Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Edler and Myers are getting absolutely ventilated over the last 4 games giving up 49 scoring chances at 5v5. I think it's time to bring back Edler-Tanev shutdown pair, and maybe try out Hughes-Myers in offensive deployment.
I agree with this.
Hughes has shown enough that he doesn't need a babysitter and i feel like Myers could actually make something of the playmaking and shooting lanes he opens up. Tanev dumping pucks in the corner is getting a little frustrating. Its worth a shot before Edler and Myers crater anymore.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Okay I get you. I'd say Tanev, Edler and Myers are all number threes at best though I would also allow that Myers has surpassed my own expectations thus far. How about you?

Uh, I went into the season calling Myers a bottom pair defenseman. I said he was basically Gudbranson with more offense. He’s proven me wrong in one area: he hasn’t produced more offense than what we would get from Gudbranson yet. So he’s been worse than I expected.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
He
Uh, I went into the season calling Myers a bottom pair defenseman. I said he was basically Gudbranson with more offense. He’s proven me wrong in one area: he hasn’t produced more offense than what we would get from Gudbranson yet. So he’s been worse than I expected.
He’s nothing like gudbranson. He can actually skate and make a forward tape to tape pass.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's been far, far better than Gudbranson. By a country mile, at both ends of the rink. You can criticize the signing without going completely over the top.

So far, he's looked like a decent but horribly overpaid #4-5 guy playing #2 minutes who held in there for a while and is now struggling. Gudbranson is a mid-pairing AHLer.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I get you hate Benning and all, but good lord do you ever go off the rails with assessments. You are about the only one here making such an extreme claim on how bad Myers has been. I don't even like the player or contract but what does going overboard accomplish for any of us trying to discuss the topic?

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He

He’s nothing like gudbranson. He can actually skate and make a forward tape to tape pass.

He's been far, far better than Gudbranson. By a country mile, at both ends of the rink. You can criticize the signing without going completely over the top.

So far, he's looked like a decent but horribly overpaid #4-5 guy playing #2 minutes who held in there for a while and is now struggling. Gudbranson is a mid-pairing AHLer.

I get you hate Benning and all, but good lord do you ever go off the rails with assessments. You are about the only one here making such an extreme claim on how bad Myers has been. I don't even like the player or contract but what does going overboard accomplish for any of us trying to discuss the topic?

This is why no one takes you seriously.

Am I going to have to come back and multi-quote these again in a couple years when Myers is unanimously accepted as being as bad as Gudbranson?

I compared Gudbranson to being a right handed Sbisa when we first acquired him and I was called out with almost these exact same posts. I referred to Gudbranson as a bottom pair defenseman, and you could probably copy and paste some of these words from some of these very same posters.

I don't like using analytics with such small sample sizes, but comparing Gudbranson to Myers this year in terms of WAR, Gudbranson has been a replacement level player with a 0.1 WAR, while Myers has been sub-replacement level with a -0.9 WAR. Gudbranson has a 0.6 Goals Above Replacement, while Myers is at -5.3 Goals Above Replacement. In fact, Myers has the worst WAR and GAR in the league.

In terms of point production, okay, Gudbranson trails Myers by 3 points, I'll give you that. Is it really material though when we're talking about 1 point vs. 4?

To suggest Myers has even been a fringe second pairing guy this season is just flat out wrong.

But okay, you don't like the comparison to Gudbranson. Fine. How about we go with a right handed, taller version of Ben Hutton? Seems quite comparable based on the limited sample this season.

My assessment isn't extreme, nor does it have anything to do with Benning. Tyler Myers simply isn't very good, and hasn't been good at all this year.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
My assessment isn't extreme, nor does it have anything to do with Benning. Tyler Myers simply isn't very good, and hasn't been good at all this year.
It's extreme. Why aren't you praising his CF%? Usually that's one of the things you bring up.

Generally in the past you've pumped tires on guys who push the CF....why not this year? or with this player? He and Edler are both in the top 30 for defensman in CF%.

I don't think that highly of Myers, but your assessments are beyond ridiculous and you put way too much into the GAR and WAR.

Reactions: Jimbo57

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Corsi is wonky this year so far. Across the league it is not correlating to expected goals for teams that as a consequence it likely is even less reliable for assessment for individuals right now. But fair enough to bring it up given the posters history.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What's this about the Canucks intentionally leaking higher contract numbers about potential FA signings and then signing at lower amounts to look better? Is the first we are hearing of this? Friedman is the source to this, apparently.

Would we be looking at the Myers deal differently because of this?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What's this about the Canucks intentionally leaking higher contract numbers about potential FA signings and then signing at lower amounts to look better? Is the first we are hearing of this? Friedman is the source to this, apparently.

Would we be looking at the Myers deal differently because of this?
Is this in a tweet from Friedman or his 31 Thoughts column? That would sound almost too smart for this management regime... but then again when it comes to optics they seemingly stop at nothing to make themselves look better.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Is this in a tweet from Friedman or his 31 Thoughts column? That would sound almost too smart for this management regime... but then again when it comes to optics they seemingly stop at nothing to make themselves look better.

Account4Hockey is a scribe that writes down quotes he hears from the radio.

Reactions: MS and timw33

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Am I going to have to come back and multi-quote these again in a couple years when Myers is unanimously accepted as being as bad as Gudbranson?

I compared Gudbranson to being a right handed Sbisa when we first acquired him and I was called out with almost these exact same posts. I referred to Gudbranson as a bottom pair defenseman, and you could probably copy and paste some of these words from some of these very same posters.

I don't like using analytics with such small sample sizes, but comparing Gudbranson to Myers this year in terms of WAR, Gudbranson has been a replacement level player with a 0.1 WAR, while Myers has been sub-replacement level with a -0.9 WAR. Gudbranson has a 0.6 Goals Above Replacement, while Myers is at -5.3 Goals Above Replacement. In fact, Myers has the worst WAR and GAR in the league.

In terms of point production, okay, Gudbranson trails Myers by 3 points, I'll give you that. Is it really material though when we're talking about 1 point vs. 4?

To suggest Myers has even been a fringe second pairing guy this season is just flat out wrong.

But okay, you don't like the comparison to Gudbranson. Fine. How about we go with a right handed, taller version of Ben Hutton? Seems quite comparable based on the limited sample this season.

Have nothing against you y2k. Just a good discourse going on here. I think the whole management team except for Bracket and a few others are inept.

That being said, you'll not get me to agree that Myers is equal or worse than Gudbranson. Guds was one of the biggest duds I've seen play D for us in recent years. I couldn't believe a player that big and with such a draft pedigree could not do anything but slap the puck off of the glass to get it out of his own zone.

Have you been watching much this season of play? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, but here I hold the eye test of higher value when evaluating a player. The whole team playing like trash makes it hard for me to single out and put the blame on one single player, when so many are deserving.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Wow, you seem to think he's completely awful. For me he's been a mildly pleasant surprise.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Have nothing against you y2k. Just a good discourse going on here. I think the whole management team except for Bracket and a few others are inept.

That being said, you'll not get me to agree that Myers is equal or worse than Gudbranson. Guds was one of the biggest duds I've seen play D for us in recent years. I couldn't believe a player that big and with such a draft pedigree could not do anything but slap the puck off of the glass to get it out of his own zone.

Have you been watching much this season of play? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, but here I hold the eye test of higher value when evaluating a player. The whole team playing like trash makes it hard for me to single out and put the blame on one single player, when so many are deserving.

To be fair, I haven’t watched many games this season. And I don’t like using analytics with such a small sample size, but pulling out the ones that I have after watching the last game they paint a very ugly picture.

His CF% is surprisingly high, but his xGF% is below 50%, and his WAR and GAR (2 stats that I’ve been putting more and more stock into since last season) are the worst in the league.

He also got walked around by Bonino tonight. Just seems that the few games I have watched he’s looked awful in too.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think that way and his numbers seem to suggest he has been awful.
I don't know about the numbers; don't really understand statistics. I kinda think he's been better than Gudbranson just about everywhere except net front. I would like him to be stronger there. Would I have signed him though? Nope.

But I don't think he's been the disaster and fan lightning rod I expected him to be.

Reactions: Grantham

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Lol people are just realizing that management may have thrown out false flags now in regards to contracts?

I don’t recall you speculating that this was the case. Like it was an automatic from one of the dumbest management teams in the league. Can you link to a previous post of yours that suggests this? Thanks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What is Tyler Myers? With four assists in 20 games, you can't say he's an 'offensive d-man". And after the last week, it'd be a stretch to suggest that he's anything close to a 'shutdown' d-man.

But thanks to Jimbo, I guess we're going to find out over the next five seasons. Based on early returns, it could get ugly fast.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

This isn't Friedman claiming the Canucks float higher contract figures than they intend to offer. This is Friedman mentioning an offer he heard the Canucks might make and making no suggestion it wasn't sincere. Then someone else quotes the offer and suggests it's been established that the team deliberately floats rumours of contracts they do not intend to offer, without providing any evidence this is true or quoting anyone who has actually said this.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This isn't Friedman claiming the Canucks float higher contract figures than they intend to offer. This is Friedman mentioning an offer he heard the Canucks might make and making no suggestion it wasn't sincere. Then someone else quotes the offer and suggests it's been established that the team deliberately floats rumours of contracts they do not intend to offer, without providing any evidence this is true or quoting anyone who has actually said this.

I understand this. Why is James making this statement as if it is a matter of fact?

James has built up a following as a radio scribe. There's no motivation for him to suggest that the Canucks have intentionally overstated contract amounts before signing players to lower numbers.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

This isn't totally implausible, though if they have leaked things like this before to play the fanbase I'm sure there'd be something similar for the likes of signings like Myers for instance. IIRC this very same board feared he'd get 7x7 from Benning, though TBH I don't know whether that came from a rumour such as the above or fan speculation or just looking at UFA comparables.

I'd be curious to see if there have been rumoured figures like this before on Twitter or something. Because where is Account4hockey basing that statement on otherwise?

However the part of the tweet implying they didn't understand that they couldn't extend him until the offseason, I definitely believe immediately. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad