Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Did you mean to say Cole Sillinger? Because Chase Stillman was drafted 29th overall by New Jersey in the 2021 draft.

With that said, your basic argument seems kind of moot. Fans primarily focus on the potential of the prospects that their team actually drafted. They invest more time watching and analyzing their play and attempting to make projections about what they might eventually be developed into.

The vast majority of fans typically have quite limited exposure to prospects from other organizations, rarely watch an equivalent amount of their play or spend as much time analyzing their performances. As a result they rely quite heavily on evaluations of those prospects from pundits or from more limited exposure such as international tournaments..

It is much more common to see fans talk about the perceived "great potential" of prospects from their own team and give little consideration for prospects from any other organization.
Its that damn autocorrect system again! :)

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
I made those Shifts & Clips videos by the way. I had actually planned on creating another one compiling the clips I found most interesting from his games with the 67's. I recorded all the 67's games on Rogers Ignite and was fully intending on putting the new footage together but Rogers has some kind of software that blocks screen recording. When I set Camtasia, the video editing software, to record my screen when I replay the 67s games, I get the audio but only a black screen.

It is pretty frustrating because I am a fan of Boucher and wanted to showcase the strong play that I saw but that software block jut doesn't allow me the ability to start recording and editing the footage.
F*** Rogers, you're the GOAT brother

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I will bet whatever amount you’d like to under 500

Like, Dollars? I was thinking avatars or something.
UzQMNUSQjE4bsPVO3Idx6qODoUZeIERhjLv0x-CsQJUn86GDQY4pujHl5T1Y9xpE6TZULJek59hc3kmXc5-y88mxu0swoFbQmiTEX27H6dph2Ldf_PxJOMOKiq5udBSMClx-8O2pY2x2i4YMt20hwHk0XN4-KX0

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
So floor of nhl player, cieling cieling of top 6. Extremely optimistic.

He isn't currently tracking to be an NHL player, But still very early.

I agree he isn't looking good but he can skate, likes to hit and has good enough hands to be a 4th liner.
Plenty of NHL coaches love guys like that for their 4th line.

I'm not optimistic that he'll ever be more than that but I think he plays in the league.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Why in the world would a fan actively want to bet against one of their teams prospects?

Strange behaviour, rooting against your own players.

No one is rooting against him. That's your imaginary strawman.

What is real, is a player with enticing tools that hasn't put it together and shouldn't have been drafted so high. You know you can say negative things about prospects/players without "rooting against them".

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No one is rooting against him. That's your imaginary strawman.

What is real, is a player with enticing tools that hasn't put it together and shouldn't have been drafted so high. You know you can say negative things about prospects/players without "rooting against them".
When you make a bet against a player, It seems to follow that you’d want to win that bet.

But sure, it’s just a strawman I created.

Blah blah blah negative things, give it a rest, you obviously didn’t follow the specific conversation.

My post was already responded to by the person I was responding to, and I understood and accepted their reasoning.

Reactions: Snowwy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Well, yeah. Neil played 1000+ games and is one of the best enforcers that can play a regular shift in NHL history.

Boucher is nothing like Neil as a player either, will never be fighting his way to the NHL, or even be a fighter in the NHL.
He will provide big hits like Neil. I hope he can develop the same pulse on the game that Neil had. For the kind of role that Neil played he really seemed to understand momentum well. He knew when the team needed a spark and exactly how to get the team going.

This team will have a lot of spark plugs but it would be great if Boucher learned how to assess and swing momentum with his physicality.

I think he will fight a decent amount at the NHL level but it seems more likely that it will be the result of people going after him for his hits than him taking on an enforcer kind of role.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He’s a guaranteed NHL player.

I agree those aspects are nearly impossible to correct. At the same time, putting all those things together to a “scoring” level is something that’s just as unlikely, as that’s what most would expect or want out of a 10th, which of course is no fault of his own.

He’s going to be a valuable member of the bottom 6 in a few years, if he can put things together to become a complimentary guy in our top 6 we will be extremely pleased with that outcome, that would be outhitting his batting average.

I think, with complete knowledge he can surpass the expectations, I’d be very happy if he can turn into a Cal Clutterbuck. I’m not expecting it, but it’s the outcome I’m hoping for.

He’ll have a solid jump in production this year at 19/20, would have been nice to see him alongside Kasper with the 67’s but doesn’t seem the Wings will be placing him there.
I agree putting those individual skills together is a hard thing to do.

With this particular player, had he played say 125 games the past two years I'd be more concerned. But he's played what amounts to about half a CHL playoff team season. Half a years worth of hockey in two years.

He needs to play games to put it together and the only way we're going to see him put it together is playing those games. He may not ever put it together but on the other hand he hasn't had much opportunity to do so either.

First it's where we stand on him now we shouldn't sleep on him... Poor guy.
I think that one went over a lot of heads

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I feel badly for the kid in a way. He was drafted far too high, and as a result there are unrealistic expectations on his shoulders from fans like me. (Keep in mind that even Boucher and his family were shocked to be called at #10 - they were expecting late first or second round.)

I went to a couple of 67's games in February and March last year to see him. (Saw Shane Wright one of those same nights.) He looked very good the night they played Kingston, and kind of meh the other night. Ridiculously small sample size compared to what scouts accumulate, I know. Here's what sticks out for me, though - 67's were in overtime one night, three on three, and Boucher didn't get one shift in OT. Kid is a 10th overall pick, and a well regarded, experienced junior coach in Dave Cameron doesn't put him on the ice. That to me was a massive red flag.

Now, can the kid overcome all of that this year? Sure, it's possible - we've been through a weird couple of years to say the least, and it's entirely possible that the raw skill Mann saw when he drafted him in that slot will start shining through. This is a huge year for him, though - as a 19 year old, (turning 20 in January, I believe) he needs to absolutely dominate at the OHL level for him to be considered a legit NHL prospect moving forward. We'll see - I'd love nothing more than have to dine on my words in a couple of years if he turns into an NHL regular...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Who cares. You take the best player available. He would have played 3C last year, and most likely W this year. And if we thought there is no room, then he'd be great piece for a top 4D trade. You're really hung up on the PP hierarchy.

Ehh… the coach trying to win hockey games ??? Zero chance he plays 3C for us. We got the skills set the org needed and passed on the one we don’t need.

Reactions: aragorn

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion was on Overdrive talking about Boucher as the most likely to surprise in the years to come (out of all of the prospects). I hope he is right, but Boucher's numbers don't reflect it.
I also remember our GM talking up Balcers and Lajoie a few years ago as key prospects for us moving forward. His job is to be positive and pump the tires of our prospects, but there's no way management can look at the season Boucher had last year and call it a success. He flamed out at BU, then came to the 67's and put up some very pedestrian numbers for a guy who was getting lots of prime ice time 5 on 5 and on the power play. (Cameron wouldn't use him in three on three.)

Reactions: Norris4Norris

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Ehh… the coach trying to win hockey games ??? Zero chance he plays 3C for us. We got the skills set the org needed and passed on the one we don’t need.

Don't know what your argument is. Are you saying we can't win with Sillinger in the lineup?

You shouldn't draft on the skill needed. You draft BPA. That's common knowledge. Those "skill" that are needed are now 2 or 3 years away, and who knows what "skills" will be needed then. If you need something now, you can trade the BPA.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don't know what your argument is. Are you saying we can't win with Sillinger in the lineup?

You shouldn't draft on the skill needed. You draft BPA. That's common knowledge. Those "skill" that are needed are now 2 or 3 years away, and who knows what "skills" will be needed then. If you need something now, you can trade the BPA.
man you are patient

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022
He will provide big hits like Neil. I hope he can develop the same pulse on the game that Neil had. For the kind of role that Neil played he really seemed to understand momentum well. He knew when the team needed a spark and exactly how to get the team going.

This team will have a lot of spark plugs but it would be great if Boucher learned how to assess and swing momentum with his physicality.

I think he will fight a decent amount at the NHL level but it seems more likely that it will be the result of people going after him for his hits than him taking on an enforcer kind of role.
I tend to agree, and I find the comparison to Neil encouraging.

I would contend that Chris Neil was one of the better players in his draft year. In retrospect, I think that someone could argue that Neil deserved to be drafted in the first round, although perhaps not in the top 10.

Players tend to have value when they bring something to the table that is hard to replace, even if those contributions are made in a limited role.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

BPA is defined differently by different people -

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad