Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Prospects are funny. You draft a guy, he's gotta work on this, or he's gotta work on that.

From what I understand, Boucher can shoot, skate, hit and compete.

He's got to put that together

But that's a far more advantageous situation than someone like Sokolov who may never be able to skate at an NHL level. Or Brown that doesn't want to compete. Or someone that's soft as church music and won't play in traffic. These are things that are hard to correct.

Boucher doesn't seem to need these things corrected. He just needs to play hockey games and see if they come together

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Prospects are funny. You draft a guy, he's gotta work on this, or he's gotta work on that.

From what I understand, Boucher can shoot, skate, hit and compete.

He's got to put that together

But that's a far more advantageous situation than someone like Sokolov who may never be able to skate at an NHL level. Or Brown that doesn't want to compete. Or someone that's soft as church music and won't play in traffic. These are things that are hard to correct.

Boucher doesn't seem to need these things corrected. He just needs to play hockey games and see if they come together
He’s a guaranteed NHL player.

I agree those aspects are nearly impossible to correct. At the same time, putting all those things together to a “scoring” level is something that’s just as unlikely, as that’s what most would expect or want out of a 10th, which of course is no fault of his own.

He’s going to be a valuable member of the bottom 6 in a few years, if he can put things together to become a complimentary guy in our top 6 we will be extremely pleased with that outcome, that would be outhitting his batting average.

I think, with complete knowledge he can surpass the expectations, I’d be very happy if he can turn into a Cal Clutterbuck. I’m not expecting it, but it’s the outcome I’m hoping for.

He’ll have a solid jump in production this year at 19/20, would have been nice to see him alongside Kasper with the 67’s but doesn’t seem the Wings will be placing him there.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Its funny cause this is how I feel about Greig. We all have our prospects we are high on and those we are low on.
That's fair, and I agree, but but one of those guys put up 63 points in 39 games WHL games and the other put up 14 in 24 in the OH0L and only 3 in 17 for Boston University.

They're 5 months apart in age despite the draft classes.

Reactions: Emrasie

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I actually don’t even know if he has “a very good year” with the 67s but I’m not worried. He’s got strong potential to be an important middle 6 player for us when he gets here. Offense or not.
What I’m more sure of is every one completely writing him off if he doesn’t put up numbers.
If Ottawa had drafted Stillman instead of Boucher and NYR had drafted Boucher, I doubt that any poster on our forum would be saying anything at all about Boucher and his great potential.

Reactions: DanyHeatley

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
That's fair, and I agree, but but one of those guys put up 63 points in 39 games WHL games and the other put up 14 in 24 in the OH0L and only 3 in 17 for Boston University.

They're 5 months apart in age despite the draft classes.

Not to mention Greig put up 32 points in 21 CHL games in his D+1 year compared to Boucher's 14 in 24.

I mean, Greig was more productive in his brief time in the AHL in his D+1 year than Boucher was in NCAA.

As it stands right now Greig is the better looking prospect.

I'm resigned to the fact that Boucher is likely going to be a bottom 6 forward for us, which he almost certainly can do. If he becomes something more then that's gravy. It's probably going to be a shame that he was picked 10th OA but hopefully we can carve a useful player out of him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Ottawa had drafted Stillman instead of Boucher and NYR had drafted Boucher, I doubt that any poster on our forum would be saying anything at all about Boucher and his great potential.
There are lots of very good players taken every yr by other teams which go without much talk on our forum because they are not our players. Boucher is one of our prospects therefore we want to talk about him & predict his potential.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Did you mean to say Cole Sillinger? Because Chase Stillman was drafted 29th overall by New Jersey in the 2021 draft.

With that said, your basic argument seems kind of moot. Fans primarily focus on the potential of the prospects that their team actually drafted. They invest more time watching and analyzing their play and attempting to make projections about what they might eventually be developed into.

The vast majority of fans typically have quite limited exposure to prospects from other organizations, rarely watch an equivalent amount of their play or spend as much time analyzing their performances. As a result they rely quite heavily on evaluations of those prospects from pundits or from more limited exposure such as international tournaments..

It is much more common to see fans talk about the perceived "great potential" of prospects from their own team and give little consideration for prospects from any other organization.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
LOL we’ll be lucky if becomes half as useful as Neil or even last half as long as Neil’s effectiveness in his role.
Well, yeah. Neil played 1000+ games and is one of the best enforcers that can play a regular shift in NHL history.

Boucher is nothing like Neil as a player either, will never be fighting his way to the NHL, or even be a fighter in the NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chris Neil, a 6th rounder, was at least able to put up a PPG in the OHL in his draft year and OVER a PPG in his post draft year.

Boucher = bust.
Would wager a decent amount Boucher at minimum matches Neil’s D+1 season at the same age this year.

He’s not a bust, he’s going to be an NHler, he’s just not what you want with a 10th as of now.

Reactions: Snowwy

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Would wager a decent amount Boucher at minimum matches Neil’s D+1 season at the same age this year.

He’s not a bust, he’s going to be an NHler, he’s just not what you want with a 10th as of now.
What do you want to bet that he doesn't break a PPG next season?

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I'm resigned to the fact that Boucher is likely going to be a bottom 6 forward for us, which he almost certainly can do. If he becomes something more then that's gravy. It's probably going to be a shame that he was picked 10th OA but hopefully we can carve a useful player out of hihim.

So floor of nhl player, cieling cieling of top 6. Extremely optimistic.

He isn't currently tracking to be an NHL player, But still very early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad