GWT: UCL R16 First Legs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He made lots of bad choices in the last 25 meters and killed many attacks. Still as I said I don't think he was that bad.
Hakimi, Mendes...

Whne Mbappe scored the whole team sprinted towards him. Messi showed zero emotion and didn't move.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He made lots of bad choices in the last 25 meters and killed many attacks. Still as I said I don't think he was that bad.
Hakimi, Mendes...

Whne Mbappe scored the whole team sprinted towards him. Messi showed zero emotion and didn't move.

he wasn’t e lite but created most of their chances. Those two had solid games but I don’t think either had the influence that messi did. For the record Messi was rated a 3 worse than Di Marie lol.

looks bad but that’s literally 3 seconds out of context. A longer video he jogs back to celebrate

he could be unhappy if that’s the case I know his happy place :)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Doesn't show much emotion still. But then again, the penalty was probably on his mind (I thought his play dropped significantly after the miss) and he was probably tired too.
ADM was awful offensively but boy did he work hard defensively, something Messi didn't do (not that he was asked to).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Doesn't show much emotion still. But then again, the penalty was probably on his mind (I thought his play dropped significantly after the miss) and he was probably tired too.
ADM was awful offensively but boy did he work hard defensively, something Messi didn't do (not that he was asked to).
I’m just saying a small clip out of context doesn’t show anything. I thought I saw him smiling with Mpabbe after too. Don’t think it’s an issue of hun being unhappy psg won at all.

either way messi was obviously much better. Psg didn’t do much defending either way. No need to.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Also look at how their entire defensive tactic was based on marking him. When Mane came out, Diaz was a lot more dangerous and they couldn't do that anymore. The difference between this Liverpool and last season's Liverpool is that Klopp never has to use defensive tactics like that. We have our one guy who can mark anyone, and that's it, and it massively unbalances the field in our favor.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also look at how their entire defensive tactic was based on marking him. When Mane came out, Diaz was a lot more dangerous and they couldn't do that anymore. The difference between this Liverpool and last season's Liverpool is that Klopp never has to use defensive tactics like that. We have our one guy who can mark anyone, and that's it, and it massively unbalances the field in our favor.
Diaz signing was great. It was interesting because in January we won most of our games but it reminded me of those late Rodgers/early Klopp teams that were led by Coutinho. They could put up some offense now and then but they were very slow. I think one of the reasons Diaz was on top of the LFC list of because not a lot of players in the world have that combination for speed, close control and newly developed finishing that Diaz has. They have another guy that can stretch the field now and every game he has played he has created havoc. Long May it continue. It’s great to have a guy off the bench like that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

They’ve played in the QF before. It could happen. This would be nuclear.

Honestly don’t want to play another English team because it’s boring; not afraid of any draw at this point.

Four games (especially in a row) against any opponent would burn me out. LFC have to play Norwich four times this season and I am burned out.

Reactions: Power Man

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hey Savant, do you still feel PSG isn't one of the CL favourites?
Compared to whom? I’ll re-rank after R16. Need more information. I had them ranked similar to Madrid pre-R16 draw. Don’t think I would move their odds up or down based on what I saw though. They CAN win, but I wouldn’t say they have the best chance to do so.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think you said they were in a lower tier than Bayern, Liverpool and City IIRC.
Sounds about right. I stand by that. Bayern wavering a bit but generally they are weakest in R16 and can gain steam. If they recover from injuries/Covid they are certainly up there. All depends on the draw though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wonder why you would make any of those 3 above PSG.
Pochettino. PSG’s midfield is weird/do they know their best lineup? City have shown they can beat PSG. LFC have shown they are on City’s level. Bayern is Bayern but need to cover from injury/COVID

PSG is good but very top heavy. They can beat any of those teams but vice versa. Think the other teams are a bit more well rounded though no denying PSG’s ceiling. PSG beating any of those teams wouldn’t exactly be a surprise or an upset, and they are in that echelon, I just feel they aren’t as settled, but you also can make the argument that they haven’t peaked yet either. A lot will depend on QF draw. Inter, Madrid and Salzburg still may have something to say.

Here are 538 odds which aren’t perfect but interesting

UEFA Champions League Predictions

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG has proven to be able to beat Bayern too, so that's a weird reasonning. You probably missed the Real game if you can't see Poch's good impact.
They've just beaten Real and played them off the pitch while Bayern gathered a miracle draw out of Salzburg.

Anyway...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
PSG has proven to be able to beat Bayern too, so that's a weird reasonning. You probably missed the Real game if you can't see Poch's good impact.
They've just beaten Real and played them off the pitch while Bayern gathered a miracle draw out of Salzburg.

Anyway...
I don’t think Pochettino did much of anything against Madrid quite honestly. Ancelotti decided not to play, think anyone could have managed their way through that. Real let PSG play them off the pitch. And if that was playing them off the pitch it was still very boring and easily could have finished 0-0, so wouldn’t be too proud of that.

Bayern you can get in R16. They are still banged up and have had COVID issues. They may be picking up steam for the Quarters. Wouldn’t write them off yet. But fair play to Salzburg. I was was more impressed by their manager than I was by Pochettino last week. For sure.

and as I said. All four of those teams can beat each other. These teams are all very good and I am not trying to disrespect PSG either. I think City and LFC are the two best at full strength, which I have said for months and have no reason to change my mind of that. But the best team does not always win.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't see how anyone can't see Poch's spectacular tactic against Real. His pressure schemes, roles of Paredes and Danilo, etc...
Real didn't decide to turn the ball over in their last 30 meters all the time !

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I can't see how anyone can't see Poch's spectacular tactic against Real. His pressure schemes, roles of Paredes and Danilo, etc...
Real didn't decide to turn the ball over in their last 30 meters all the time !
I think the spectacular tactic was Ancelotti’s. Spectacularly bad. He did Pochettino a huge favor.

If we want to give credit to Pochettino, okay - but he is still behind Klopp and Pep. The PL teams have the advantage there.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Seems totally crazy to me.
So Ancelotti's tac was give up the ball in your last 30 meters. :dunno:
Poch beat Pep in a CL matchup. If he can surprise me again like he has last week, then I can't see how he couldn't beat him again.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Seems totally crazy to me.
So Ancelotti's tac was give up the ball in your last 30 meters. :dunno:
Poch beat Pep in a CL matchup. If he can surprise me again like he has last week, then I can't see how he couldn't beat him again.
Hopefully they play again! Can you draw group stage opponent in QF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad