Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Possible - anyway, I like what Boucher offers to our 2-4 line. I think he’ll get there.

We’ll see it this fall - teams are going to run at Sandy, Brann and Stutzles entire line and we don’t have anyone to really respond other than Brady’s bruised knuckles.

I agree the team needs a big, tough-to-play-against, physical policeman on the 4th line. None of Kelly, Gambrell, Kastelic or Watson fit that requirement. Neither does any player in Belleville.

Crouse would be a VG addition.

Reactions: Sweatred

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Boucher could really use a full season at full health. The constant injuries and illnesses don’t allow him to get in a rythm.

Reactions: aragorn

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Boucher is a good interview, seems like a good kid, is a good drills player, and has a lot of traits going for him but the season he just put up in his D+1 season should garner a far lower rating on our prospect rankings then even 7-8. He should be out of the top 10 at this point quite frankly.

If he had a season like he just did but was a 3rd rounder people wouldn't talk about him much. The hype comes from where he was taken in the draft and a lot of people have high confidence in Mann (which is understandable to a certain degree).

Great hitter with speed and hustle, certainly hasn't done anything to be considered one of our best prospects. After you're drafted is when the real work starts. I'm hopeful he establishes a role for himself and works rounding out his game. If he pans out he would be a good fit in the bottom 6. I think a year in the OHL with no injuries would help his confidence and then a year in the AHL to figure out his style of play against older/bigger players and round out the defensive aspect of his game will be needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinto Bean

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Boucher has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer in this league at some point, he will hit like Neil & will surprise people with his vision, hockey IQ & playmaking ability. I doubt he will fight much except after he puts someone through the boards & a teammate comes over to challenge him. His hitting alone will change momentum in games & he also has a rocket of a wrister & is really good at picking the corners. I hope he has a great yr.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Boucher is a good interview, seems like a good kid, is a good drills player, and has a lot of traits going for him but the season he just put up in his D+1 season should garner a far lower rating on our prospect rankings then even 7-8. He should be out of the top 10 at this point quite frankly.

His ranking should be more about how he projects to the NHL rather than the season he had because ultimately players are drafted for the impact they can have in the NHL, not how good their seasons are before they make the NHL. I get the disappointment in regards to his production this year but there's a lot to like about his game and how it should translate. Almost every viewing I had of him this year, I came away impressed regardless of the stat line.

It's not just his motor or his physicality, there's skill in his game too. He's a capable playmaker off the rush and the cycle, he can buy time for his teammates with his ability to shield the puck in transition and he can find lanes through traffic on the cycle. His playmaking is probably the most underrated part of his game. He isn't a player who is going to dangle through the opposition but he can handle the puck in traffic and make quick plays with his hands. He's a solid skater who can get up to speed quickly. I would like to see him use his speed more though he plays a more cerebral game. While he does have a good understanding, I think he slows down the game a little too much. I would like to see him drive the net more given his skating and frame but he has shown the ability to pull up after zone entries and find his teammates. His goals are going to come from around the net, I don't think his shot is bad but always harder to evaluate on video especially with CHL and NCAA quality production.

I would have no hesitation having him above Ostapchuk, and feel pretty good about having him above Lassi and JBD. His ceiling is higher than all three imo and while he may be far from it at this point, his floor is on par with those listed above.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His ranking should be more about how he projects to the NHL rather than the season he had because ultimately players are drafted for the impact they can have in the NHL, not how good their seasons are before they make the NHL. I get the disappointment in regards to his production this year but there's a lot to like about his game and how it should translate. Almost every viewing I had of him this year, I came away impressed regardless of the stat line.

It's not just his motor or his physicality, there's skill in his game too. He's a capable playmaker off the rush and the cycle, he can buy time for his teammates with his ability to shield the puck in transition and he can find lanes through traffic on the cycle. His playmaking is probably the most underrated part of his game. He isn't a player who is going to dangle through the opposition but he can handle the puck in traffic and make quick plays with his hands. He's a solid skater who can get up to speed quickly. I would like to see him use his speed more though he plays a more cerebral game. While he does have a good understanding, I think he slows down the game a little too much. I would like to see him drive the net more given his skating and frame but he has shown the ability to pull up after zone entries and find his teammates. His goals are going to come from around the net, I don't think his shot is bad but always harder to evaluate on video especially with CHL and NCAA quality production.

I would have no hesitation having him above Ostapchuk, and feel pretty good about having him above Lassi and JBD. His ceiling is higher than all three imo and while he may be far from it at this point, his floor is on par with those listed above.
Definitely agree he’s over both D, his game is more important than bottom pairing dime a dozen D

Definitely think Ostapchuk is above him, but wouldn’t really care too much to argue one way or another

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
We'll see. I like a lot of his tools, his attitude, his size but I guess I've just seen more in actual game action from some of our other guys. I really liked Ostapchuk's D+1 season and especially his playoffs.

I like to think Kleven has a reasonably translatable game at the NHL level where he'll be a solid bottom pairing guy while having a niche in that he is huge, intimidating and should be a good crease presence. I guess Boucher would be comparable to Kleven in that regard. If he can be a bottom line guy with a great physical presence to him I'd take that.

Roby is also an interesting guy that probably gets slept on more than Boucher since he doesn't really get much coverage but he's the same age as Boucher, has been playing pro hockey for a year and produced admirably as a 19 year old. His game isn't as easily translatable to the NHL as Boucher but he has an interesting pedigree to him and seemed to get some decent reviews down in Belleville as the season went on.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I agree the team needs a big, tough-to-play-against, physical policeman on the 4th line. None of Kelly, Gambrell, Kastelic or Watson fit that requirement. Neither does any player in Belleville.

Crouse would be a VG addition.

It can be the third or fourth line. The Sens gambled Boucher can play a middle 6 role and provide that toughness better than someone like Watson (who does it well).

Boucher appears much more needed than a Silinger type who’s built for PP3 on this team.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think Boucher has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer in this league at some point, he will hit like Neil & will surprise people with his vision, hockey IQ & playmaking ability. I doubt he will fight much except after he puts someone through the boards & a teammate comes over to challenge him. His hitting alone will change momentum in games & he also has a rocket of a wrister & is really good at picking the corners. I hope he has a great yr.
Oddly enough, Neil was actually pretty skilled. A lot of folks underestimated him.

Reactions: aragorn

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It can be the third or fourth line. The Sens gambled Boucher can play a middle 6 role and provide that toughness better than someone like Watson (who does it well).

Boucher appears much more needed than a Silinger type who’s built for PP3 on this team.
Sillinger looks pretty much like a sure bet to at least be a 60+ point centre right now.

And it's not necessarily about what the need is. Having Sillinger as a trade piece right now could probably get us a top 4 D right now pretty easily. Now after Pinto, Greig, and Sanderson (who we won't move) we don't have much in terms of prospects to move. Having a surplus of a entertain type of player is not a bad thing in the long-run.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sillinger looks pretty much like a sure bet to at least be a 60+ point centre right now.

And it's not necessarily about what the need is. Having Sillinger as a trade piece right now could probably get us a top 4 D right now pretty easily. Now after Pinto, Greig, and Sanderson (who we won't move) we don't have much in terms of prospects to move. Having a surplus of a entertain type of player is not a bad thing in the long-run.

Trading Silinger for a top 4D does nothing to beef up the checking line.

Formy and Joseph are not a great combo for 3L wingers - Tampa gladly took Paul over Joseph.

Greig Pinto Boucher

Is a cup worthy possession checking line.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Trading Silinger for a top 4D does nothing to beef up the checking line.

Formy and Joseph are not a great combo for 3L wingers - Tampa gladly took Paul over Joseph.

Greig Pinto Boucher

Is a cup worthy checking line.
Not sure I agree with using a top 10 pick on someone who has a 50% chance to be on a checking line.

And I'd much rather have a piece that can bring in a top 4 D-man than someone who has a decent chance of becoming a bottom six forward. That's not even debatable.

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
look at our current forwards. He fits perfectly if he realizes his potential. Let’s see how this goes.

Chird Ferguson

Oct 14, 2012
Ottawa-ish
Ive been thinking, and I would much rather cheer for a pick that was a reach, as oppose to a more Highly touted pick you would trade up for.

I am cheering more for Boucher to make it then I ever did for Logan Brown, who went 11th

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

Except we'd all be listing him as untouchable in trades like we are Pinto/Greig right now :laugh:

One way or the other, he's got a big year coming up. He either shows up and puts 1-1.5PPG in juniors or becomes a bust.
Can't call him a bust until he's 22-23 and can't hack it in AHL. Norris and Batherson weren't expected to make the team before 21 years old. Boucher has a lot of developing to catch up on with many lost games and seasons. He's still highly touted enough to be at the WJC summer camp.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
You know what dude we haven't interacted much on here but I want to say that I appreciate you very much for stuff like this. Love it. Shades of Vermette-Fisher-Neil.
Except Neil could and would fight anyone.
If Boucher is going to be a hitter in the NHL you have to be willing and able to fight anyone. Usually after a good hit nowadays, you have to be ready to fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad