the KHL draft, and if North American pro doesn't work out I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Europe, where his game is probably a lot more suited.

Also for a more recent update, was injured again in the playoffs but still played U18 Div 1 B, four points in five games, although a lot less than his 10 points last year. Still encouraging that he's back playing.

HalbertGil*

I found out a bit about some Lithuanian prospects from SvenskaRiga. There's a big defense Domantas Cypas. He could go farther than most Lithuanians. Also, Ilja Cetvertak who made Lithuania's U18 team this year and dominated(D2). These are their top prospects along with Daniel Bogdziul.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I found out a bit about some Lithuanian prospects from SvenskaRiga. There's a big defense Domantas Cypas. He could go farther than most Lithuanians. Also, Ilja Cetvertak who made Lithuania's U18 team this year and dominated(D2). These are their top prospects along with Daniel Bogdziul.
I saw Bogdziul a few times with Ilves U18 and he´s a pretty good player. Good hands, vision, offensive awareness.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
A lot of the British prospects, looking at their stats, are being promoted too early and their production is suffering by the looks. A few 17 years old with few points (Under 10) in over 50 games after good seasons in the leagues below.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Click the name in my last post. His father is a German Hockey Legend.

To be honest Draisaitls father was one of the best German hockey players of his time too. If that stupid puck would have just not have stopped on the line during the Olympic QF against Canada in Alberville.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUPaRL1tolY

Still can not believe this actually happened. :rant:

If Leon comes to play CHL this summer I Leon has a chance to become a 1st round pick. This kid is talented.

Last edited:

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
A lot of the British prospects, looking at their stats, are being promoted too early and their production is suffering by the looks. A few 17 years old with few points (Under 10) in over 50 games after good seasons in the leagues below.
That's more to do with the massive jump in standard between each level than anything.

Anyway, on topic, Robert Dowd is something special, leading scorer in Div IA at this WC and looked like the best player on the ice every time. Just picked up by Troja-Ljungby of the Allsvenskan, has plenty still to give at 23yo. Rare package of clutch scoring, two-way play and explosive skill. Can see him giving NA a go at some point soon.

Skyver

Oct 12, 2009
Budapest
I'm seeing more and more hockey players in Budapest. Expect the number of Magyars to rise up in the coming years!

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
That's more to do with the massive jump in standard between each level than anything.

Anyway, on topic, Robert Dowd is something special, leading scorer in Div IA at this WC and looked like the best player on the ice every time. Just picked up by Troja-Ljungby of the Allsvenskan, has plenty still to give at 23yo. Rare package of clutch scoring, two-way play and explosive skill. Can see him giving NA a go at some point soon.

I think Dowd has missed the NA boat now. I also think it's only worthwhile if they have a legitimate chance at the Show, which Dowd doesn't.

The best young prospect playing in GB right now is probably Lewis Hook. Luke Ferrara seems to be another good player.

croAVSfan*

Not good enough for NHL. Could be decent player in leagues like Czech or Slovakian though.

I saw your post where you said that Trstenjak (Croatian plays for youth Slovan B. team) could be good player in Slovakian league in future ? Did you see him playing ? What are his strenghts/weakness?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I think Dowd has missed the NA boat now. I also think it's only worthwhile if they have a legitimate chance at the Show, which Dowd doesn't.

The best young prospect playing in GB right now is probably Lewis Hook. Luke Ferrara seems to be another good player.

Being honest, I doubt either of those players has much chance of making it in the NHL but leagues below that are possible.

I'm keen to keep an eye out for Rod Stewart's son, Liam playing for Spokane Chiefs. 26Pts in 66G and I doubt he has much chance but I think if anyone takes him, it'll be LA.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Being honest, I doubt either of those players has much chance of making it in the NHL but leagues below that are possible.

I'm keen to keep an eye out for Rod Stewart's son, Liam playing for Spokane Chiefs. 26Pts in 66G and I doubt he has much chance but I think if anyone takes him, it'll be LA.

I don't think he ever played in England did he? I'm glad he's going to represent them but I'm almost sure he was born in London but grew up in L.A. and never once stepped on ice in England.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Rod Stewarts son is a hockey player?! :amazed:
I don't think he ever played in England did he? I'm glad he's going to represent them but I'm almost sure he was born in London but grew up in L.A. and never once stepped on ice in England.
Doesn't matter. If he ever played international I bet he'd play for the UK.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Rod Stewarts son is a hockey player?! :amazed:

Doesn't matter. If he ever played international I bet he'd play for the UK.

Ye he committed to play for the Great Britain U18 team but Spokane made the playoffs.

What I mean is he's not a homegrown British prospect. He was completely developed in USA.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Ye he committed to play for the Great Britain U18 team but Spokane made the playoffs.

What I mean is he's not a homegrown British prospect. He was completely developed in USA.

Ah I see what you mean. Sorry if I sounded "rude" I was just pointing out what I thought you were saying.

croAVSfan*

Best Croatian prospects would be..

Borna Rendulić (Porin Assat - Finland)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=30359

Petar Trstenjak (Slovan Bratislava - Slovakia)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=31151

Marko Å akić (KAC - Austria)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37059

Mate KreÅ¡imir Tomljenović (Zvolen - Slovakia)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=53883

Rendulic has biggest chance to make a good career in Sm-Liiga.

Trstenjak could be a solid to very good extraleague (slovak) or EBEL player.

Å akić is dominating Austrian junior league (plays with two years older) and can easily be EBEL star, like Thomas Koch for example.

There is also Luka Vukoja (1995.) that plays in Red Bull. Their U18 is playing Rookies Cup along with Czech extraleague teams. Maybe not the greatest stats but he plays in balanced team and he is two-way player. If his development goes right, he could maybe player for DEL league.

As much as I would like to see them in some big clubs in europe, I woudn't mind to see all of them in Medvescak, so we don't need to sign bunch of foreginers every season.

:)

Kulebeans

Mar 20, 2010
Toronto
The worst is over, I believe. I hope we'll see a group of quality players from Ukraine in near future (5-6 years).

Such a shame they lost to Kazakhstan in the Div 1 finals last year they were so close to being promoted. Seems as if hockey is picking up there a bit and hopefully those KHL franchises arrive soon too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad