Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, that’s part of it, but when he played, he also has been outscored by pretty much every prospect from that draft, even D-men from the sixth round

If Boucher was a 4th+ round pick, we wouldn’t even talk about him right now
I hear you, I guess we’ll see what he is as a prospect if he can actually string together a full season of play and development.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well, that’s part of it, but when he played, he also has been outscored by pretty much every prospect from that draft, even D-men from the sixth round

If Boucher was a 4th+ round pick, we wouldn’t even talk about him right now

This fan base almost made Bobby Butler in the HOF in his first preseason. We’d be talking about him

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Tyler Boucher needs to stay healthy and play the rest of the season. We don’t even know what we have here, he missed so much hockey. Think he has pro hockey shot and skating already, along with his nasty and hard hitting ways which are sought after in the NHL (short in supply). Needs to prove himself in the AHL first.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
I think another good comparable for Tyler Boucher is the Duck's Max Jones. Jones scouting report sounds like it could be Boucher's..
"At his best, he is a powerful skater who will go to the net and engage opposing defensemen while using his large frame to help his team keep possession. He will finish checks and play on the edge (though usually not go over it). As he moves into his prime, he is also growing into an effective penalty killer. Injuries can be an issue for him."

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
This fan base almost made Bobby Butler in the HOF in his first preseason. We’d be talking about him
Damn that 2011 offseason full of Bobby butler promotions on buses and tv ads had me so pumped up for him…free prospect turns into a superstar. Alas….

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Damn that 2011 offseason full of Bobby butler promotions on buses and tv ads had me so pumped up for him…free prospect turns into a superstar. Alas….
Really shines a light on the kind of operation ConMan Prime ran doesn't it?

"We got a free player! GIVE ME YOUR MONEY YOU BAD FANS"

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think another good comparable for Tyler Boucher is the Duck's Max Jones. Jones scouting report sounds like it could be Boucher's..
"At his best, he is a powerful skater who will go to the net and engage opposing defensemen while using his large frame to help his team keep possession. He will finish checks and play on the edge (though usually not go over it). As he moves into his prime, he is also growing into an effective penalty killer. Injuries can be an issue for him."

This is actually a good comparison and would be quite a success history, well relatively because Jones has not been a very good 4th liner on a very bad team. Not much of an upgrade on Parker Kelly. Jones seems to be improving though and like Boucher, didn't burn the OHL back then

I hear you, I guess we’ll see what he is as a prospect if he can actually string together a full season of play and development.

If he can stay healthy and just turn into a decent prospect, I'll take it since we have bled so much the last few years in that regard.

Hmmm, HOF sounds like massive hyperbole, we had high hopes for him but he had quite the break out in his 22 y/o college season, which put him on the radar of every NHL team. he had a pretty good start in the NHL too, he couldn't sustain it but as of now, it will be an uphill for Boucher to have the NA career that Butler had

AHL 357 GP 119 Goals 112 Assists 231 Points
NHL 130 GP 20 Goals 29 Assists 49 Points

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not denying that we reached and gambled but part of my point is that we don't know HOW bad of a pick he was because injuries have not allowed for a fair assessment and have curbed his development. Add to this the fact that he is only 20 and I think you have a lot of people (like me) who are still rightfully saying 'wait and see.' I'm not pretending that he will live up to 10th OA but he still has time to redeem himself and become an NHL player so I just don't get why people want to make sensationalized claims.

Yes, it is logical to be critical of the pick at the time (which I trust you in particular were because you have a good track record for prospect knowledge). But after that I think there is still an asterisk beside the 'worst pick ever' claim because we just don't know. Someone like Mclraith was a reach and a legit bust. Not saying that's worse but it is certainly different than someone who never got a chance to show whatever potential they had due to injury.

And the Patrick comparison was simply in response to the poster who held pre draft injuries against Boucher. Patrick had pre draft injuries and PHI ignored those and it bit them. Yes he had more potential, WAY more potential, completely different. But PHI overlooking the injury warnings and having it backfire at #2 overall when three franchise players went behind him had far greater consequences than Boucher at 10. There's hindsight but Patrick's portfolio of injuries was growing before the draft.

I agree that if he had stayed fully healthy, maybe it would have lessen the blow of reaching so much. He turns 21 y/o in January by the way

The point is even if he never got injured, it's hard to see him living up to that draft selection, not his fault, it was unfair to him right from the start. My example of McIlrath pick was that people blasted the pick but he was seen as a mid first round pick, he wasn't even that much of a reach, unlike Boucher who was a 2nd round pick for many scouting sources.

So yeah I understand your point about injuries, but that's where the Patrick comparison stops, he was seen as a high first round talent. I think you mentioned Maidens (or it was someone else?) but I liked that selection, took a flyer with a 3rd round pick for a guy who would have easily been a first round pick if no concussion issues.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree that if he had stayed fully healthy, maybe it would have lessen the blow of reaching so much. He turns 21 y/o in January by the way

The point is even if he never got injured, it's hard to see him living up to that draft selection, not his fault, it was unfair to him right from the start. My example of McIlrath pick was that people blasted the pick but he was seen as a mid first round pick, he wasn't even that much of a reach, unlike Boucher who was a 2nd round pick for many scouting sources.

So yeah I understand your point about injuries, but that's where the Patrick comparison stops, he was seen as a high first round talent. I think you mentioned Maidens (or it was someone else?) but I liked that selection, took a flyer with a 3rd round pick for a guy who would have easily been a first round pick if no concussion issues.
So your point is that if he hypothetically was healthy, he'd have hypothetically never lived up to the draft status.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So your point is that if he hypothetically was healthy, he'd have hypothetically never lived up to the draft status.

Uh, I don’t know it seems quite simple… He had no chance to live up to the pick status and the injuries made it worse

Is it still unclear?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Maidens was only picked because they hired his junior head coach to be an assistant for the Sens just before the draft.

But ottawa value drafting injured players is a real thing under Dorion, they did it a lot and it obviously doesn’t always work

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Maidens was only picked because they hired his junior head coach to be an assistant for the Sens just before the draft.

But ottawa value drafting injured players is a real thing under Dorion, they did it a lot and it obviously doesn’t always work

Maidens was drafted in 2012 when Bryan Murray was still the GM. Dorion was the director of player personnel at that moment

Maidens was drafted at that spot because if he could get over his concussion issues, he would have been a really great value pick from the 3rd round

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Buttsanity
I have that every time I walk by a yoga studio

Butler was, strangely very good for a bit. He has a legit Linsanity run. Not quite linsanity. But you get it.
I was bought in.

He scored goals in so many different ways and immediately looked like an NHL player. I thought Spezza was going to feed him for 30 goals.

Good times. So easy to be wrong with young players.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I have that every time I walk by a yoga studio

I was bought in.

He scored goals in so many different ways and immediately looked like an NHL player. I thought Spezza was going to feed him for 30 goals.

Good times. So easy to be wrong with young players.
He looked very impressive the 1st year in Ottawa, then it's like he forgot how to play the 2nd year onward.

Peter Regin also looked very impressive at first, especially in the 1st playoff series vs PIT. Everyone thought he was a top 6 forward in the making.

Initial impressions aren't always what a player is I guess.

Reactions: bicboi64

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Boucher should have stayed in college. I feel that move back to the CHL was short sighted.

If you look at him as a project, the skating, shot and fiestiness show why people still see a high floor here.

He's got parts of a pro skillset in his game that are hard to teach. He just needs more seasoning, he needs to add some of those easier to teach pro skills and he needs some good health.
From a pure hockey perspective, I think you are right. He would have spent three or four years practicing a lot and learning to play the right way. You always have to account for the fact, though, that being in NCAA also involves a pretty heavy dose of academics, and he may not have been a kid who was dying to spend four years slogging away at getting his degree. There is also the reality that in NCAA hockey, 18 and 19 year olds often do a lot of watching while the 21 and 22 year olds do the playing. The prospect of going to the OHL and instantly playing 20 minutes a night would have been enticing, and Sens management at the time would have been encouraging it...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Boucher should have stayed in college. I feel that move back to the CHL was short sighted.

If you look at him as a project, the skating, shot and fiestiness show why people still see a high floor here.

He's got parts of a pro skillset in his game that are hard to teach. He just needs more seasoning, he needs to add some of those easier to teach pro skills and he needs some good health.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Jarrod Maidens was the boom or bust pick that Ottawa fans were clamouring for back then under a notoriously risk averse Bryan Murray. High skilled guy that had big upside if he and his concussions ever emerged from the dark rooms he was recovering in.

I recall it being a legitimate pick.

Reactions: Xspyrit and h2

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
He looked very impressive the 1st year in Ottawa, then it's like he forgot how to play the 2nd year onward.

Peter Regin also looked very impressive at first, especially in the 1st playoff series vs PIT. Everyone thought he was a top 6 forward in the making.

Initial impressions aren't always what a player is I guess.
Regin was never the same after his shoulder injury.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Jarrod Maidens was the boom or bust pick that Ottawa fans were clamouring for back then under a notoriously risk averse Bryan Murray. High skilled guy that had big upside if he and his concussions ever emerged from the dark rooms he was recovering in.

I recall it being a legitimate pick.
He was regarded as a mid 1st rounder before the concussions, it was definitely a legit pick hoping he'd recover.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Tyler is back at it today BSens vs Marlies
Without NHL hockey and going a little stir crazy now as my Christmas break is dragging on, I really want to watch this. $7.99 for a single day subscription to AHLTV but anyone know a source to stream for free?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad