Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
That's why it's unpopular. :laugh:

I just don't like the amount of useless time wasted doing nothing running from point A to Point B or doing random side missions that don't advance the story at all.

Count me out for anything Elder Scrolls, or Ubisoft.

I'm actually very similar - the type who tends to blast right past side content in favour of advancing the story line. Sort of the anti-completionist :laugh:

If your main quest line isn't interesting or fun, I usually don't bother with the game.

However, I found Skyrim (only ES game I've played) to be a bit of an exception. I loved running around that world, although I probably have the lowest amount of hours played among my friends, and am probably the only one to actually beat the main quest. :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
agreed, NHL 2k5 is one of the best hockey games ever made, ranking right up there with NHL 94 and Gretzky 3D

Yup, the 2k series was better than the EA games up until 2k7/2007.

The 2k series also offered a lot more bang for your buck as well. Not only were they cheaper than the EA games but a lot of the features they had were great as well. Classic teams was a huge boost to the games. It was a ton of fun playing with vintage teams and having dream match scenarios. I.E 80's oilers vs 70's habs, 93 Leafs vs 93 Habs, all possible with 2k. Then they had great modes like 2 on 2 and 3 on 3, which were a lot of fun with friends. All the AI sliders that EA bragged about in later games to the series had been in 2k from the very start lol. The 2k games were so much more in-depth, way more play/system options, being able to assign shadows on players etc.

rant/

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Then you sure as hell aren't going to get into any other elder scrolls game because skyrims combat is the mona lisa compared to other elder scrolls games
I honestly think twilight princess might be the worst zelda game outside the CD games. Easily the worst of the zeldas I've played at least. Absolutely hated wolf link and the lighting and color was bad. Yes, I know it's called TWILIGHT princess (and yes I know thats the second time in this thread I've hated on a game for its color palette) but I disliked it anyways. It honestly made me depressed. Even Majoras mask as dark as that was didn't do that. Maybe they changed it a bit in HD I don't know.

Also I didn't mind it but the tutorial was insanely long and had almost nothing to do, mechanics wise, with the rest of the game. I can understand why people would have a problem with it.

That's fair. I know people are mixed on Twilight Princess, but for me I'd rather go through that again than do another playthrough of Ocarina. I've played through Ocarina about 5 times and I just never got the adoration of it. Even as a kid. It was one of my first console games and I just couldn't see the big deal. When I revisited it at like...age 16 I wanna say I felt better about it and could see where the nostalgia was coming from. But even at its best to me it's still a clunky game with a vanilla hero's story (the argument I would always get is that Ocarina's story set the framework for every Zelda game to follow which is just completely untrue as the core formula was already in place before Ocarina came out) and generally unimpressive dungeons.

I understand that for its time it was a marvel of video game design but I got the game within the first few weeks of its release and it didn't impress me at the time. So I didn't carry nostalgia goggles with me and anytime I think of going back to the game I think of what a chore a replay would be. I'd sooner replay A Link to The Past, A Link Between Worlds, Awakening DX, Twilight Princess, Windwaker, Minish Cap, and yes...even Skyward Sword despite its repetitive nature.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
How is GTA IV realistic? Not every vehicle is a lifted Ford bronco with ruined suspension, and making everything handle like that isn't realistic. The cars flat out handle like absolute garbage

Compared to GTA V it is. The driving in GTA V is dumbed down. In GTA IV it actually feels like the cars have some weight.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I enjoyed Final Fantasy 8 more then I did 7 or 9.

I would like to see a return to WW2 for FPS.

If it is not one of the original 151, then it is not a Pokemon.

Fallout and Bioshock are overrated.

FF9 was the best FF of the Playstation 1 era
Link to the Past is super overrated
Chrono Cross was better than Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy 8 is really underrated.
Pokemon went downhill after Silver/Gold/Crystal.
Diablo II is the best MMO of all time. Diablo III on PC/Mac is complete ****. It is better on console but still not great.
Legend of Zelda: A link to the past is still the GOAT Zelda game.
Final Fantasy Tactics is the 2nd best game in the series.
Star Ocean 3 is one of the greatest games of all time.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I bet Big comes in here to say he doesn't care about Legend of Zelda.

I don't care about Legend of Zelda.

Action RPGs have just never struck a chord with me, ranging from the more adventure/puzzle style of the Zelda games to the straight up JRPG with an action battle system like Kingdom Hearts. Throw in a turn-based battle system and suddenly I'd care significantly more.

That is to say I like being the general giving orders, rather than the soldier swinging the sword. I certainly wouldn't advocate changing the Zelda games at all...I'm well aware that I'm in a tiny minority and I don't think a turn-based system would even work for what those games are, but as they're built I just don't care and that's fine. Not everybody needs to love everything...I just wish I wasn't looked at like some sort of alien for saying the games don't appeal to any part of me. I didn't enjoy them as a kid and I didn't come around to them as I got older. :dunno:

I'm less able to explain my absolute hatred of 3D platformers compared to their 2D brethren, though. It's not absolute, Space Station: Silicon Valley would be an honorable mention if I were to list my top 20 games of all-time and I appreciate Mario 64 for what it is (but would throw it away in a millisecond for a true Super Mario World sequel)...but the games in that genre I do not like I absolutely hate. I've never hated a game half as much as I hated Donkey Kong 64...and that ****ing hurt doubly so given how the Donkey Kong Country games are the definitive nostalgia series for me.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Pokemon went downhill after Silver/Gold/Crystal.

I agree with you there. Gold/Silver were the best.

But, downhill or not, the new ones are still fun.

I don't care about Legend of Zelda.

Is that really so controversial?

I don't really care about the Zelda games either. I don't hate them. I played Ocarina of Time and thought it was pretty good. Definitely a technical marvel for its time which I appreciated.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This is steadily becoming a more popular opinion but I think Skyrim is bad. Also I think the term esport is pretty dumb. Why can't they just call it a video game like it is lol

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Depends on the gamer. A lot of people love games like gran turismo and forza. While my favorite racing game is Burnout Paradise which is by far the least realistic driving game of all time.

Personally I feel that for a series where stealing and driving cars is a staple feature, the driving in GTA has always sucked.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
"Dumbed down" because realism is a total necessity in video games.

When it comes to driving i wouldn't say it's a bad thing. It's my opinion after all in an "unpopular opinion" thread. I like the driving more in GTA IV because it feels more like you're driving a car and not a go-kart.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Depends on the gamer. A lot of people love games like gran turismo and forza. While my favorite racing game is Burnout Paradise which is by far the least realistic driving game of all time.

Personally I feel that for a series where stealing and driving cars is a staple feature, the driving in GTA has always sucked.

Burnout Paradise is alot of fun. I prefer Flatout 2 more though.
And Forza and GT are also legit.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is steadily becoming a more popular opinion but I think Skyrim is bad. Also I think the term esport is pretty dumb. Why can't they just call it a video game like it is lol

I complained about E-Sport as a term earlier but I think an important distinction needs to be made.

Nobody would say that playing Super Mario Sunshine to completion is an E-Sport. Any highly competitive PvP gameplay would fall under that category since they typically have competitions with tournaments akin to sporting competitions. The "E" in esports denotes that it's an electronic competition.

My problem is the people who argue that esports and sports are in the same sphere of competition when they're not. There was a thread here not long ago where people were actually trying to say that the use of mental acuity and finger reflexes and use are an athletic ability when used for video games, therefore making video games an athletic ability. Another tried to argue that gamers who play e-sport level games work up a sweat are involved in athletic ability because they're sweating.

I said it then and I'll say it now, that's absurd. An obese person isn't going to be limited from performing well in video games because of their weight, but they certainly wouldn't be able to perform well in a 100m dash. You don't need to build muscle and work on core strength to be an elite League of Legends player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad