GDT: UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'll tell you one thing:

Seeing all these guys derail within 6-7 fights gives me that much more appreciation for guys like Anderson Silva and GSP and just how long those guys went without losing.

This x100. And don't forget Fedor and Mighty Mouse. And Jones.

Last edited:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
It's amusing that people call the Diaz bros idiots, Pejorative Slurs, and make other jokes about their lack of intelligence, but go back and look at all the pre and post-fight stuff. Nate was right about Conor. He was exposed as being just a power-puncher who demolished smaller guys. Being inarticulate and stupid are two different things.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I still can't see McMayweather having to defend the 145lb belt vs Aldo, at least not yet. If the fight goes longer than 13 seconds, Aldo has as good a chance than anyone else. First lose to Nate and then to Aldo/Edgar? No, the hype train would be absolutely ruined and there would be no coming back. That's why I think they'll throw Holloway in there before Edgar is healthy. Not that great on the ground, Conor can pick him apart on the feet. Plus Holloway is on an 8 fight win streak, dating back to his loss vs McMayweather in 2013. That more than qualifies him for a title shot based on UFC standards. :laugh:

member 51464

Not done with it yet, but full respect to Conor so far for his post-fight press conference. Humble in defeat and giving real insight into the fight and how it played out.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I've bet on Tate, Diaz and Bisping in vCash bets now :laugh: underdog UFC fights for the win. I haven't kept too much up with UFC the last couple of years but I knew the Diaz brothers had the talent to back it up. The McGregor hype was getting too big by casual fans, IMO, even though he's incredibly talented.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
My brother won a Cool 100 betting on Tate.

Gotta get myself back into the bet365 lol

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
If an out of shape Nate Diaz can finish him inside 2 rounds..what about a monster like RDA? I know MMA math doesnt add up but its a fair question.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If an out of shape Nate Diaz can finish him inside 2 rounds..what about a monster like RDA? I know MMA math doesnt add up but its a fair question.

He was in the middle of triathlon training (you know, riding bicycles with old ladies, in between teaching kids BJJ of course :sarcasm: ), so he wasn't out of shape. He told Joe that he felt fine, just couldn't much sparring in.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So Conor kinda called it again. Except the "him" in the prediction isn't Nate.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He was in the middle of triathlon training (you know, riding bicycles with old ladies, in between teaching kids BJJ of course :sarcasm: ), so he wasn't out of shape. He told Joe that he felt fine, just couldn't much sparring in.

Well fight shape.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
T6BVzIj.png

Sad seeing a guy who couldn't do what Diaz did try to inject himself into Nate's victory. So weak. Love what McGregor said on facebook about this guy. Keep telling yourself it wasn't a fight, Jose. Keep ignoring the fact that you pussed out, finally had to show up, and then got knocked the **** out. How he can post that after turning down the fight that Diaz took is beyond me.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm sorted interested to see if how Motivated and Injury-free Nate Diaz would do against RDA. Last time they fought, Nate had a knee injury and probably wasn't fighting optimally (and he still gave RDA problems for the first 3 minutes).

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I'm sorted interested to see if how Motivated and Injury-free Nate Diaz would do against RDA. Last time they fought, Nate had a knee injury and probably wasn't fighting optimally (and he still gave RDA problems for the first 3 minutes).
Still an awful matchup for him. A guy that can kick AND wrestle? A diaz's wosrt nightmare.

Alvarez or Ferguson.

I wish Nate was a bit bigger because 170 has better (more entertaining) matchups. He's just a bit too small.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nate and Nick both have the same problem they pretty much exclusively train cardio, boxing and bjj. People that can kick, move and are disciplined or strong wrestlers with good submission defence will always be a huge problem for them. It's too bad because they're both awesome.

The Diaz bros are more than capable of beating anyone on their day though -- they're both true fighters, not just athletes, and despite their aloof demeanor they're very technically strong and disciplined fighters. Tough as nails, too.

I also think his trash talk was underrated in the build-up. Diaz crushed McGregor with his talk about the midget division vs. fighting grown men.

No point in talking about Aldo...even though McGregor talks a big game he's a gamer. He'd probably go back in there with Diaz today. Aldo had that opportunity to step in there again and didn't take it -- then jumps on social media to call out McGregor after he's already been KOed? Please. Edgar deserves the next shot at Conor (and will beat him) much more than Aldo does.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
UFC 200
Rousey v Tate 3
Aldo v McGregor 2
Lawler v Condit 2
Holloway v Edgar

UFC 201
RDA v Diaz

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Nate and Nick both have the same problem they pretty much exclusively train cardio, boxing and bjj. People that can kick, move and are disciplined or strong wrestlers with good submission defence will always be a huge problem for them. It's too bad because they're both awesome.

The Diaz bros are more than capable of beating anyone on their day though -- they're both true fighters, not just athletes, and despite their aloof demeanor they're very technically strong and disciplined fighters. Tough as nails, too.

I also think his trash talk was underrated in the build-up. Diaz crushed McGregor with his talk about the midget division vs. fighting grown men.

No point in talking about Aldo...even though McGregor talks a big game he's a gamer. He'd probably go back in there with Diaz today. Aldo had that opportunity to step in there again and didn't take it -- then jumps on social media to call out McGregor after he's already been KOed? Please. Edgar deserves the next shot at Conor (and will beat him) much more than Aldo does.
Aldo wasn't medically cleared to train at that point. And no where close to being able to make 145 or 155 when that was offered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad