GDT: UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Conor still won't have the LW belt and he'll be fighting for WW? That's just insane. If he could happen to win that fight against Lawler, all the power to him. Seems awfully reckless by the UFC if not Conor himself.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Probably done intentionally by Conor to create a bit more buzz but you know the last press conference had to end in a near brawl. Nick Diaz, Jake Shields, and Joe Schilling all jumping on stage.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
You're telling me you wouldn't let your biggest money maker pick his fights and create even more hype dominating more than one weight class

TBH I would not let him. I'd ride him for a few more fights first and let him gain some muscle so he can fight at 170 without relying on skill.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Lol_7955f2_523101.jpg

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You're telling me you wouldn't let your biggest money maker pick his fights and create even more hype dominating more than one weight class

Based on his resume? Absolutely not. He's good on the mic. That's what is creating the hype. He hasn't even defended the belt he won on a lucky punch, and we're now hearing he can go to whatever weight class he wants and fight for the belt? Not to mention 2 of his last 3 opponents (including Diaz) are coming in on less than two weeks training. Tell me how that warrants the special treatment he's getting? He would make just the same amount of money for the UFC staying at 145. The likes of GSP, Silva, and Jones have made a ton of money for the UFC without jumping weight classes for title shots simply because they think they deserved it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
After years of hoping GSP/Anderson would move up and fight the best in other divisions and them repeatedly refusing to do so, I'm all for this. Conor backs up everything he says and really will fight anyone.

Some of you guys would really prefer Lawler/Woodley to Lawler/Conor at UFC 200?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'd only be interested in a Lawler/McGregor fight if Conor can come out and dominate Nate and finish the fight. Nate has proven to be a very tough guy to finish so if Conor can come in and finish the fight, it would be somewhat impressive. That said, Nate was a very poor 170'er and is really a 155'er so Conor beating him really doesn't say anything about his ability to fight at WW. I think the one benefit Conor would have fighting against Lawler is that Robbie would stand and bang with him and Conor might just be quick enough to avoid enough damage and might have enough power to be effective. Put him against any WW that would look to take him down and I don't think Conor would fair well at that weight class.

That said, as Avs stated, Conor has backed up everything he has said and comes to fight. I wish there were more guys like him in MMA, especially when it comes to the champs. There are waaaaay to many guys out there unwilling to take risks. It's refreshing to see a guy that isn't afraid to put his name/status on the line.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
People still down on GSP for not moving up in weight eh? Even though he was fighting in what might be one of the toughest divisions MMA has ever seen?

They kept lining up the best of the best and he kept pulling out the Ws.

I would get the criticism of his division was a joke, but it was obviously far from that

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
After years of hoping GSP/Anderson would move up and fight the best in other divisions and them repeatedly refusing to do so, I'm all for this. Conor backs up everything he says and really will fight anyone.

Some of you guys would really prefer Lawler/Woodley to Lawler/Conor at UFC 200?

I'd rather see Lawler/Condit 2. Have McGregor fight RDA at 200.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Nate did a much better job of at least being somewhat engaged at this press conference. I know it sounds crazy but I see McGregor walking right through him.
I'd rather see Lawler/Condit 2. Have McGregor fight RDA at 200.
This Is what I'd like to see as well. Condit deserves it and Conor/RDA would still be huge. Only way it's a bit of a tough sell is if Conor smokes Diaz.

member 51464

Unless McGregor is just the Wayne Gretzky of fighting, he is going to get smoked by one of these dudes eventually. It'll be real interesting to see how he reacts.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Probably done intentionally by Conor to create a bit more buzz but you know the last press conference had to end in a near brawl. Nick Diaz, Jake Shields, and Joe Schilling all jumping on stage.

What a girl. Sucker punching his hand.

Might have hurt it, too. Bunch of pics of Nate holding it later on.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lawler is a far more safe and winnable fight for McGregor than the RDA fight. Lawler takes a while to get warmed up, and eats shots while he does. That's tailor made for a guy like McGregor. He'll come out fast and win early, IMO. And I say that as a big fan of Lawler.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What a girl. Sucker punching his hand.

Might have hurt it, too. Bunch of pics of Nate holding it later on.

Not that it will make much of a difference to Scrooge McDuck, but Conor really should be fined for that punch he threw at Diaz. Afterwards he's bragging about how he supposedly injured Nate's hand and "how his wrist will never be the same", how is something like that allowed to happen out of competition?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Not that it will make much of a difference to Scrooge McDuck, but Conor really should be fined for that punch he threw at Diaz. Afterwards he's bragging about how he supposedly injured Nate's hand and "how his wrist will never be the same", how is something like that allowed to happen out of competition?

Dana probably would cut Diaz immediately after the fight if it happens the other way around. He'll just say McGregor is trying to sell the fight and get people involved.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Conor is ten times the draw Diaz is, so he's gonna get away with a lot more. Not necessarily "fair", but that's how life works.

As for Lawler/McGregor, Lawler throttles him if he uses his wrestling, but we all know he won't. Diaz KOed him with a jab, so with Conor's timing/precision that he always talks about, there's no question he'd have a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad