GDT: UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
T6BVzIj.png

awesome
there are weight classes for a reason , and really Dana and the boys were enjoying the hype ..
what champ has ever lost to a guy on 2 weeks notice ?
give Conner props for trying , but he just dropped like Chael Sonnon

Oct 18, 2011
anything can happen in MMA
enjoyed the show
atleast UFC gives us good fights, whereas in boxing guys just duck each other.

UFC will be fine, let's stop complaining about future fights losing steam. That mentality will be what prevents MMA from giving us good bouts....

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Great main event fights. Rest were meh.

Agreed with Nate, wasn't surprised. I was more worried about Dana telling the doctors to check the cut.

Going forward, because the UFC won't risk Conor losing two fights in a row, they set up his next fight while Edgar is still on the shelf and give him Holloway. Edgar and Aldo will fight for the title shot after that.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If the MMA journalists have any credibility, they will ask Dana who their next draw is for the sport.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nate ****in Diaz!

Wow! I'm surprised but big props to Nate. He was getting lit up at one point and it was starting to look pretty rough for him after the cut but all it took was one shot. Then he started working those combinations too and it was a wrap soon after that. I don't know if Conor was just badly hurt or if his ground game is really that poor but either way, Nate made it look easy once it hit the mat.

So many different directions they can go in with these guys now. If I'm Nate, I'm demanding a rematch with RDA for the LW title. No idea what happens with Conor though. Ideally you want him vs Frankie for the FW title but who knows what'll happen if he doesn't go back down.

Also, even though I would have picked him to win, I guess it's a good thing for Conor that the Lawler fight isn't happening. :laugh:

Miesha is just so damn relentless and tough. Never stops. I thought she was done but she pulled it off too. Great job on that takedown and transition to the choke.

Rest of the card was nothing special but holy ****, the top two fights delivered. What a night.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
Won 750 on a Tate-Diaz multi. I was shocked that Tate actually won, but I knew Connor wouldn't beat Nate.

There are weight classes for a reason, and McGregor is dominant when he's a natural 170ish cutting to 45. He may even be great at 55, who knows. I don't think he'll be able to dominate RDA. I certainly don't think he'll touch Khabib, but I'm a self confessed Nurmagomedov stan. I'd like to see him win at 145 to regain some traction. I think he's great for the UFC, I just never understood the hype, outside of those who don't really follow the sport or know the sport well. Beating Chad Mendes on a short camp in the fashion that he did wasn't impressive. Beating Siver and Brandao isn't much. Beating Poirier was impressive. The Aldo fight is still so confusing to me, but again it's still nothing compared to the legit greats of the sport. I'm rambling, I apologise.

I'm gonna go get more pissed and celebrate the beauty of gambling.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If the MMA journalists have any credibility, they will ask Dana who their next draw is for the sport.

I don't think losses hurt fighters and the UFC as much as people think. Conor is still going to be a big draw for them. So will Ronda if/when she comes back. The P4P best fighter is also back next month and that event is going to be huge.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Good for Diaz. He's always been in his brother's shadow.

Conor needed this loss, just like Rousey he was getting way too over the top and hopefully now he realizes why weight classes exist.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Crazy how much changed tonight. It seemed like Conor was all but done at 145 with a win tonight but now he says his next fight might be a title defense at 145.

I like Aldo but hopefully Frankie gets the next shot. Aldo can talk all he wants but he got knocked senseless in less than 15 seconds.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I LOVE Miesha Tate. I knew that girl was going to get a belt around her waist again. Tough girl, class act, hell of a fighter. She fought a great fight. Props also to Holly Holm, who also showed a lot of toughness when the heat was on. But as clear as it was when Holm showcases to the world Rousey's flaws in her game, Tate showcased to the world what Holms weakness was and that's on the ground. Holm's toughness and will kept her in the fight, but her panic and lack of experience on the mat was her undoing.

I was shocked to see McGregor lost because he is so skilled, but at the same time, I understood. 25 pound FIGHTING difference is going to take it's toil on any human being alive who's not use to fighting and moving at that class. Sure, he might have felt great walking around and even training at that weight, but it's different when in the cage in the moment. You don't move the same, you don't conserve energy the same, you breath differently. Plus, McGregor's insistence of using his speed and shifty movement as his main line of defense in the stand up instead of a typical boxer's guard with his hands up worked against him with the lack of energy and slower movement. Poor fight planning on the part of his camp and arrogance on McGregor's part.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Soooo great to see Conor submit like the ***** he is. Also, very nice to see Miesha win the belt. Been a fan of hers for a long time.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i like nate, he should be the draw, before the fight he openly stated in the presser with conor "everybody riots" hahah they quickly shuted down his mic :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad