Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We seem to be hesitant at signing anybody. Even Didier not being signed yet is mind-boggling for me. Does Bergevin have other plans? We'll see about that.

They still have a lot of time to sign Didier but I am wondering if they will sign him or not. I would sign him but I guess we'll see as the Habs have been pretty good with the picks they haven't signed. Pribyl looked like he might break out this year but then injuries cost him much of the season, John Westin (207th, '10) seems to have had a good season in tier-2. I think they could use a big guy that skates well like Didier but I wonder if his lack of any sort of offense hurts his chances?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
They still have a lot of time to sign Didier but I am wondering if they will sign him or not. I would sign him but I guess we'll see as the Habs have been pretty good with the picks they haven't signed. Pribyl looked like he might break out this year but then injuries cost him much of the season, John Westin (207th, '10) seems to have had a good season in tier-2. I think they could use a big guy that skates well like Didier but I wonder if his lack of any sort of offense hurts his chances?

Well when you have Pateryn Dietz Bennett with the same type of game he seems a little redundant. Add thrower, Tinordi and Ellis into that too.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hard to be confident Habs will get anyone. Granted they got Sekac...never know.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well when you have Pateryn Dietz Bennett with the same type of game he seems a little redundant. Add thrower, Tinordi and Ellis into that too.

Bennett is a puck moving D that has great mobility and can rush the puck up ice. Didier is nothing like him.

Deitz is physical but he's more of a two way D. Not the quickest or greatest skater, he's not really like Didier.

Thrower we don't know what we really have since the injury cost him this year but I see him as physical D that is more offensive but can drop the gloves. Didier isn't really like him.

Tinordi does play a similar style to Didier, he's taller but might have more offensive upside. Both are physical stay at home types that excel on the PK. The difference is Tinordi is a LD and not really sure they should use him at RD.

Ellis I don't know if he will be back or not, he's more offensive minded then Didier. Not as physical.

Pateryn will be in the NHL, he's got more offense then Didier, but not as good in his own end.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Have we ever gotten a hyped college free agent in the last 40 years? Even guys like Condon and Carr were scraps of what was left.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Have we ever gotten a hyped college free agent in the last 40 years? Even guys like Condon and Carr were scraps of what was left.

There's only ever like one a year that turns out to be anything, and there usually american and sign with an american team.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Yann Danis was a top 3 finalist for the Hobey Baker award and I know at least a few teams like the flyers and others were trying to sign him.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
It seems like the top college UFA's usually either sign with Chicago/New York, Their home town team or a bottom feeder where they're guaranteed playing time. We haven't really been any of those.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
It seems like the top college UFA's usually either sign with Chicago/New York, Their home town team or a bottom feeder where they're guaranteed playing time. We haven't really been any of those.

Another factor is which team invited them to previous development camps. If a team has shown interest in the past, the player might feel some loyalty and sign with them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Condon and Danis were pretty good. Carr looks good right now.

Condon ended up being one but he wasn't even a full time starter until his Senior year and that was on a bad Princeton team so the scouts must have really saw something in him. Carr was a good pick up as well, he had a big Senior year but was always among the top scorers on his team going back to his Freshman year. What might have hurt him a bit in scouts eyes was his Junior year where his numbers dropped after a good Sophomore season as he was a ppg that year but that year Union was really good if I recall correctly and his Junior year they struggled to score yet he led them in goals.

Danis was a top NCAA FA but after that it's not real pretty.Trotter was a good scorer in the NCAA but getting kicked out of school should have been a red flag. I didn't include anyone signed to just AHL contracts.

NCAA,

Yann Danis (ECAC), Mike Condon (ECAC), Daniel Carr (ECAC), Brock Trotter (WCHA), Brendon Nash (ECAC), Hunter Bishop (CCHA).

The Habs haven't done much better with their undrafted Euro FA's either but at least Diaz led to Wiese. Still don't know how Mayer or Berger got deals.

Euro,

Andreas Engqvist (Swe), Janne Lahti (Fin), Mikael Johansson (Swe), Alain Berger (Swiss, OHL), Robert Mayer (Swiss, QMJHL), Diaz (Swiss)

Here's the CHL undrafted FA's, DD was the best by far, Desjardins got us Tok. Shocked that a team actually traded for Lefebvre and Nevins.

CHL,

Dany Masse (Q), Jack Nevins (Q), Stefan Fournier (Q), Frederic St. Denis (Q), Philippe Lefebvre (Q), Cedrick Desjardins (Q), David Desharnais (Q), Thomas Beauregard (Q, can't remember if he got an NHL or AHL contract), Andre Benoit (O), Francis Lemieux (Q), Olivier Michaud (Q),

And CHL FA's that were drafted but not signed by their NHL team thus becoming FA's,

Peter Delmas (Q), JP Cote (Q)

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
^ Just read on the prospect forum that apparently, you guessed it... Chicago are the front runners then Minnesota as his 2nd choice. F-ing Chicago

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013

good young defense available

edit: mathletic too fasttttt

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just in case some are wondering how Mike Reilly is becoming a UFA, it's due to the NCAA loophole. This is for players that after they are drafted they don't play in the NCAA right away. Reilly after being drafted played in the BCHL and then 3 years at Minnesota. Had he just played at Minnesota then there is no loop hole.

Also has Rimouski's Alexis Loiseau been signed by any NHL teams as a FA?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope they will, yes. I'm sure they've talked about him in their reunions, remains to be seen if they like him enough or see Pro potential in him.

I know you said you don't think Michael Joly will get drafted, but what about Anthony DeLuca and Louis-Philip Guindon? If any of the 3 don't get drafted would you want to see them invited to camp? I think Guindon has been pretty good and we need an ECHL goalie next year.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I know you said you don't think Michael Joly will get drafted, but what about Anthony DeLuca and Louis-Philip Guindon? If any of the 3 don't get drafted would you want to see them invited to camp? I think Guindon has been pretty good and we need an ECHL goalie next year.

I like Guindon personally. He has been an underdog for a while. Former one game-hab Olivier Michaud(Drummond's goalie coach) was raving about him, saying he works hard in practice and has a lot of potential. He's not the biggest though.

Another guy I'd like to see get an invite would be Baie-Comeau's goaltender, Phillip Cadorette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad