Player Discussion Ty Emberson

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That simply won't happen with Nurse as their partner.

Don't think a long term solution has been on this roster at any point in Nurse's career. There were periods of good fortune, like the last week of finals last year. Periods where Nurse's play was masked by McDavid dominance as Nurse got the lions share of McDavid time, but you could still break down his ice time and see how much he was struggling without McDavid pushing play for him. Maybe little spurts with Ceci and Barrie, but nothing that lasted so long you were confident you would stick with it.

Chia passed on the task to Holland. Holland passed it on to Bowman, and gave a Nurse 9.25M unmovable, buyout proof deal to ensure we had no choice but to somehow find the perfect complimentary player for Nurse for our 2nd D pair isn't a weak link. And now we pray that Bowman somehow knows what that player needs to be, and can get it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Don't think a long term solution has been on this roster at any point in Nurse's career. There were periods of good fortune, like the last week of finals last year. Periods where Nurse's play was masked by McDavid dominance as Nurse got the lions share of McDavid time, but you could still break down his ice time and see how much he was struggling without McDavid pushing play for him. Maybe little spurts with Ceci and Barrie, but nothing that lasted so long you were confident you would stick with it.

Chia passed on the task to Holland. Holland passed it on to Bowman, and gave a Nurse 9.25M unmovable, buyout proof deal to ensure we had no choice but to somehow find the perfect complimentary player for Nurse for our 2nd D pair isn't a weak link. And now we pray that Bowman somehow knows what that player needs to be, and can get it.

And this is the difficult thing. It's very possible that we acquire just the right d man on paper, only for the pair to flop due to Nurse's ineptitude. He is not an easy player to play with.

I guess in that case you could just play Kulak with the new acquisition (assuming that player is a driver) and probably be fine. But then you have Nurse making a mess with someone else on the bottom pair probably.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I agree, honestly. I’m still pissed we went back to Nurse-Ceci in the finals when Nurse-Kulak worked against Dallas.

Not sure I'd say that about the Dallas series

Nurse Kulak, 47 minutes, 1 GF, 3GA
Nurse Dehairnais, 35 minutes, 0 GF, 3GA
Nurse Ceci, 33 minutes, 2 GF, 1GA

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have gone back to Ceci-Nurse either, but Kulak did notably worse when paired with Nurse. Well, as did Dehairnais and Ceci so you cannot put that all on Kulak.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not sure I'd say that about the Dallas series

Nurse Kulak, 47 minutes, 1 GF, 3GA
Nurse Dehairnais, 35 minutes, 0 GF, 3GA
Nurse Ceci, 33 minutes, 2 GF, 1GA

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have gone back to Ceci-Nurse either, but Kulak did notably worse when paired with Nurse. Well, as did Dehairnais and Ceci so you cannot put that all on Kulak.

I wouldn't just isolate that one series.

Nurse + Ceci xGA/60 was 3.81 in the playoffs
Nurse + Kulak xGA/60 was 1.46
Nurse + Broberg was 4.4 xGA/60

They did get scored on, all in games we won. The complete chaos though that surrounded Nurse in the first 2 rounds when he was working on a minus record, and in the finals was gone for most of that Dallas series. Nurse is lucky that the chaos was countered by Skinner spinning on his head in the finals which let us make that series more entertaining than a sweep. The only guy in the playoffs that we saw Nurse play some non-endless disaster hockey with was Kulak.

There was a very good reason Knob resorted to pushing Kulak out of his comfort zone for the week or so. We all saw the impending disaster that the Nurse pair was looking like. He likely experiences way more than 3 GA the rest of that series if we kept him with Ceci or Vinny. Dallas was not a team that was going to pass up targeting such an obvious liability.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That's what happens in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we don't have a 2RD. So it's either him or Stecher. I'm not sure who the better option is.
I’d run Stecher with Nurse and Embo with Kulak. Stecher has NHL experience to help ride out the inevitable Nurse brain farts. Let Emberson play with Kulak and get confident with the team and systems.

Reactions: Faelko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad