GDT: UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
The guy just fought for the belt and almost won it. An hour later the internet is calling for him to retire. Alright then.

"Almost won it."

What is that even supposed to mean?

I like Reem, but his defense was amateurish. Pressure him and he crumbles.

I don't know if he should retire just yet, because he still hits like a truck, but he did not look good there.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
"Almost won it."

I don't know if he should retire just yet, because he still hits like a truck, but he did not look good there.

He definitely ran like an amatuer tonight. Weird fight from him, that's for sure.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Meh, it's his chin man. He cannot take a punch, and he's very aware of it. He seemed like he wanted to do the McGregor(Diaz 2)/Condit(Diaz)/Gustafsson type of fight, land a few times, get away, reset at distance and fire again, rinse and repeat. But once he got caught, he got stuck between that game plan and desperation.

Oct 15, 2008
Yes. The Kalib Starnes game plan was in full effect. I would love to see judges dock a point for running. Being elusive is one thing, flat out running away? Pffft.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
The guy just fought for the belt and almost won it. An hour later the internet is calling for him to retire. Alright then.

Did you notice his defense and his running away strategy? Against heavy hitters with big chins Overeem crumbles. He has had too many fights under his belt, I really think it's time he hangs them up.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yes. The Kalib Starnes game plan was in full effect. I would love to see judges dock a point for running. Being elusive is one thing, flat out running away? Pffft.

There's very few fighters that can "get away" with it, and by very few I mean Gustaffson, he runs a lot to reset, but hes usually always immediately engaging and getting into wars/trying to finish so it doesn't matter. It does not, and shouldn't ever really work in HW, the fights are slow and methodical to begin with.

As for Reem retiring, well, it's Heavyweight. The division is built on false hope, Mark Hunt, Arlovski, Mir, Nelson, etc, all you need is one punch, and for better or worst(usually worst), everyone knows it and counts on it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really weird night of fights and interviews.

Main event was good. I know Overeem's chin isn't great but Stipe has some ridiculous power. Nice to see him perform well and get that reaction at home too. Hopefully we get to see him fight Cain next.

This is easy to say from where I'm sitting but I thought Overeem made a big mistake going for the guillotine when he had him hurt. He's one of the best at it but I thought he let Stipe off the hook and allowed him to recover.

Werdum/Browne was awful. Mainly because of Browne but Werdum didn't really impress either. I'm glad Dana said that performance wasn't worthy of getting the next title shot. I did like seeing him kick loud mouth Edmond Tarverdyan though.

Gall/Punk went pretty much as expected. Still don't know if Gall is good because of the competition he has faced but he has shown some solid skills.

Good for Rivera picking up a win over someone with a big name but that fight was terrible too.

Impressive win for Andrade. She could make some noise in that division.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So who the heck is next for Stipe? Heavyweight is such a gong show. These guys all hit too hard. Barely anyone can win more than a fight or two in a row.

I mean... I guess Cain or JDS?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Just watched the Gall/Punk and Miocic/Overeem fights. Wow. Surprised to see Punk blow his load so quickly and rush like that. Curious to see where he goes from here. I don't understand the hate in this thread, at least not yet. If Punk is retired 6 months from now, OK, fine, freak show, but if he sticks around and does this again, or better yet, he goes and takes a smaller fight elsewhere, shows some skill progression, I have mad respect for that.

So who the heck is next for Stipe? Heavyweight is such a gong show. These guys all hit too hard. Barely anyone can win more than a fight or two in a row.

I mean... I guess Cain or JDS?
Gotta be Cain, which I think is a nightmare matchup for Stipe. Werdum looked pretty good tonight, he'd make a good opponent for the Stipe / Cain winner. Ben Rothwell lost his last fight but he's still right there.
Overeem fought like a ***** that entire fight

Glad he got stopped
Why is that "fighting like a *****?" Keeping distance? Not standing and brawling with a guy who wants to stand and brawl? He knocked Miocic down and almost choked him out. ***** move talking to Rogan maybe, but fighting like a *****? No.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I'm not bitter on him leaving. Everyone is entitled to make those decisions. I do think he's a piece of **** for leaving the way he did. In the middle of a feud, which in turn effects other people (including his fans - the people that made him rich).

He's an idiot for accepting this if it wasn't exactly what I said --- for the money, which pretty much anyone would do.

I work with people with disabilities. It would be like me just saying.. "**** this, I don't need to finish my shift... find your way home fellas!

:rolleyes:

Yes, Punk leaving a job where his coworkers are making upwards of six figures a year(with or without him), and leaving his fans to find someone else to cheer for is the same as leaving people with disabilities to fend for themselves...

Sour apple bitter *****es.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
"Almost won it."

He caught Stipe good - he was in a good position to win the fight. He didn't. So what? He should retire now because he's not the best in the world?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Punk quit in the middle of a storyline and hurt the people he was working with. He could have finished the storyline with one more appearance but decided quitting on his fans and co-workers was the better choice. I can't respect people who hurt others when it can be easily fixed.

I get that he wanted to quit the WWE. I get that he was done with it. He could have still respected his co-workers and fans (a big part of the reason he's got the money he needs to be comfortable in life). But he just walked out. I could never walk out on a job - regardless if I was done with it or not because I know it would hurt others. I'll give my notice, I'll finish up my duties, and be on my way.

Just a personal thing. Same thing where I get mad as hell if people play sports with no heart.

Lol, the dude was sick as hell and somehow survived with a huge MRSA infection for months due to the negligence of the company.

He was an independent contractor. He could have done whatever he wanted. Instead of making himself miserable and depressed as hell and do something he didn't like anymore, he left, got himself help, got better and healthier, and didn't risk his opponents bodies in WWE by doing something he was 100% into anymore.

You claim you're not bitter but your posts in this thread and on the wrestling's boards' thread for the fight point to bitterness.

Punk got ****ed but he deserves all the respect in the world for having a dream and jumping at the chance and getting out of his comfort zone.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Did you notice his defense and his running away strategy? Against heavy hitters with big chins Overeem crumbles. He has had too many fights under his belt, I really think it's time he hangs them up.

He has also taken out a ton of heavy hitters himself. Welcome to HW MMA. He'll retire when he wants, he can still compete at the highest level.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
:rolleyes:

Yes, Punk leaving a job where his coworkers are making upwards of six figures a year(with or without him), and leaving his fans to find someone else to cheer for is the same as leaving people with disabilities to fend for themselves...

Sour apple bitter *****es.

But he was in the middle of a feud!!

Ah, wrestling fans. Never change.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
But he was in the middle of a feud!!

Ah, wrestling fans. Never change.

It seems some forget that they're human (and also independent contractors!).

Simple human logic - if you don't like something and it makes you miserable you don't ****ing do it anymore. Lol.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Punk got ****ed but he deserves all the respect in the world for having a dream and jumping at the chance and getting out of his comfort zone.

People keep telling me that anyone else would do the same thing, so no, he doesnt deserve respect for doing something anyone else would do.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have to say, that was the first time I watched even just part of a UFC show. Never had anything against the sport, just never had time to sit and get invested in it., although I hear about it often on wrestling podcasts and such. Would do again though.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
People keep telling me that anyone else would do the same thing, so no, he doesnt deserve respect for doing something anyone else would do.

Your post in the wrestling thread proved you wouldn't because it's out of your element or whatever. So it's understandable that you wouldn't since you'd be afraid to do it.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Your post in the wrestling thread proved you wouldn't because it's out of your element or whatever. So it's understandable that you wouldn't since you'd be afraid to do it.

I would do it. But I'd do it right and earn my spot. Not do to MMA fighters exactly what I *****ed about guys like the Rock doing to wrestlers like a hypocrite.

Wrestling fans like you don't care though so long as your boy gets whatever he wants.

Last edited:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
The little juicy meatball ref from the Werdum/Browne fight needs to go, IMO. Personally, I think refs and judges should have to pass the same drug tests the fighters face, and that dude makes the sport look bad.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The little juicy meatball ref from the Werdum/Browne fight needs to go, IMO. Personally, I think refs and judges should have to pass the same drug tests the fighters face, and that dude makes the sport look bad.

Seriously, he looked like he was about to pop and was beet red.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad