Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I didn't realize that Yale's goalie Lyon is the 3rd stringer for the USA at the Worlds.

I would have to imagine he'd get NHL interest whenever he finishes university.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like Guindon personally. He has been an underdog for a while. Former one game-hab Olivier Michaud(Drummond's goalie coach) was raving about him, saying he works hard in practice and has a lot of potential. He's not the biggest though.

Another guy I'd like to see get an invite would be Baie-Comeau's goaltender, Phillip Cadorette.

I didn't know that Michaud was the Volts goalie coach, but I have liked what I've seen from Guindon even though he's not the biggest. I only saw a little of Cadorette but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to him. I still like a few NCAA goalies for the ECHL next year but I guess we'll find out who they invite to the development camp.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I didn't know that Michaud was the Volts goalie coach, but I have liked what I've seen from Guindon even though he's not the biggest. I only saw a little of Cadorette but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to him. I still like a few NCAA goalies for the ECHL next year but I guess we'll find out who they invite to the development camp.

I don't think he's still with the Volts, but the first couple of years of Guindon's with them, he was. The first season was the one Guindon stole the starting spot from Domenic Graham, a legit draft prospect at the start of his draft year who faltered as the season went on.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Sharks sign Joonas Donskoi, heard he had a good WC's.

Should the Habs be interested in Charles-David Beaudoin who was at camp last summer?

I would sign Loiseau before Beaudoin.

One guy that is older but not a FA is Murphy of Quebec, has gained a lot of maturity in his game, wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted in June.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would sign Loiseau before Beaudoin.

One guy that is older but not a FA is Murphy of Quebec, has gained a lot of maturity in his game, wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted in June.

I would look at inviting Murphy if he goes undrafted again. We will need some LD's for sure (I believe he's a LD)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would look at inviting Murphy if he goes undrafted again. We will need some LD's for sure (I believe he's a LD)

If you like him, you draft him in the 6th or 7th, I would be surprised if he doesn't get drafted if he keeps playing well next week in Quebec.

His style reminds me a lot of McDonagh, not the most creative but pretty good size and mobility, makes the smart play.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Nah. You already know he won't fit Therrien's system. No point in acquiring any talented players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you like him, you draft him in the 6th or 7th, I would be surprised if he doesn't get drafted if he keeps playing well next week in Quebec.

His style reminds me a lot of McDonagh, not the most creative but pretty good size and mobility, makes the smart play.

I liked what I saw but didn't really see anything McDonagh like who I saw a lot of between the USHS and NCAA. The Habs are thin on picks so they need to make the most of them, even though they have a big incoming rookie class I would hope that they are aggressive in bringing in some undrafted FA's to provide some ECHL depth.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Sergei Plotnikov was a Chicoutimi draft pick in the CHL Import Draft. He never showed up but a lot of jokes were made with that name at the time. :sarcasm:

Jacob Sweeney (Moncton) would be a nice pick up. 46 points in 66 games this season. Nice size (6'4, 215 lbs). And he speaks french :)sarcasm:).

He was a 19 this season and he's probably going back in the Q as an overager unless someone signs him and decides to keep him in the AHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sergei Kostitsyn is leaving AK Bars to play for an unknown team, wonder where he's going?

Flyers Sign UFA defensemen Yevgeni Medvedev as he is also leaving AK Bars

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Nah. You already know he won't fit Therrien's system. No point in acquiring any talented players.

Yeah cause Subban and Pacioretty are not producing...Plekanec would be an 80 point guy and Desharnais also with another coach, right?:laugh:

I liked what I saw but didn't really see anything McDonagh like who I saw a lot of between the USHS and NCAA. The Habs are thin on picks so they need to make the most of them, even though they have a big incoming rookie class I would hope that they are aggressive in bringing in some undrafted FA's to provide some ECHL depth.

They had extra picks in 2012 and 2013, I would still draft BPA regardless.

Plus they have a few guys that could be traded for picks...Emelin(if Petry is signed), Thomas Bournival.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Plus they have a few guys that could be traded for picks...Emelin(if Petry is signed), Thomas Bournival.

I am interested to see if they can land a extra pick or if they will look to trade more picks to try and land us something to help our top 6 out for next season. With Bournival's concussion though I wonder if teams will just try to get him for free on waivers.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Desharnais wouldn't play under another coach.

How about Lefebvre? :sarcasm:

Yeah cause Subban and Pacioretty are not producing...Plekanec would be an 80 point guy and Desharnais also with another coach, right?:laugh:

I don't understand why signing Petry makes Emelin expendable, Petry is a RD, and Emelin is a LD.

Signing Petry makes Gilbert or Pateryn expendable, not Emelin.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't understand why signing Petry makes Emelin expendable, Petry is a RD, and Emelin is a LD.

Depends on the cap and how much Petry gets along with Galchenyuk. I would think that Gilbert would go before Emelin but who knows what the plans are for other moves.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It's more in terms of cap space and minutes than LH or RH. If you sign Petry and move Emelin you have a 7 man group...

RH-Subban Petry Gilbert Pateryn(6-7) Nygren(6-7-8)
LH-Markov Beaulieu Tinordi(6-7)

Gilbert and Beaulieu have shown they can play both sides with relative ease.

Emelin has 3 years left at 4.1 mil while Gilbert has one year at 2.8 mil. By Moving Emelin you should be able to keep Petry with only a 400-900k extra cap hit.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
It's more in terms of cap space and minutes than LH or RH. If you sign Petry and move Emelin you have a 7 man group...

RH-Subban Petry Gilbert Pateryn(6-7) Nygren(6-7-8)
LH-Markov Beaulieu Tinordi(6-7)

Gilbert and Beaulieu have shown they can play both sides with relative ease.

Emelin has 3 years left at 4.1 mil while Gilbert has one year at 2.8 mil. By Moving Emelin you should be able to keep Petry with only a 400-900k extra cap hit.

Nygren is not playing for the Habs next year.

Bergevin loves his defensive depth, Emelin will not be traded for draft picks. Your LD looks terrible for a team that is expecting to compete for the title.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Any news about Evan Wardley ? I know Habs like him, he was invited to last year development camp and he was signed by Wheeling to finish the year. I think Bergevin will sign him.

There's also forward Matt Schmalz (6'6 !) that was invited last summer. He had a good year in Sudbury.

LDs that was invited to camp last summer are Gianluca Curcuruto and Colton Bobyk. Are they good enough to play in AHL next year?

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Sergei Kostitsyn is leaving AK Bars to play for an unknown team, wonder where he's going?

Flyers Sign UFA defensemen Yevgeni Medvedev as he is also leaving AK Bars

The number of KHL-player signings will be high this summer because of the situation in Russia.

I suspect the stories about Radulov and Kovalchuk to keep coming.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The number of KHL-player signings will be high this summer because of the situation in Russia.

I suspect the stories about Radulov and Kovalchuk to keep coming.

Kovalchuk can't just return, I think he has to sit out a year due to his "retirement" fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad