Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The post draft comments were all about how he can score from distance with his pro level shot so while his physical play was coveted there is no doubt that Boucher and the team were disappointed with his numbers.

Sounds like he may have had a decent scrimmage and hopefully he has a great season.

We heard that about lazar lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Norris was at 2 WJ's, and playing for Canada vs. the field isn't worth trying to compare
Yes Norris did play in 2 WJC tournaments. I remember pointing out at the time that playing the WJC at 18 is highly correlated with future NHL success. There was a whole Bowers and Norris are the same level prospect discussion that evolved out of that and someone went through the trouble of identifying a couple 18 year olds that didn't have a lot of NHL success....that was all done to keep the Dorion is an idiot narrative going. That Karlsson trade sure has worked out well.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is where I've been for awhile. It looks like they misread a small sample size, disappointing but nothing to get hung up about. Would love to eat crow and see him become a solid middle sixer though so I'll be cheering for him to have a good season with the 67s.

My main issue is the draft strategy in general - that they have been going off the board on many picks lately instead of trading down. Could have easily traded down and still ended up with a lot of these guys anyway. Going off the board for a certain player is fine but they gotta be hitting on that like Yzerman did with Seider. Otherwise it just feels like they are leaving too much value on the table by not trading down.
What I would have liked in 2021 is to trade up. Dylan Guenther was sitting there at #9 - we had the assets to make Arizona an offer they couldn't refuse to switch spots. We got burned making a similar swap to pick Logan Brown, though, so maybe that was weighing on their minds.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My main issue is the draft strategy in general - that they have been going off the board on many picks lately instead of trading down. Could have easily traded down and still ended up with a lot of these guys anyway. Going off the board for a certain player is fine but they gotta be hitting on that like Yzerman did with Seider. Otherwise it just feels like they are leaving too much value on the table by not trading down.

Not just a problem with drafting, but asset management in general doesn't seem important at all, like not even considered

Trading down in the draft, or not trading up but there's also Tierney, Duclair, Brown, Brown, Balcers, etc situations that could have been played differently so in the end we recover a bit more in terms of draft capital.

Then, there's also assets paid to get below average players, like a 4th for Josh Brown for example. It's like Dorion got sold a muscle car that doesn't work.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Trading down is always an easy thing to point at after, but it takes two to tango, and the risk of losing your guy isn’t usually worth the extra 3rd/4th round pick.

I think they reached on all 3 of their top picks in 2021, Ostapchuk is looking like extremely good scouting and projection, Boucher and Roger thus far are the opposite. But if those are the teams guys, the risk of losing them isn’t going to be worth it to almost any scouting staff in the league.

If they have a group of guys they’re fine with, moving down makes sense. If they have 1 guy that they want, teams generally aren’t going to move down.

They obviously reached on their top 2 picks this year as well to an extent, but I literally know absolutely nothing about either guy other than looking at a few rankings. If they were their guys, I’m fine with them not trading down. I probably don’t agree with them being wise choices, but understand just taking them.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Moving down is almost always the right move if think you'll still be able to get a player in the same tier as the player at the top of your list at the spot you move to.

I have no problem with them staying at a given pick and selecting a player if he's far and above the best player at that spot, but I don't know how you could come to the conclusion that Boucher was the easy BPA at 10 and that picking him there was preferable to moving down and ending up with Sillinger/Othmann/Bolduc/Lucius AT WORST if Boucher got snatched up earlier than expected.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I am looking forward to see how he performs in the rookie tournament in September and then in preseason. I won't be surprised if he ends up looking impressive in both. I believe he is a far better player than a lot of people on here are giving him credit for.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
What I would have liked in 2021 is to trade up. Dylan Guenther was sitting there at #9 - we had the assets to make Arizona an offer they couldn't refuse to switch spots. We got burned making a similar swap to pick Logan Brown, though, so maybe that was weighing on their minds.
Guenther could have been in Arizona's top 5 for all we know, no idea how much of a drop off they viewed the next pick.

Reactions: Larionov

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The post draft comments were all about how he can score from distance with his pro level shot so while his physical play was coveted there is no doubt that Boucher and the team were disappointed with his numbers.

Sounds like he may have had a decent scrimmage and hopefully he has a great season.
He played well with a similar group last summer in the showcase as well

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Trading down is always an easy thing to point at after, but it takes two to tango, and the risk of losing your guy isn’t usually worth the extra 3rd/4th round pick.

I think they reached on all 3 of their top picks in 2021, Ostapchuk is looking like extremely good scouting and projection, Boucher and Roger thus far are the opposite. But if those are the teams guys, the risk of losing them isn’t going to be worth it to almost any scouting staff in the league.

If they have a group of guys they’re fine with, moving down makes sense. If they have 1 guy that they want, teams generally aren’t going to move down.

They obviously reached on their top 2 picks this year as well to an extent, but I literally know absolutely nothing about either guy other than looking at a few rankings. If they were their guys, I’m fine with them not trading down. I probably don’t agree with them being wise choices, but understand just taking them.
My only real issue with taking Boucher at 10, was that they were forecasting a need, and Mann recently justified the pick under the explanation that those types of players are hard to get.

Cool, but are they more often acquired fully developed for like, a LATE first?

What’s done is done, hopefully he becomes a hard hitting, pain in the ass that contribute some timely goals.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
I am looking forward to see how he performs in the rookie tournament in September and then in preseason. I won't be surprised if he ends up looking impressive in both. I believe he is a far better player than a lot of people on here are giving him credit for.

If he looks impressive in rookie camp, then he's maybe on track to become a 3rd line winger in the NHL. Which is what I expect from him, and why I think he was a bad pick at 10.

To become the player you think he's gonna be, we need a lot more than "impressive in rookie camp" in his D+1.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Truth be told, if he becomes a great 3rd line winger that’s a really solid return for 10oa.

Picks in that range are mid first round at that point and don’t often produce top six, rarer still top line talent.

The kid still has potential to be more, but being a third liner on this team for the next 3 years at least is the best expectation any new player can expect given the forward talent we have.

We probably could have picked differently and folks would have been happier faster, and we could also definitely have picked worse.

Reactions: Bileur and Sweatred

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If he looks impressive in rookie camp, then he's maybe on track to become a 3rd line winger in the NHL. Which is what I expect from him, and why I think he was a bad pick at 10.

To become the player you think he's gonna be, we need a lot more than "impressive in rookie camp" in his D+1.
I said I won't be surprised if he looks impressive in rookie camp, but I also said I won't be surprised if he looks impressive in NHL preseason games.

I won't be surprised if he is a very late cut and goes to Belleville, goes through their training camp and starts the season there before the Sens consider assigning him to the 67's. Hell, I won't even be surprised if he makes the Ottawa Senators out of training camp and starts the season there. I won't be surprised if he is a full time NHLer right out of camp, plays the whole season with the Senators and performs just fine.

I don't expect some of those things to happen but I certainly won't be surprised if they do happen

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There seems to be so much angst about Boucher being a 10oa pick.

The reality of the NHL draft is that in a good year there might be 5 guys that are destined to be top line top pair can't miss players. After that, it's a crap shoot.

Guys like Kucherov come out of nowhere to be amongst the best in the game. Boston chooses 3 in a row and the next 3 guys are all elite players. Logan Brown flames out and a guy like Fox chosen 50+ picks later wins a Norris.

You never know what drives a player, what might occur that turns a player from a draft prospect into a major award winner

Some guys play in the league at 18 and become hall of famers like Bergeron drafted in the 2nd round. Some guys play in the league right away and really aren't more than done a dozen types.

I just don't see the point in getting all up in arms about any single draft pick because there was a guy left on the board that you KNEW would be better.

Maybe Boucher works out. Maybe he has the drive. He appears to have the tools. Maybe he doesn't work out. It's fun to debate but nothing to lose sleep over because you knew some other name on the board was going to be better

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Even if he doesn’t make it, the posts some of you guys are typing out are real scummy. Don’t care for any of your premature criticisms. Seem to get off on tearing others down. Says a lot about you. And a lot here don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Probably the same who hated zibanejad and tkachuk and Sanderson etc.

Reactions: R We A Team

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I said I won't be surprised if he looks impressive in rookie camp, but I also said I won't be surprised if he looks impressive in NHL preseason games.

I won't be surprised if he is a very late cut and goes to Belleville, goes through their training camp and starts the season there before the Sens consider assigning him to the 67's. Hell, I won't even be surprised if he makes the Ottawa Senators out of training camp and starts the season there. I won't be surprised if he is a full time NHLer right out of camp, plays the whole season with the Senators and performs just fine.

I don't expect some of those things to happen but I certainly won't be surprised if they do happen

I would be gobsmacked if he played in the AHL or NHL. He would have gone from not even being able to stand out against teenagers to being good enough to take regular shift against men in two of the best leagues in the world, over the course of one summer. Would be unprecedented you have to think.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’d take those odds …
Would only make sense to like those odds

It would be well worth throwing $20 bucks down on him starting in Pro next season, the payout would be $2000+

I’d take them as well

Kastelic
Chartier
Wedman
Luccini
Daoust
Jarventie
Crookshank
Greig
Reinhardt
Sabourin
Lodin
Sokolov
Hawrulyuk

Sens have 13 spots already there for guys who can only play pro, and will likely be adding another forward or two prior to the season starting. The chances of them adding a 19 year old, who can play junior for 2 more seasons and has yet to prove himself at the level, is extremely, extremely unlikely.

He’ll join Belleville once the 67’s are done, and the season after will be in Belleville full time with a likely cup of coffee

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

It would be well worth throwing $20 bucks down on him starting in Pro next season, the payout would be $2000+

I’d take them as well

Kastelic
Chartier
Wedman
Luccini
Daoust
Jarventie
Crookshank
Greig
Reinhardt
Sabourin
Lodin
Sokolov
Hawrulyuk

Sens have 13 spots already there for guys who can only play pro, and will likely be adding another forward or two prior to the season starting. The chances of them adding a 19 year old, who can play junior for 2 more seasons and has yet to prove himself at the level, is extremely, extremely unlikely.
There is a difference between an impossibility and an unlikely scenario. My point is that I wouldn't find those outcomes surprising not that I expect them to occur.

Based on Dorion's most recent comments, he said that Boucher is most likely to play in the CHL next year and that Boucher knows that he is most likely to being playing in the CHL next year. That comment was in regards to Boucher saying that his goal is to make the Senators out of camp.

We also know that Trent Mann, who is now promoted to assistant GM and has taken on a prominent role in player development, mentioned in one of his recent interviews that Boucher, based on his contract, has the option to play in Belleville this season and that they could consider that.

Subjectively, I believe Boucher is capable of playing NHL games right now. Physically he is there, he also has the right kind of structured and details to his game to be a capable 4th liner. He has good tools and I believe that his production will benefit from the more structure play of the pros. So even though it is an unlikely scenario, I could certainly see a scenario where he somehow made the team out of camp and that he somehow sticks with the team and produces adequately.

With that said, I don't expect such an outcome to occur nor would I suggest anyone else have that expectation. Firstly, the question is not whether he can or can't play NHL games, it is what is best for his development. For his offensive development, it seems like the CHL is by far the best option for him. Secondly, DJ Smith has stressed multiple times about the importance of keeping players confidence high. Even if Boucher demonstrates the ability to play a 4th line role in the NHL in training camp, there is a big risk that by rushing him that he potentially losses his confidence and it significantly impairs whatever potential he could have.

In addition to that, based on the points you made, there are multiple more mature prospects that have a much lower risk of having any potential upside impaired by playing a smaller role. Some of them are at an age where the organization would like to see them take a step and if they can't then that could determine where they are seen on the organizational depth chart and what kind of contract they might get in the future.

Finally, with the organization looking to be more competitive this season, that puts more pressure on players to perform and less room to make mistakes or go through growing pains. That would put a lot of pressure on a prospect like Boucher, and pressure that he doesn't need to be exposed to at this point. He would not only have to prove that he is capable of playing in the NHL at this point, and more capable than a lot of other competent prospects many of which are older and more mature, but that he could perform consistently at a high level , not be adversely affected mentally by the pressure, and perform in a way that no other highly completive prospect who is hungry for an opportunity could match or exceed.

I believe that my perspective is fairly nuanced and has given reasonable consideration to the intricacies of such a situation.

Reactions: Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There is a difference between an impossibility and an unlikely scenario. My point is that I wouldn't find those outcomes surprising not that I expect them to occur.

Based on Dorion's most recent comments, he said that Boucher is most likely to play in the CHL next year and that Boucher knows that he is most likely to being playing in the CHL next year. That comment was in regards to Boucher saying that his goal is to make the Senators out of camp.

We also know that Trent Mann, who is now promoted to assistant GM and has taken on a prominent role in player development, mentioned in one of his recent interviews that Boucher, based on his contract, has the option to play in Belleville this season and that they could consider that.

Subjectively, I believe Boucher is capable of playing NHL games right now. Physically he is there, he also has the right kind of structure and details to his game to be a capable 4th liner. He has good tools and I believe that his production will benefit from the more structure play of the pros. So even though it is an unlikely scenario, I could certainly see a scenario where he somehow made the team out of camp and that he somehow sticks with the team and produces adequately.

With that said, I don't expect such an outcome to occur nor would I suggest anyone else have that expectation. Firstly, the question is not whether he can or can't play NHL games, it is what is best for his development. For his offensive development, it seems like the CHL is by far the best option for him. Secondly, DJ Smith has stressed multiple times about the importance of keeping players confidence high. Even if Boucher demonstrates the ability to play a 4th line role in the NHL in training camp, there is a big risk that by rushing him that he potentially losses his confidence and it significantly impairs whatever potential he could have.

In addition to that, based on the points you made, there are multiple more mature prospects that have a much lower risk of having any potential upside impaired by playing a smaller role. Some of them are at an age where the organization would like to see them take a step and if they can't that could where they are seen on the organizational depth chart and what kind of contract they might get in the future.

Finally, with the organization looking to be more competitive this season, that puts more pressure on players to perform and less room to make mistakes or go through growing pains. That would put a lot of pressure on a prospect like Boucher, and pressure that he doesn't need to be exposed to at this point. He would not only have to prove that he is capable of playing in the NHL at this point, and more capable than a lot of other competent prospects many of which are older and more mature, but that he could perform consistently at a high level , not be adversely affected mentally by the pressure, and perform in a way that no other highly completive prospect who is hungry for an opportunity could match or exceed.

I believe that my perspective is fairly nuanced and has given reasonable consideration to the intricacies of such a situation.
Of course it’s a possibility, but it would be extremely, extremely surprising. His contract affords that ability, but doesn’t make it a prospective option.

AHL for some experience, sure, not remotely likely whatsoever but could possibly happen, but Boucher can’t play in the NHL now, Unquestionably. Let alone produce adequately in a 4th line role. That’s pretty nuts.

We’re hoping he learns to produce offensively at 19 in the CHL, which he should, but he’s not jumping on an NHL teams 4th line at 19 and producing adequately when he couldn’t do that in the OHL less than a year before.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I’d take them as well

Kastelic
Chartier
Wedman
Luccini
Daoust
Jarventie
Crookshank
Greig
Reinhardt
Sabourin
Lodin
Sokolov
Hawrulyuk

He’ll join Belleville once the 67’s are done, and the season after will be in Belleville full time with a likely cup of coffee

Sorry you said … “There’s 0 chance Boucher plays pro next season”

Nothing about starting or whatever. I bet Boucher plays professional hockey next year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sorry you said … “There’s 0 chance Boucher plays pro next season”

Nothing about starting or whatever. I bet Boucher plays professional hockey next year.
My fault for not specifying, thought I quoted Rafi above my post about starting in either Ottawa or Belleville.

Yes, he will play in Belleville if the 67’s are eliminated early like I said.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
My fault for not specifying, thought I quoted Rafi above my post about starting in either Ottawa or Belleville.

Yes, he will play in Belleville if the 67’s are eliminated early like I said.

Fair enough - for what it’s worth Dorion’s on the record f suggesting both the AHL and OHL are options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad