Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Boucher has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer in this league at some point, he will hit like Neil & will surprise people with his vision, hockey IQ & playmaking ability. I doubt he will fight much except after he puts someone through the boards & a teammate comes over to challenge him. His hitting alone will change momentum in games & he also has a rocket of a wrister & is really good at picking the corners. I hope he has a great yr.
If Boucher turns out to be the player you are describing, I will be happy to have him on the team. However, I have doubts.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Just the C word.
Complete bust?

Just kidding! I am on the wait and see group.

Not sure why the Tweet was posted...don't really see anyone here dunking on the kid. As usual it is has been pretty quiet.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Complete bust?

Just kidding! I am on the wait and see group.

Not sure why the Tweet was posted...don't really see anyone here dunking on the kid. As usual it is has been pretty quiet.
Well, I wasn’t really paying too much attention, but at least one poster in the last page or so called him a complete bust (again).

On a side note, I suspect that the kid is smart enough by now to stay well away from fan social media, it’s enough to crush a young spirit, as people can be absolute shit, especially anonymously online.

I also can imagine that he has friends and family that frequent their own social media, and perhaps follow the team, perhaps even lurk in here from time to time. It’s probably nice to see people post encouraging and supportive posts, pushback posts, and even just common sense wait and see posts, as opposed to only the criticisms that everyone is so concerned about their rights to share.

I know I like reading pushback posts, and I don’t know the kid, I just don’t like the shitty behaviour in general.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Where can we find a list of Top-10 picks that never played for their country at the WJC?
In their draft +1 or at all?

Logan Couture never made it either year, which at the time was heavily criticized. Seteguci also cut both D+1 and D+2. I think maybe 7/8 never made the WJ's at all.

In their D+1 for US and Canada since 05' there is (all European players made their WJ team in the following season):

05'- Setegucci
06'- Sheppard
07'- Couture, Hamill, Ellerby
08'- Bailey
09'- Glennie
10'- McIlrath
11'-
12'- Koekkoek, Dumba, Pouliot
13'-
14'- Dal Colle, Fleury
15'-
16'-
17'- Rasmussen, Glass, Tippett
18'-
19'-
20'-
21'- Boucher, Clarke

31 Americans chosen in the top 10, Boucher is the only guy to not make the WJ/NHL in his D+1

84 Canadians choses in the top 10, 17 never made the WJ/NHL in their D+1.

Brassard and Brule missed their D+1 because of injury, but were otherwise on the teams.

It's a different basis year to year and coach to coach, so there isn't much to take away from it other than it's "expected" that you will be on the WJ team if drafted in the top 10, but not guaranteed.

The draft slot is making a mess of this, Boucher is/was not a top 10 calibre player, at the very least at the moment. If you look at where he was generally ranked, his progression and outlook makes sense.

He'll have a bounce back year, put up 65-75 points, and become a physical pro player next season in the AHL where he will develop for another few seasons

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Logan Couture never made it either year, which at the time was heavily criticized. Seteguci also cut both D+1 and D+2. I think maybe 7/8 never made the WJ's at all.

In their D+1 for US and Canada since 05' there is (all European players made their WJ team in the following season):

05'- Setegucci
06'- Sheppard
07'- Couture, Hamill, Ellerby
08'- Bailey
09'- Glennie
10'- McIlrath
11'-
12'- Koekkoek, Dumba, Pouliot
13'-
14'- Dal Colle, Fleury
15'-
16'-
17'- Rasmussen, Glass, Tippett
18'-
19'-
20'-
21'- Boucher, Clarke

31 Americans chosen in the top 10, Boucher is the only guy to not make the WJ/NHL in his D+1

84 Canadians choses in the top 10, 17 never made the WJ/NHL in their D+1.

Brassard and Brule missed their D+1 because of injury, but were otherwise on the teams.

It's a different basis year to year and coach to coach, so there isn't much to take away from it other than it's "expected" that you will be on the WJ team if drafted in the top 10, but not guaranteed.

The draft slot is making a mess of this, Boucher is/was not a top 10 calibre player, at the very least at the moment. If you look at where he was generally ranked, his progression and outlook makes sense.

He'll have a bounce back year, put up 65-75 points, and become a physical pro player next season in the AHL where he will develop for another few seasons
I don’t know if he’ll get that many points. But it’s not about the points with him. He’ll make the team in a couple yrs and his points will come but shouldn’t be the focus of his game. He’s a solid two way player that can transition and keep things in the good half of the ice.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don’t know if he’ll get that many points. But it’s not about the points with him. He’ll make the team in a couple yrs and his points will come but shouldn’t be the focus of his game. He’s a solid two way player that can transition and keep things in the good half of the ice.
That’s not a very large amount of points for a 19/20 year old NHL pick in the CHL, that’s generally what you expect out of any drafted forward.

Would slot him ~35th-60th in the OHL, give or take, which should be the expectation for next season.

~1.00-1.10 should be the expectation points wise, expect ~55/60 games played so maybe 60-70 is a better barometer. Nobody should be expecting a scoring star in the league, but at the very least 60 points should be the expectation.

31/58 of the forwards drafted in 2021 who played in the CHL last season put up 1.00-2.00ppg as 18/19 year olds. Boucher in his D+2 should be expected to jump into that type of production as a 19/20 year old, I’d be shocked if he never.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I have seen this referenced here a few times but I can't find anything to back it up? If anything his defence is either ignored in reports or it is noted as an area that needs work.

I am all for him being a well rounded player, just don't see any evidence of outside of comments on here.

Maybe came in not to well in shape… or nagging injuries?
Haven't all the reports been he has been working out like a fiend? Haven't heard anything about injuries either.

Nothing wrong with not making that team anyway.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If I were to have one criticism of Boucher it would be stamina, he seems to get tired around the 40 second mark & usually takes himself off the ice at that point. Hopefully that is something that he has been working on this off season, it could also have had to do with Covid & injuries he was recovering from last yr. He's a big guy (205 lbs) who plays a rough physical game which can take a lot out of a player every shift.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

At all, at least in their 2nd year

Thanks for that, a lot of guys who went on and became huge stars!! lol anyway this is moot because Boucher should have never been anywhere close a Top-10 pick

I don't remember which team reached for who exactly but IIRC Rangers reached a lot for McIlrath too. I don't think getting a guy you could possibly get with your next pick often pays off

We are here to break the trends!

That’s not a very large amount of points for a 19/20 year old NHL pick in the CHL, that’s generally what you expect out of any drafted forward.

Would slot him ~35th-60th in the OHL, give or take, which should be the expectation for next season.

~1.00-1.10 should be the expectation points wise, expect ~55/60 games played so maybe 60-70 is a better barometer. Nobody should be expecting a scoring star in the league, but at the very least 60 points should be the expectation.

31/58 of the forwards drafted in 2021 who played in the CHL last season put up 1.00-2.00ppg as 18/19 year olds. Boucher in his D+2 should be expected to jump into that type of production as a 19/20 year old, I’d be shocked if he never.

That would be unseen for a top-10 pick. Don't know if you saw it but a few months ago I made a list of comparisons with other 2021 WHL draftees and basically everybody was outscoring him, even D-men taken in the later rounds lol

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I wonder if Boucher has spent any time working with Chris Neil. I found it interesting that he wore #25 at the WJC camp and that Kleven was there whose number at UND is #25. I have never seen Boucher use that number before.

He has been training in Ottawa with Ridly Greig and Jake Sanderson since the offseason started and was working directly with the Sens development staff. I wouldn't be surprised if Neil is still hanging around the Sens facilities and if Donovan and Winchester reached out to him to work with Boucher because they play a similar game. Maybe he chose #25 intentionally and maybe it is tied to working with Neil.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe there is something to this. It would certainly be good if Boucher worked with Neil, there is a lot he could learn from him.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why is everybody evaluating a guy who was drafted for modest at best scoring for his scoring -

The guy was drafted cause he hits like a truck, can skate with a top line, shoots lasers and has the potential to make a bigger difference with his shoulder than some scoring forward on PP3 who will never defend elite hockey.

Evaluate that. Good or bad.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Why is everybody evaluating a guy who was drafted for modest at best scoring for his scoring -

The guy was drafted cause he hits like a truck, can skate with a top line, shoots lasers and has the potential to make a bigger difference with his shoulder than some scoring forward on PP3.

Evaluate that. Good or bad.
You can’t go around comparing him to Tom Wilson then get puzzled when people are talking about his scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad