GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
A full year of fully motivated Kuzy I think is going to surprise a lot of people this year. The guy has so much skill that if he puts in the effort, he’s an easy 50 point guy.

The assumption there is that we’re going to get a motivated Kuzy. He could very well have just been in a bad situation in Washington, but there’s that old saying about leopard and spots that could also apply here.

How sad is it that our 2nd line center position comes down to hoping 1 of 3 guys steps up and takes it and it’s more likely than not (IMO) that none of them will?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Gleb looks older than Kuzy.
I’m getting a suburbs vibe with Gleb being the young professional right out of college trying to be mature and Kuzy being the adult neighbor who invites everyone over to have beers in the garage wearing his frat t shirt with kids running around, acting completely immature like he’d do anything to go back to college.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The assumption there is that we’re going to get a motivated Kuzy. He could very well have just been in a bad situation in Washington, but there’s that old saying about leopard and spots that could also apply here.

How sad is it that our 2nd line center position comes down to hoping 1 of 3 guys steps up and takes it and it’s more likely than not (IMO) that none of them will?
it's really not that sad. We've essentially had the same situation for the last two seasons and recorded 113 and 111 point seasons.

No doubt we need to have a legit 2C, and we've lost some talent this past year, so not arguing that, but we've dealt with the same thing the last 2 seasons and it hasn't been the reason why we haven't gone further in the playoffs. That's been special teams and goaltending.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
it's really not that sad. We've essentially had the same situation for the last two seasons and recorded 113 and 111 point seasons.

No doubt we need to have a legit 2C, and we've lost some talent this past year, so not arguing that, but we've dealt with the same thing the last 2 seasons and it hasn't been the reason why we haven't gone further in the playoffs. That's been special teams and goaltending.

I mean, you're right that it's not the reason we haven't gone further. That's not really the point I was making though.

It was more that we're heading into this season with a massive hole in our 2C position and hoping for the best, and as you pointed out, we've been doing that for three years straight now. You'd think at some point in those 3 years, someone would either step up to fill the role, or we'd find someone in a trade/signing who could.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I think at the end of the day it will be Jarvis who locks in the 2C spot for us. He already checks all the boxes (faceoffs, defense, right handed shot). Rod can figure out the wings from there, but that’s how I ultimately think it will shake out.

But what do I know?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I mean, you're right that it's not the reason we haven't gone further. That's not really the point I was making though.

It was more that we're heading into this season with a massive hole in our 2C position and hoping for the best, and as you pointed out, we've been doing that for three years straight now. You'd think at some point in those 3 years, someone would either step up to fill the role, or we'd find someone in a trade/signing who could.
Sure. I agree.

I was more commenting on the dramatics of "how sad is it". Very few teams, if any, have no holes. Ours had been 2C. They tried KK 2 years ago and he showed some promise so they tried the same to start this year. They brought in Kuzy at the deadline. If it doesn't work out, I suspect they'll try something else. It's not like they've been sitting on their hands.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sure. I agree.

I was more commenting on the dramatics of "how sad is it". Very few teams, if any, have no holes. Ours had been 2C. They tried KK 2 years ago and he showed some promise so they tried the same to start this year. They brought in Kuzy at the deadline. If it doesn't work out, I suspect they'll try something else. It's not like they've been sitting on their hands.

Few teams have no holes, but the 2C is a pretty big hole to not have as a contender. If I were to rank positions, 2C would probably be only behind goalie, 1C, and 1D in terms of importance to a team.

And they've not been sitting on their hands, but they haven't seemed to put forth the same effort in addressing it as they could be. KK was a hope and a prayer that he'd develop into one, Kuzy was a bargain bin pickup, and now we're ignoring everything we know about Necas in his career thus far and hoping he somehow clicks into that role.

Meanwhile, the big trades/signings we've been attempting to pull off? Tkachuk, Meier, Guentzel, Ehlers, maybe Marner? All great players, all would be good additions to the team, all wingers. And we do need those as well, but it's certainly easier to ignore a hole in the wing than a hole down the middle.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Few teams have no holes, but the 2C is a pretty big hole to not have as a contender. If I were to rank positions, 2C would probably be only behind goalie, 1C, and 1D in terms of importance to a team.

And they've not been sitting on their hands, but they haven't seemed to put forth the same effort in addressing it as they could be. KK was a hope and a prayer that he'd develop into one, Kuzy was a bargain bin pickup, and now we're ignoring everything we know about Necas in his career thus far and hoping he somehow clicks into that role.

Meanwhile, the big trades/signings we've been attempting to pull off? Tkachuk, Meier, Guentzel, Ehlers, maybe Marner? All great players, all would be good additions to the team, all wingers. And we do need those as well, but it's certainly easier to ignore a hole in the wing than a hole down the middle.
this is elias pettersson erasure

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There’s been a wide variance at 2C in this post lockout era. Teams have won with all time greats like Malkin and Stamkos. There’s fringe hall of famers like Rod, Krejci, Carter and Backstrom. We’ve seen true 2nd line types in recent years like Bennett, Karlsson and Gourde. And then Chicago had dynastic success with a winger out of position in Sharp one year, an end of the line Handzus the next time and finally a past his prime Brad Richards.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There’s been a wide variance at 2C in this post lockout era. Teams have won with all time greats like Malkin and Stamkos. There’s fringe hall of famers like Rod, Krejci, Carter and Backstrom. We’ve seen true 2nd line types in recent years like Bennett, Karlsson and Gourde. And then Chicago had dynastic success with a winger out of position in Sharp one year, an end of the line Handzus the next time and finally a past his prime Brad Richards.
Bullshit BDC. Stop trying to be rational.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
As far as 2C is concerned, I see Kuznetsov and Roslovic as sorts of insurance policies there. Ideally, Kotkaniemi can grab the bull by the horns and the other two function more as scoring depth to sprinkle around the lineup. KK is still a huge wild card to me despite his struggles last season. He's still so young, having just turned 24, and the physical tools to be successful are all there. If he can take steps forward this year, it'll be a huge confidence boost for everyone.

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
As far as 2C is concerned, I see Kuznetsov and Roslovic as sorts of insurance policies there. Ideally, Kotkaniemi can grab the bull by the horns and the other two function more as scoring depth to sprinkle around the lineup. KK is still a huge wild card to me despite his struggles last season. He's still so young, having just turned 24, and the physical tools to be successful are all there. If he can take steps forward this year, it'll be a huge confidence boost for everyone.
People either forget or don't care that he's younger than Drury and barely older than Suzuki, and has 6 years already playing in the NHL. I could very easily see him being the solution still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad