GDT: UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think he waits for the winner of Poirier McGregor. Although I worry if Conor wins the fight might not happen because Conor tends to pick who and when he fights. He may end up boxing Jake Paul or something stupid like that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think this is a great plan. I'd like to see Chandler/Dariush in the mix too. Next 3 are Gaethje, winner of Chandler/Daruish, winner of Connor/Poirier. Then eventually Makhachev comes up and keeps the belt for a while.

In the meantime everybody will try to avoid Islam as well as they possibly can

won’t be able to hide forever tho

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The main event was insane and lived up to expectations. The rest of the main card was very forgettable.

Both Oliveira and Chandler really showed something. First Chandler escaping while Oliveira was on his back and then nearly finishing him. Then Oliveira being able to come back from that and finishing Chandler with strikes. One of the questions about Oliveira has been if he has what it takes to come back from facing adversity, which the broadcast alluded to after the first round, and he definitely answered that tonight. He landed the perfect punch and then was just relentless. I have no idea how long he’ll stay champion but it was great to see him win it tonight.

Chandler lost but in his two fights he has shown that he definitely belongs and I don’t think anyone should question his credentials anymore. However, it might be tough for him to make another run at the belt because of his age. Then again, say he beats someone like Gaethje and Poirier beats Oliveira, he could be right back in the mix.

Dominant win for Dariush and he deserves all the credit for getting it done but that wasn’t very fun to watch. The last round in particular was just terrible with nothing going on. Still, he should move up the rankings and deserves another big fight. The only positive for Ferguson is that he didn’t take a lot of damage unless his knee is messed up.

Some weird scorecards tonight but I think they got the right winners so no one got screwed. I see some people questioned the Chookagian one but it was close and I thought she did enough. It wasn’t a 30-27 though.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The main event was insane and lived up to expectations. The rest of the main card was very forgettable.

Both Oliveira and Chandler really showed something. First Chandler escaping while Oliveira was on his back and then nearly finishing him. Then Oliveira being able to come back from that and finishing Chandler with strikes. One of the questions about Oliveira has been if he has what it takes to come back from facing adversity, which the broadcast alluded to after the first round, and he definitely answered that tonight. He landed the perfect punch and then was just relentless. I have no idea how long he’ll stay champion but it was great to see him win it tonight.

Chandler lost but in his two fights he has shown that he definitely belongs and I don’t think anyone should question his credentials anymore. However, it might be tough for him to make another run at the belt because of his age. Then again, say he beats someone like Gaethje and Poirier beats Oliveira, he could be right back in the mix.

Dominant win for Dariush and he deserves all the credit for getting it done but that wasn’t very fun to watch. The last round in particular was just terrible with nothing going on. Still, he should move up the rankings and deserves another big fight. The only positive for Ferguson is that he didn’t take a lot of damage unless his knee is messed up.

Some weird scorecards tonight but I think they got the right winners so no one got screwed. I see some people questioned the Chookagian one but it was close and I thought she did enough. It wasn’t a 30-27 though.

I thought Burgos-Barboza was great but I could do without the following 3 fights

Although watching Tony not tap to a fully locked-in heel hook was something....

Reactions: m9 and Avs_19

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Gaethje already had his shot, I don't think he should get another shot without earning it. That fight between Poirier and Connor sucks and makes no sense as far as this division goes. Poirier should have been the guy fighting for the belt tonight, not Chandler. Nevertheless if he beats Connor again, he should be next for the belt.

Islam Makachev is supposed to fight in July, Beneil want's to take some time off and come back end of this year or beginning of next year. If Islam wins that's the fight I would make for a title eliminator.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The energy the crowd can bring has been missed. Pretty much everything else the crowd brings wasn’t missed at all. I know it’s Florida and Texas but damn, give me the Apex.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Poirier is probably the best lightweight in the world right now. Think he should be next up for the title shot (assuming he beats Conor, which I think he will).

Tony is sadly now inching towards Cowboy Cerrone status. I’d like to see him hang up the gloves and just enjoy life in good health.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Wild stuff, some takeaways...

Barboza looked really good , one of his best performances in the octagon. I don't know what in the f***ing world people were watching saying that fight was even, thank goodness it didn't reach the judges for Barboza to get robbed. He was absolutely working Burgos, really thought the commentary swayed opinions on that one. I mean it was competitive especially in rd 2 but come on.

Chookagian 30-27? Jeez. That fight was close so I won't argue the winner, but like the Grundy scorecard, 30-27 seemed insane.

Bontorin surprised me a bit, really took it to Schnell. Clear 30-27 there.

I can't say I was surprised by Tony getting dominated like that, but I thought he would at least have his moments. Dariush is the real deal so I'm sure Tony could still get some wins with strategic matchmaking, but the book is out at this point. He should probably think about retiring unless he is willing to go waaaay down the ladder. How about the Khabib fight now? lol.

Oliveira, WOW! Great fight from start to finish, he actually survived the adversity whereas in the past he may have accepted defeated. But it's always nice to see someone who has been around so long finally get rewarded. Not sure if he can defend the belt for long, but he is one hell of a finisher and it was awesome to see the elation after winning that championship.

Fun night!

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was hoping the Gaethje fight wasn’t going to be the last we saw of the Tony we knew but he really did take a catastrophic amount of damage that fight

Fighting Gaethje really is a career killer. He’s more or less sent the careers of Ferguson, Cerrone, Vick, and Johnson into tailspins. You can even argue he did the same with Alvarez despite Eddie winning. Only Poirier and Khabib have come out of their fights with him and continued at their peak (well Khabib didn’t but probably would have, his leg took some damage but that’s it)

Also this Tony run is starting to look like end-stage Woodley

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
In the meantime everybody will try to avoid Islam as well as they possibly can

won’t be able to hide forever tho

I mean, look at Ryan Hall. He's has 2 fights in 5 years and has publicly said that the UFC struggles to match him with opponents. He's had a couple of injuries in that span but its proof that people can avoid fighters if they really want to.

Reactions: 16Skippy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean, look at Ryan Hall. He's has 2 fights in 5 years and has publicly said that the UFC struggles to match him with opponents. He's had a couple of injuries in that span but its proof that people can avoid fighters if they really want to.

Khabib had that issue too, and he also had injuries

Islam hasn’t even had the injuries yet, it’s a shame nobody is going to willingly put their ranking on the line against him without heavy compensation

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I thought Dariush would win but sad to see Tony lose 3 in a row...he's pretty much Gatekeeper now. What worse is now we have to hear crazy excuses come out of his mouth.

Oliveira vs Gaethje is going to be fun to watch if they make that fight next.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Khabib had that issue too, and he also had injuries

Islam hasn’t even had the injuries yet, it’s a shame nobody is going to willingly put their ranking on the line against him without heavy compensation

It's a problem with the UFC, I like Bellators method of throwing everyone in a tournament and saying "if you want to be champion, you gotta deal with all of them".

Reactions: darko and CDJ

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

Beneil openly said in the post fight conference that Islam may potentially be one of his opponents next depending on what happens in the division. Let's not act like all fighters are ducking him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
we shall see. He says he isn’t fighting until end of the year at earliest and I bet they want Islam back in there way before that

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I think the problem Chandler will continue to have is he is all power without any reach. He really needs to work to get inside most of these guys without getting jabbed/kicked to hell. In this case it was the left cross. He should have let Charles up in the 1st round when he was hurt

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the problem Chandler will continue to have is he is all power without any reach. He really needs to work to get inside most of these guys without getting jabbed/kicked to hell. In this case it was the left cross. He should have let Charles up in the 1st round when he was hurt

he also seemingly has a pretty limited striking arsenal. He kinda just wings over hands and hooks with the occasional sneaky stance switch mixed in- it’s pretty effective when he blitzes the way he does but he’s gonna be pretty wide open to be countered by a guy who doesn’t wilt under the pressure like Hooker did

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
we shall see. He says he isn’t fighting until end of the year at earliest and I bet they want Islam back in there way before that

Islam is fighting in July, end of the year could be Nov or Dec. Anyways, he still has to win his fight, which odds are he will but we have seen crazy things happen in this sport.

Reactions: CDJ

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The arm bar applied by Muniz on Jacare had the cleanest arm break I’ve seen since Mir broke Nogs arm with a Kimura

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Beneil openly said in the post fight conference that Islam may potentially be one of his opponents next depending on what happens in the division. Let's not act like all fighters are ducking him.

He asked for title eliminator, I cant see 10th vs top 5th being a title eliminator when you have Poirier and Gaethje around.

It would have made more sense to make that fight before this one. If Makhachev and Dariush fight, the winner still needs to beat a top 5 fighter to get a title shot imo.

As of now Makhachev is lined up to fight Moises, an unranked fighter. I think it's safe to say, no ranked fighter wants to put their ranking on the line vs him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The arm bar applied by Muniz on Jacare had the cleanest arm break I’ve seen since Mir broke Nogs arm with a Kimura

One of the first fights I ever saw was Mir vs Sylvia. I was still pretty young (I think 12) and i did not need to see that lol

Jacare is such a savage. I don’t think he feels pain. He’s not all that different from an actual alligator. Out here acting like he can regrow limbs. Apparently it was a different arm than the one Gracie broke in BJJ.

Reactions: End of Line

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
he also seemingly has a pretty limited striking arsenal. He kinda just wings over hands and hooks with the occasional sneaky stance switch mixed in- it’s pretty effective when he blitzes the way he does but he’s gonna be pretty wide open to be countered by a guy who doesn’t wilt under the pressure like Hooker did

If you can survive the power onslaught from Chandler and have a decent chin, then it looks like he is very beatable. Mostly because he doesn't have much of a chin himself.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Alright, now that I've had some time.. here's what I do at 155.

Oliveira v Gaethje. I don't like giving Gaethje a shot coming off a loss, but he's the only guy deserving at all and they're going to want to get Oliveira back in there. Get this one set for the summer. I'll throw in one extra suggestion - what if Max Holloway wanted to move up for this title fight?

Chandler v Dariush. It's really the only fight to make to me. It's the biggest fight you can make for Dariush and Chandler needs to fight another top guy. The backup option if Dariush is taking some time off - Chandler v RDA.

Ferguson v Hooker. I've wanted this fight for awhile. It's a great style matchup to me and lets you see which guy is going to hang around the top ten for now.

RDA v Gillespie.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Alright, now that I've had some time.. here's what I do at 155.

Oliveira v Gaethje. I don't like giving Gaethje a shot coming off a loss, but he's the only guy deserving at all and they're going to want to get Oliveira back in there. Get this one set for the summer. I'll throw in one extra suggestion - what if Max Holloway wanted to move up for this title fight?

Chandler v Dariush. It's really the only fight to make to me. It's the biggest fight you can make for Dariush and Chandler needs to fight another top guy. The backup option if Dariush is taking some time off - Chandler v RDA.

Ferguson v Hooker. I've wanted this fight for awhile. It's a great style matchup to me and lets you see which guy is going to hang around the top ten for now.

RDA v Gillespie.

I like those matchups but I think Hooker might brutalize this version of Tony. I think it would play out like the Gaethje fight. Just hopefully a little less punishment absorbed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad