Unpopular Video Game Opinions

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
Knights of the Old Republic II is legitimately one of the greatest games ever produced by man

It remains, to this day, the only game I've ever bought on sight alone, never read anything about it in advance...all based on how much I enjoyed the first one :nod:

Edit: also, since I was unable to find it mentioned via the word search for this thread, Iron Helix needs a sequel.

Last edited:

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Sun and Moon are the worst Pokemon games created in the main series.

Competitive smash 64 is more fun to watch than smash 4.

MW3 is the most fun I've ever had playing a Cod game

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
COD Zombies in WW2, BO series >>>>>>>> anything else COD has ever done

GTA V was underwhelming

E-Sports are jokes

Skyrim is the best video game of all time

I think people watching streams is incredibly sad and pathetic. Yeah let me waste hours I could be playing a game myself or doing something productive watching someone else play a video game!

GTA Online is crap

Nintendo is very underrated

Graphics are very overrated

Valve is EXTREMELY overrated, only good game they've made is L4D2

DOTA, TF2, CS, Portal, etc all suck

SSB4 really needed a story mode

Xbox One has so many problems it's ridiculous

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If you're complaining about driving physics in open world games you're just bad at games in general.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
COD Zombies in WW2, BO series >>>>>>>> anything else COD has ever done

GTA V was underwhelming

E-Sports are jokes

Skyrim is the best video game of all time

I think people watching streams is incredibly sad and pathetic. Yeah let me waste hours I could be playing a game myself or doing something productive watching someone else play a video game!

GTA Online is crap

Nintendo is very underrated

Graphics are very overrated

Valve is EXTREMELY overrated, only good game they've made is L4D2

DOTA, TF2, CS, Portal, etc all suck

SSB4 really needed a story mode

Xbox One has so many problems it's ridiculous

tfw you like Call of Duty but think Half-Life sucks

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Right, and I totally get that. Preference on which is better is definitely subjective, and I'm not criticizing your opinion in the slightest.

I was just commenting that I found the whole "realism" back and forth to be interesting since I've always thought the purpose of GTA was over the top craziness anyway. :laugh:

Personally, I found the more arcade-y driving to be fun in what little I've played of V, but then again I've always preferred arcade-y style racing games over the more realistic ones.

Arcade-y driving is fun. It fits well with GTA V, specially with the online maps etc.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
Dota 2 is terrible game in many ways.
Game is overall mechanically easy, has less depth in that department than other big esports.
Game relies way too much on game knowledge, not game understanding.
Its most casual game in esports due to it being so afraid of giving people too much of an advantage in hopes of close games / comebacks.
Some of the counter design is terrible as you can completely shut down other player with minimal skill required.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Lol. I know you're (probably) kidding but I was blowing people's heads off in Vice City while in elementary school.

The game rating system is next to useless.

I actually find the game rating is pretty accurate.

The problem is nobody uses it. :laugh:

...and then they proceed to complain about their kids playing violent video games.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Lol. I know you're (probably) kidding but I was blowing people's heads off in Vice City while in elementary school.

I'll raise you one higher, I was playing Doom and Doom 2 when I was in elementary. The same games that the blamed the Columbine Shooting on.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The last Gaurdian is garbage

Is that really an unpopular opinion though?

I'll raise you one higher, I was playing Doom and Doom 2 when I was in elementary. The same games that the blamed the Columbine Shooting on.

Yeah you got me beat there. Other than Vice City I was mostly only playing Nintendo games at that age.

I actually find the game rating is pretty accurate.

The problem is nobody uses it. :laugh:

...and then they proceed to complain about their kids playing violent video games.

Just an anecdote but I remember when I was a little older and San Andreas was announced I was at Toys R' Us with my aunt and I swung by the video game section just to ask how much San Andreas would cost. And the cashier, this middle age eastern European guy just goes off on me for that whole section of the store to hear yelling things like "THAT GAME IS RATED R! YOU NO ASK ME THAT! YOU CRAZY KID WANTING TO SHOOT PEOPLE DO DRUGS AND PLAY SEX GAMES. NO! GET OUT OF MY FACE! GRAND THEFT AUTO FOR ADULTS NOT FOR SILLY LITTLE KIDS"

To this day it remains one of the most bizarre experiences of my life. Like. I was price checking a rated M game, not trying to buy a gun. He was yelling at me like I just walked over there and smacked him for no reason. Also him saying the game was "Rated R" cracked me up then and thinking about it still cracks me up now.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Just an anecdote but I remember when I was a little older and San Andreas was announced I was at Toys R' Us with my aunt and I swung by the video game section just to ask how much San Andreas would cost. And the cashier, this middle age eastern European guy just goes off on me for that whole section of the store to hear yelling things like "THAT GAME IS RATED R! YOU NO ASK ME THAT! YOU CRAZY KID WANTING TO SHOOT PEOPLE DO DRUGS AND PLAY SEX GAMES. NO! GET OUT OF MY FACE! GRAND THEFT AUTO FOR ADULTS NOT FOR SILLY LITTLE KIDS"

To this day it remains one of the most bizarre experiences of my life. Like. I was price checking a rated M game, not trying to buy a gun. He was yelling at me like I just walked over there and smacked him for no reason. Also him saying the game was "Rated R" cracked me up then and thinking about it still cracks me up now.

That is hilarious and frightening at the same time. :laugh:

Calling your aunt's attention? Totally legit, since she'd have to approve/buy it. Yelling at you? Absolutely unacceptable behaviour.

To be fair, I'm a little surprised Toys R Us carries Mature rated content (never really shopped there), but hey - if it makes 'em money.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm interested in the reasoning behind this, considering it's my favourite game of all time.
Rather than launching into an hour-long rant about everything I hate about that game let's just say that it is the most extreme example of basically everything I hated about the N64 and the direction games, especially platformers, were heading in at the time. Collect-a-thons are the ****ing worst, and artificially inflating the length of a game by just throwing in numerous colors of bananas that can only be unlocked by using the corresponding ape, is an egregious sin in my book. Collectables are a nice bonus for completionists, but they should never be the basis of a game.

Throw in the fact that the damn thing cost $90 back in the day and it took me 6 months to save up for as a 12 year-old...it was a major lesson in disappointment. I played that game far longer than I ever would play any other game I legitimately hated just because of how much I invested in it, which fed into me hating it even more. There's no aspect of that game that I found remotely enjoyable...and it effectively killed the series for a long time.

It's not the worst game ever, but it's easily my most hated game.

Last edited:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Just a question to those of you in NA, are children not prevented by law from buying games with the highest ratings? Are there specific age restrictions on games/movies that require ID for purchase?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

LOL!! This reminds me of the time I was watching my buddy's 10 year old and went to Game Stop to get RE6, and the girl wouldn't sell it to me cause she thought I was bootlegging it for the kid :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just a question to those of you in NA, are children not prevented by law from buying games with the highest ratings? Are there specific age restrictions on games/movies that require ID for purchase?

Parental/guardian consent is required for Mature rated games, but really the only time I remember a clerk hassling my parents was with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas...which was annoying considering I was 17 and nobody batted an eyelash when I got GTAIII or Vice City :laugh:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Sunset Overdrive is the best XB1 exclusive. Except for Forza H3 maybe, but driving games I tend to keep in a separate category cause you either like the genre or you don't.

Parental/guardian consent is required for Mature rated games, but really the only time I remember a clerk hassling my parents was with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas...which was annoying considering I was 17 and nobody batted an eyelash when I got GTAIII or Vice City :laugh:

Yeah nah here we have to turn away even parents if we know the game is gonna be for the kid and the kid can't produce ID to match the age on the sticker (13/16/18). Still doesn't stop kids getting the games but yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad