Confirmed with Link: TYLER MOTTE TO NYR

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
would have been nice to see him earlier in season if that was possible? Time is kinda running out to see what we have in him as an NHL 4c guy if the Rangers won't give him that chance by the TDL and the playoffs.
Sadly he was injured exactly at the time they needed him. Would have been a perfect time to see if he has what it takes to play at the NHL level.

Reactions: bl02 and nyr2k2

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For all his speed, Gauthier has the same
points as Motte. But he doesn’t block shots, hit, or penalty kill. Motte is a clear upgrade.
Gauthier is one of the most frequent hitters in the league.

He just doesn't Trouba people which is harder for a forward and I would argue not that useful because you're almost certainly out of position.

And FWIW Motte isn't "mean" or really that conventionally/noticably physical either.

I think they're both good forecheckers and speed matters way more than hitting in that regard.

I'm just glad we didn't trade Gauthier for a guy who is characterized as mean and noticably physical. That's never been a good sign as long as I've been watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: nsvoyageurs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gauthier is one of the most frequent hitters in the league.

He just doesn't Trouba people which is harder for a forward and I would argue not that useful because you're almost certainly out of position.

And FWIW Motte isn't "mean" or really that conventionally/noticably physical either.

I think they're both good forecheckers and speed matters way more than hitting in that regard.

I'm just glad we didn't trade Motte for a guy who is characterized as mean and noticably physical. That's never been a good sign as long as I've been watching.

Gauthier throws 12 hits every 60 min of ice time, somewhere around 50th in the league with players who played more than 30 games.
Matte throws 10 hits every 60 min of ice time.

Not really much of a difference.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Motte is a big upgrade insofar as he'll be used on the penalty kill.

Stealing this from @Raspewtin but 4th liners do so little of essence over large samples that they almost have to PK to get value even out of what little they make.

Fewer opportunities for Kreider and Zibanejad to get hurt is good.

If I were building a 4th line, I would forget hitting (which is a boondoggle) and 5v5 defense (which 95% of them suck at - they're 4th liners!) and entirely prioritize speed and penalty killing. Everyone is Carl Hagelin.

The best 4th line in the world is one where they're your top three penalty killers.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The Rangers: "We're overpaying for Goodrow because he gives us a lot of versatility."

Also the Rangers: "If we play Goodrow anywhere but RW, God will die."
Wouldn't it be nice, if we could just trade away those players who are not necessary for the roster? After all, we are New York, so none of the players should have any clauses in their contracts. We are the NYR, so we should be able to say to those players it's a privilege to be here, so we should be able to just swap those bottom roster players because no club would be stupid enough to give them clauses in their contracts...

"looks up Goodrow @CapFriendly"
...oh

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Lindy

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gauthier throws 12 hits every 60 min of ice time, somewhere around 50th in the league with players who played more than 30 games.

Top 50 is the second best on most teams. That's up there.

Barkov, Hischier, Meier, and Giroux are around 50th in scoring.

That there's not much of a difference is kind of my point.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m not convinced 91 will be better than Copp. Copp was pretty good
Tarasenko is getting seriously underrated on here.

He shot well below career-average for the Blues this year. When he's converting a normal rate, he's 75 points out of the box.

Copp's career high is 53 and he was headed for much lower until he came here and shot TWENTY FIVE ass percent for the Rangers. He's a 40-point player.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

I was looking at career rates.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Classic example of Brooks working both sides of the street
2CE8CAE5-C168-4C2D-8C0E-088A3903C9B3.jpeg
D6ED0880-9E6C-4743-A3B1-C28CB19ADDDC.jpeg

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yeah, Copp is kind of just there. He legit did well with Panarin, unlike the Strome fairy tale, but he's just a guy.

Tarasenko is a star on his game.
Yup. I liked Copp and he brought the ability to move the puck through the NZ with possession reliably which is what that line needed but a comfortable Tarasenko will be a more impactful player. The type who can make things happen entirely on his own, which all due respect to Copp but he’s a support player.

Last edited:

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Jimmy Vesey. And Krav is back in the top 9.
They should really try this until the trade deadline just to see what they have. If it doesn’t work, at least you know what you need. Drury should waive Jake tomorrow to force Gallant’s hand and save a little more space for the deadline. If Gallant goes 7d instead of Kravtsov then you really know where you are, but ideally kravtsov is given a shot for a couple weeks. May be sacrilege but would break up the kids in the short term and try Kravtsov in place of Kakko there. Nice spot for him and Kakko did well on the top line earlier this year

Kreider-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Trocheck-Tank
Laf-Chytil-Kravtsov
Motte-Goodrow-Vesey

Roll 4 lines and see how it goes. We’re pretty much locked into the 2 or 3 spot in the metro so might as well try things while we can

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
They should really try this until the trade deadline just to see what they have. If it doesn’t work, at least you know what you need. Drury should waive Jake tomorrow to force Gallant’s hand and save a little more space for the deadline. If Gallant goes 7d instead of Kravtsov then you really know where you are, but ideally kravtsov is given a shot for a couple weeks. May be sacrilege but would break up the kids in the short term and try Kravtsov in place of Kakko there. Nice spot for him and Kakko did well on the top line earlier this year

Kreider-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Trocheck-Tank
Laf-Chytil-Kravtsov
Motte-Goodrow-Vesey

Roll 4 lines and see how it goes. We’re pretty much locked into the 2 or 3 spot in the metro so might as well try things while we can
Generally like the idea.

However, I'd go:
10-16-91
13-72-24
20-93-74
64-21-26

Don't want to break up the kid line and with Kreider and Zibanejad's best 5v5 chances off the rush of late (and Kreider clearly playing hurt) would rather not put Kakko with them and let VK bring his better speed to that line. Kid line stays the best forechecking line and keep the chemistry rolling. Just my 2c tho.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Really not a fan of trading Gauthier. I know he doesn’t score, but his speed and ability to drive the net brought a ton of value in my opinion.

I like Motte but I’d prefer to see him playing with Gauthier.

Agree with this. I know people say jewels isn't exactly a fourth liner, but I think he was fine in that role this season.

I would have rather sent them a fourth round pick

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I think the biggest weakness among NHL coaches is who they play on the fourth line.

I mean we've been through multiple coaches at this point and we all seem to agree that they always get the fourth line wrong one way or another

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad