Unpopular Video Game Opinions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Here is another one:

Ninja Gaiden 1&2(for Xbox and Xbox 360) are better than every God of War game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
DKC was good (despite its ridiculous late game difficulty) but I remember there was some issue with saving the game early. You needed to beat like the first 7 levels to save for the first time the after that you could save at any point.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Dreamcast will likely always be my favorite console. A machine ahead of its time filled with fun, quirky games that you couldn't find anywhere else...a small part of me died alongside that console.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm like the exact opposite.

If a game doesn't have at least a halfway interesting story or characters, etc. I tend to wander off. :laugh:

I agree. Why do I some times replay the same video games? For the same reason I will re-watch movies or reread books. It isn't about just getting to the end, it is the journey that I like.

If the story sucks (depending on the genre of course), then I am not likely to enjoy the game.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Sega Dreamcast> Many systems.

My personal favourite.

loved it like a brother, played a ton of 2k sports games on it during university with my friends, I think we found it at a garage sale if I am not mistaken. . . I almost want to go on ebay and pick one up just to put in the basement for fun.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I agree. Why do I some times replay the same video games? For the same reason I will re-watch movies or reread books. It isn't about just getting to the end, it is the journey that I like.

If the story sucks (depending on the genre of course), then I am not likely to enjoy the game.

Witcher 3 has me in that grasp! played through it once with just the hearts of stone. then blood and wine came out and I did it all again. if I cant find something new to play then I may have to do it one more time lol

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Here's an iffy one, but one that I endorse 110%:

Both Neverwinter Nights games, and their respective sequels have some of, if not the best single player player campaigns for any RPG out there.

Oh and also, Shadow of the Colossus, while pretty to look at, is boring and repetitive and the M. Night Shyamalan cringe worthy "twist" ending did nothing to help it and felt tacked on to try to elicit an "OMG!" moment, but fell flat on its face

Zelda II:Adventure of Link is criminally under-rated and if it didn't have the Zelda title it would be reguarded as one of the best games ever created for the NES.

I think the thing with this game is not that it's bad, but at the time people were confused//upset that it was mostly side scrolling, which was a departure from the first game. Which is a dumb argument imo, but yes, this was one of my all time favorite games as a kid, and I still throw it in the NES once in a while.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Not many final stages(or games for that matter) have better themes than this one:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Oh, I thought of another one.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (the USA version) is my favorite of the NES Marios, and I think all the people are ridiculous who say it's not a "real" Mario game just because it started life as Doki Doki Panic.

It is too a real Mario game. Many of the enemies introduced in SMB2 have become recurring in the franchise (including Bob-ombs, Ninji, Pokeys, and Shyguys). It was the first Mario game to let you play as Princess Peach or Toad, and first to really establish the different strengths and weaknesses of the four characters.

Not only is it a "real" Mario game, it's much better than the Japanese version (a.k.a. "The Lost Levels"), which though it innovated in some ways was too much of a rehash of the first SMB.

SMB2 is a great game. One of my favorites.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Skyrim is one of the greatest games of all time and all the hate for it these days is just trendy hipster revisionism.

I'm glad I gave Skyrim another chance because I did ended up enjoying it, but let's be honest, the combat is a total joke. I will never forget how ridiculous fights against dragons were on horseback. Some Goat Simulator-tier **** lmao.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Skyrim's melee combat is basically high res Minecraft.

Great soundtrack and some hilarious bugs are the best things that game has to its name. But that's Bethesda in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Skyrim's melee combat is basically high res Minecraft.

Great soundtrack and some hilarious bugs are the best thing that game has to its name. But that's Bethesda in a nutshell.

I have no idea what you're talking about:sarcasm:

8Hop8PGh.jpg

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Super Mario Bros. 2 (the USA version) is my favorite of the NES Marios, and I think all the people are ridiculous who say it's not a "real" Mario game just because it started life as Doki Doki Panic.

It is too a real Mario game. Many of the enemies introduced in SMB2 have become recurring in the franchise (including Bob-ombs, Ninji, Pokeys, and Shyguys). It was the first Mario game to let you play as Princess Peach or Toad, and first to really establish the different strengths and weaknesses of the four characters.

Not only is it a "real" Mario game, it's much better than the Japanese version (a.k.a. "The Lost Levels"), which though it innovated in some ways was too much of a rehash of the first SMB.

Not to mention it's harder than petrified ****

Like most of the time it's not even like a fun type of challenging. It was designed to **** you off.

Least the US SMB2 has a fair amount of challenge

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Super Mario Bros 2 has always been my favorite of the series, as well, and probably my favorite platformer ever. Unlike SMB1 (which is still a great game), it had bright colors, large levels, vertically-scrolling levels (as well as the ability to backtrack left), worlds that looked and played completely differently from one another (ex. lush levels, desert levels, ice levels), four very characters to choose from (and you could switch between them between levels), four different ways to play the game, more diverse enemies (because many were specific to their worlds, like the cactus enemies on the desert levels) and more. The replayability was immense. SMB1 had the same experience from the first to the last level and, if you played it with Luigi in 2-player mode, literally nothing changed other than the fact that you were wearing green overalls instead of red.

Even though it's so different from SMB1, what makes SMB2 "true Mario," IMO, is the fact that, after its release, so much of what was established in SMB2 became part of the franchise. It wasn't just abandoned. Later games in the series incorporated larger, vertically scrolling worlds, worlds with specific themes, more characters to play, SMB2 enemies and so on. SMB2 added a lot to the evolution of the franchise. In fact, when you consider spin-off series like Mario Kart and Mario Party, which are built around the concept of a collection of playable characters, all with unique personalities, traits and play styles, you can't help but think back to SMB2 introducing that concept. SMB2 really had a strong impact on the franchise, IMO, and it happened because of a mistake. If The Lost Levels had been SMB2 outside of Japan, as it was planned to be, SMB might've never grown past infancy to become what it has, which it has been because of continual injections of creativity (which The Lost Levels didn't have and SMB2 did).

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
I was going to say the same thing. The less story the better.

Amen.

Yeah I'm kinda the same way. I play games almost exclusively for the gameplay. The cut scenes just take me away from the gameplay. The one true exception of that for me is The Last of Us. I watched every cut scene in that because it was honestly very entertaining.

Of course there are going to be exceptions. Like GTA for the luls.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad