Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Still the only team to take on an LTIR contract and not get any compensation for it [Ryan Callahan].

It's really amazing the way Pierre 'The Axeman' Dorion was able to slash expenses during the rebuild and still keep the club floor compliant.
So many bad moves were made to slash payroll and try to fool the fan base.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
We upgraded a 6th to a 5th while dumping Condons 3 mil salary to take on an insurance covered contact.
They moved from pick 156 to pick 154. That is not worth anything.

No other team would have done something like. Even Arizona was willing to eat these deals without undercutting their bargaining power by trying to minimize their own payroll concerns.

Tampa got what they wanted and Eugene Melnyk got what he wanted, but there was no benefit to the Ottawa Senators in this trade.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Don't sleep on Tyler Boucher??

I feel like we are now in a full-on coma when it comes to this guy.
He has played a grand total of 67 games in his last 5 years of his hockey.

I know that includes Covid and that he has had a bunch of injuries but I would doubt you could find another NHL prospect his age that has played that little.

I am trying to remain optimistic about his future with the team but he is starting to make Logan Brown look a better 1st draft pick and that is not at all good.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They moved from pick 156 to pick 154. That is not worth anything.

No other team would have done something like. Even Arizona was willing to eat these deals without undercutting their bargaining power by trying to minimize their own payroll concerns.

Tampa got what they wanted and Eugene Melnyk got what he wanted, but there was no benefit to the Ottawa Senators in this trade.
Maybe you and I have a different idea of what compensation means, we moved 3 mil in actual dollars out, and took on a deal that was 80% covered by insurance, how is that so different than VGK trading Dadonov for Weber's LTIR? Are you suggesting cap space is compensation but actual dollars are not? 2 mil on the ledger seems like compensation to me.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Boucher’s absence makes it a no-brainer that he is a bust and water under the bridge. Time to move on from this guy IMO.

Reactions: gab6511

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not only was it a questionable/awful pick without hindsight
With hindsight. Sure. Looks pretty awful.

Without hindsight? Go in any thread where a guy was just selected. There'll be guys pumping the pick and guys dumping the pick. That's cool. It's a message board for guys to chat hockey. But no one here knows, without hindsight, what's good or bad on draft day. Heck, scouts get the 1OA wrong probably half the time. We're talking 10 oa in a year where there really wasn't scouting.

It sure as hell hasn't worked out. But at 10, it's almost like playing roulette in a normal year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Without hindsight? Go in any thread where a guy was just selected. There'll be guys pumping the pick and guys dumping the pick. That's cool. It's a message board for guys to chat hockey. But no one here knows, without hindsight, what's good or bad on draft day. Heck, scouts get the 1OA wrong probably half the time. We're talking 10 oa in a year where there really wasn't scouting.

It sure as hell hasn't worked out. But at 10, it's almost like playing roulette in a normal year.
It was a bad pick at the time and an even worse one now. No one had him remotely close to 10th. Other teams were scouting this, team was not look at the next pick it's just as bad.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I like, and dislike, picks all the time. Boucher had lots of people loving the pick, and lots not loving the pick. That’s part of the fandom of the game, we could pick anyone and there are going to be people who love, and people who hate it. It’s one of the anspects you see anmong any fandom regardless of what’s done.

There are picks where more caution and more questions are raised. Boucher undoubtedly falls into that category for a number of reasons. Like Thomas Hickey not being a smart pick never needed hindsight.

1. Team finished poorly again and had a top 10 pick (likely would be lower had the season continued, they were a worse team than they finished). People hoped/expected to get a good NHL prospect and player out of that.

2. Took a guy ranked much, much, much lower than where he was ranked, at a point in the draft where going off the board is a much bigger deal than late in the draft. 20 spots high in the 1st isn’t equal to 20 spots at other points in the draft.

Boucher is obviously one of those guys. Ranked in the mid/late 2nd on average, and 29th by the panel of 10 scouts, and then taken at 10th is obviously going to cause more caution than taking a guy who was ranked around 10.

We shouldn’t be surprised he’s not playing like a top 10 pick, or 1st round pick, he wasn’t considered one for the lost part at any point outside of a couple teams hoping to strike gold with a guy that could develop.

If we chose the guys ranked around where our pick was and they were having seasons and injuries like Boucher has, I’d think hindsight could be needed. Sillinger, Lucius, Cornato were the 3 players ranked highest left, and all are in the NHL or doing extremely well in the AHL.

I understand why they made the Boucher pick, I don’t agree with the line of thinking or the evaluation of Boucher, but I understand what the team thought they had compared to the guys left in the draft.

But we definitely don’t need hindsight to say that choosing a project, who really hadn’t shown much at any point, who was also injured for the majority of the season, who was also generally seen as a 2nd round project, with the 10th pick wasn’t wise.

Which is perfectly fine, not the first team to swing and miss, and won’t be the last. Part of the process. Boucher can still work his way to the league.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Most of you guys haven’t even gone to see the guy play AND don’t know what is going on with him right now.

Some pathetic posters here. Whether he makes it or not to be saying things some of you guys have been saying since he was drafted or more recently just shows you don’t know sh*t. And if you don’t get why I’m saying that then you know even less.

So let’s just lay off and return a year from now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Most of you guys haven’t even gone to see the guy play AND don’t know what is going on with him right now.

Some pathetic posters here. Whether he makes it or not to be saying things some of you guys have been saying since he was drafted or more recently just shows you don’t know sh*t. And if you don’t get why I’m saying that then you know even less.

He's a 21 year old (or will be in less than a month) 1st Rd pick who still hasn't played a single professional game, idk what we'll learn in a year from now that will change anyones opinion, especially if he doesn't get healthy pronto.

Kid had a solid tool set, but man... 66 games since drafted 2 and a half years ago and has yet to really show he's likely to transition to the nhl? That's rough.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well we live in an era where stats are available. And we know he’s simply
Not playing and hasn’t played very much for two years now.

Hope he turns out. But at this point it would be unprecedented. But he’s a tough kid so I suppose if anyone can he can. But again. Unprecedented

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is Tyler Boucher alive?
So what is the modern equivalent of a hostage holding up a newspaper with today's date? 😆 We need proof of life here. Such a strange story - sent to Belleville two and a half months ago with a mystery ailment, still hasn't played, and was recently spotted at a 67's game with Sens brass. All the while, the club hasn't talked about him at all - he's like a ghost.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So what is the modern equivalent of a hostage holding up a newspaper with today's date? 😆 We need proof of life here. Such a strange story - sent to Belleville two and a half months ago with a mystery ailment, still hasn't played, and was recently spotted at a 67's game with Sens brass. All the while, the club hasn't talked about him at all - he's like a ghost.
Like something private is going is what it feels like to me.

When the media isn’t asking questions you just know, that they know, something we’re not supposed to know.

Reactions: Dionysus

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

When the media isn’t asking questions you just know, that they know, something we’re not supposed to know.
Yes. Boucher must be having a tough time right now because his injuries have dealt a heavy blow to his hopes of becoming an NHL player.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Likely something mental. He's been outspoken about his struggles before... At this point, maybe the Sens are trying to make room for him off the ice. Playing hockey is probably not his future, at this point.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014

You may be right. Maybe Tyler has an illness (physical/mental). What is strange are the vague explanations offered during training camp and that he was going to get some games in.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
You may be right. Maybe Tyler has an illness (physical/mental). What is strange are the vague explanations offered during training camp and that he was going to get some games in.
I mean, mid training camp, he told me he was going to be back on the ice in 3 days. That was when the groin injury is all that was going on. It really could be something he's re-aggravated a couple of times since then and they took an extended recovery break.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He allegedly tweaked his groin in testing for the rookie camp, I hope this isn't a case of med screenings having found something more serious and them using the injury as a means to protect his privacy.

Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad