GDT: UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Conor is ten times the draw Diaz is, so he's gonna get away with a lot more. Not necessarily "fair", but that's how life works.

As for Lawler/McGregor, Lawler throttles him if he uses his wrestling, but we all know he won't. Diaz KOed him with a jab, so with Conor's timing/precision that he always talks about, there's no question he'd have a shot.

That was a very different Lawler that Nick KO'd though. I think current Lawler would not be fun for McGregor.

At the same time, I kind of want to see how far McGregor and Dana are willing to push this. Would he stop at Welterweight or push for Middleweight? Could we one day see a Roy Nelson-sized McGregor at HW?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Some of these interviews they did together are hilarious. "What the **** is this, the money channel? Who gives a ****?"

member 51464

Dude, is that satire?! lol. I cannot believe that Jane Wells video is real. haha

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Conor is ten times the draw Diaz is, so he's gonna get away with a lot more. Not necessarily "fair", but that's how life works.

As for Lawler/McGregor, Lawler throttles him if he uses his wrestling, but we all know he won't. Diaz KOed him with a jab, so with Conor's timing/precision that he always talks about, there's no question he'd have a shot.

Lawler that got KOd by Diaz and the current version are night and day.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Not that I'm going out on a huge limb here but there's gonna be a brawl at the weigh-in today.

That was a very different Lawler that Nick KO'd though. I think current Lawler would not be fun for McGregor.

At the same time, I kind of want to see how far McGregor and Dana are willing to push this. Would he stop at Welterweight or push for Middleweight? Could we one day see a Roy Nelson-sized McGregor at HW?
170 to 185 is by far the most difficult jump IMO. The size discrepancy seems to be the greatest between those two divisions for whatever reason. Mendes held Conor down essentially as long as he wanted. Rockhold or Weidman would DESTROY Conor.

Lawler that got KOd by Diaz and the current version are night and day.
His chin isn't any different. Conor caught Aldo loading up. Wouldn't shock me to see him do the same to Lawler.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
170 to 185 is by far the most difficult jump IMO. The size discrepancy seems to be the greatest between those two divisions for whatever reason. Mendes held Conor down essentially as long as he wanted. Rockhold or Weidman would DESTROY Conor.

Easily. I think the biggest difference between 170 and 185 is the size of the fighters' frames. 170 you typically have a lot of guys in the 5'9/5'10 height range where at 185 you've got guys in the 6'2/6'3 range. To put it in perspective, Conor is 5'9 with a 74" reach. Lawler is 5'10 with a 74" reach, and up until tomorrow night they used to be separated by 25lbs. Conor would get dummied by virtually any MW but he could potentially hold his own at 170. Will be interesting to see how he looks tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Some of these interviews they did together are hilarious. "What the **** is this, the money channel? Who gives a ****?"

Putting Nate Diaz on the CNBC interview was a horrible idea. Like Conor said, he should have taken a coffee break for 5 minutes. The guy probably doesn't even thought ahead as to what he is doing after the interview and you expect him to have the solution as to how the UFC can get as big as the NBA/NFL? :laugh:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I wonder what weight Conor will be sitting at going into the fight, because like 4 days from the weigh in he was still eating regular meals etc, so I cant imagine hes that far above 170.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Conor no longer looked like death while weighing in. He has to be done with 145 for good. He'll probably try to win a second belt to make history and then vacate the 145 title.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
v4UhDfy.jpg

This was hilarious.

And then this

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Nice pay day for Nate. I wouldn't be surprised if that's more than he has made in his last 10 fights combined (not counting fight night bonuses).

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Diaz is so cringy in that interview, even on the Fox Sports one haha. But pretty sure Conor could talk circles around all of us.

Oct 15, 2008
I think Connor is in trouble here. Huge reach advantage for Diaz and I believe he could take this to the ground in which case Connor will be in a world of trouble.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I think Connor is in trouble here. Huge reach advantage for Diaz and I believe he could take this to the ground in which case Connor will be in a world of trouble.

A submission win for Nate is certainly possible. My money is on McGregor though.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant

I think the only mistake Connor might make is dragging the fight out longer than he needs to. (thinking he needs to provide the paying fans with some kind of entertainment value per minute)

He needs to go in there aggressively and overwhelm Diaz with his precision, quickness, and technique.

If he drags it out and lets Nate hang around he gives him a punchers chance.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I thought Rory MacDonald suplexed Nate Diaz back down to lightweight years ago? To be fair though I don't pay much attention to either Diaz brother(because despite their bravado they are both boring fighters).

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I thought Rory MacDonald suplexed Nate Diaz back down to lightweight years ago? To be fair though I don't pay much attention to either Diaz brother(because despite their bravado they are both boring fighters).

Yes.

This is at 170 because of the short notice. They were negotiating for 160/5 and then agreed to 170.

I want Diaz to win, but I think it's a long shot.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant

Kicking either Diaz brother in the leg repeatedly works well.

Really well.

They hate that.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Kicking either Diaz brother in the leg repeatedly works well.

Really well.

They hate that.

I rewatched that Diaz vs Johnson fight. I don't think it's as bad of a weakness for Nate than it is for Nick. One of the more understated element of the MJ fight is how easy Nate adjusted for and avoided the kicks, as the fight went on, to the point MJ just abandoned the strategy. It's actually part of what makes Nate a technical better striker than Nick: he actually shockingly has a sense for striking defense... at least when he's not trying to fight like Nick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad