Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Looking at the left d-men of all those teams....which team would you feel you can make the team and even play a big role?

Minny: Suter, Scandella, Dumba
Chicago: Keith, Cumiskey, Oduya
Columbus: Johnson, Murray, Tyutin
Detroit: Ericsson, DeKeyzer, Smith
Edmonton: Klefbom, Davidson, Marincin...(tough to beat....;))
LA: Muzzin, Martinez, McNabb
Habs: Markov, Emelin, Gilbert, Beaulieu
Rangers: McDonagh, Staal, Yandle...(geez the Rangers are moving who? Starting to Wonder....can Reilly play right?)
Pittsburgh: Martin, Scuderi, Dumoulin

In all honesty....even if we move somebody....we are stronger than a few teams in there....

Gilbert is a RD and Emelin is likely trade bait for cap reasons, regardless of whether we sign Reilly or not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We have a chance?

That'd be nice..

the money seems to be on the hawks getting him.

If we do sign Reilly, does he go the NHL or AHL? Personally, a year in the ahl for a defensemen would be a great thing.

tough question, always hard to see a kid go from the NCAA or juniors to the NHL, so it will depend how he would look at camp. He's racked up the points, as a Sophomore he was 2nd on his team in assists and in the last 2 years he's put up 75 points in 80 games which is just nuts for a defensemen.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Glad to read Bobby Macs twitter that we're in the mix for Reilly. It would be a great pick-up for us. I doubt we get him. I agree with Chicago having the best chance, but I'm glad we're sticking our noses in there.

Hawks can't sign everybody. There is a 50 contract limit.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Getting Reilly would be nice.

I assume at least 1 dman is on the block if this happens.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Ya, he reminds me of Justin Schultz.

The situation is similar but play wise his potential is even higher because he's a bit more well rounded . Similar built and career path though, definitely. He showed great poise at the men world championship (on limited minutes) as a 21 year old.

Last edited:

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Ya, he reminds me of Justin Schultz.
The situation is similar but play wise his potential is even higher because he's a bit more well rounded . Similar built and career path though, definitely. He showed great poise at the men world championship (on limited minutes) as a 21 year old.

The Schultz comparison isn't completely off. Both are good skaters with undeniable offensive tools and obvious things to work in the defensive zone. They both had difficulty to handle the physical play. But based on a few games I saw, Schultz was a better college player than Reilly.

Schultz pro development stalled for some reason. I'd personally keep him in the AHL for some time to see his adaptation to pro hockey. But I bet this is one of the main point of discussion between him and his next team.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
In what way? Certainly not Kostalek from a stats point of view. So Kostalek and Morrissey had good tournament. Everyone is aware of that. Those guys have been drafted. My original post said "one of the most reliable defensemen at the tournament". I watched every game that tournament and I stand by what I said. I watched tons of gens games this year, many in person and Mermis is a standout on the team. Why not take a chance on a guy like that? He's clearly improved by leaps and bounds and nothing would suggest that it's going to stop. You have well respected guys like Dale Hunter saying he has potential.

In the end, you're paying a very small price for a guy that has shown that he is able to compete with the top talents in the OHL. No harm in inviting him to camp.

In every way.

You didn't say one of the most, you said probably the most reliable defenseman. ;)

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Fingers crossed for Kevin Roy next year. I hope he wants to play in his home province, before he can choose his home town team if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad