Two USHL joining the OHL

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
It would be a good size but it's not set up for ice. They'd have to put a bunch of money into it to convert it to a hockey rink.

The spot I'd like to see is Traverse City but they'd have to build a new facility and while that area is exploding with people and money, I don't think that would happen especially considering that the Red Wings camp/tourney isn't drawing the other teams anymore.

If there's an expansion in Michigan, I think Muskegon is the only spot unless someone is going to try to do USA Hockey arena again. There just aren't any other arenas big enough besides UofM and MSU and they're not going to partner up with an OHL team.
It's exploding May - Oct, thats for sure. Theres so many snowbirds up that way, too many "summer homes".

I don't think TC has the population in the winter months to support a team. It's part of my territory. Sales in that area Nov-April drop by about 44%. Accounts close, restaurant's close and the ones that stay open struggle. So much seasonal business up that way.

Summer time when business is absolutely booming, the baseball team they have up there averages about 2,500 people a game.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I think you'll always have the Greyhounds at least. There is no solution for them other than playing Michigan teams and there are some great rivalries in place. Adding Muskegon to the existing West Division is about the only thing that would make sense. It's ideal travel for every team.

Youngstown only makes sense in the existing Mid-West division. Maybe you can bump Guelph and Owen Sound over to the Central Division in that scenario.

You would think 2 other teams need to be added, which maybe opens the door for Belleville in the East Division. I'm not sure who the other team could be, maybe Cornwall?

West
Soo
Sarnia
Flint
Saginaw
Windsor
Muskegon

Midwest
Erie
Kitchener
Youngstown
London
Brantford
Niagara

East
Ottawa
Kingston
Peterborough
Belleville
Oshawa
Team X

Central
Sudbury
North Bay
Barrie
Owen Sound
Guelph
Brampton

While the East is still a work in progress, depending on the other new teams, travel for everyone in the other 3 divisions would be improved, save for the West, which remains about the same. Most notably, Niagara and Brantford make a lot more sense.
I don't see the league ever splitting up Guelph and Kitchener - too big of a rivalry as these teams have played in the same division even back in the Guelph Platers days and have had some memorable playoff rounds. Imagine the Storm and Rangers playing twice a year, down from the eight-ten games plus another possible seven playoff games they've played each other for the past 40+ years? That's not happening because Muskegon and Youngstown, two unproven OHL markets, want to join the league.

Same goes for Owen Sound, moving to the East would be a big blow to the team. They've spent the past 35+ years in the Owen Sound market making rivals with teams like the Knights/Rangers/Storm, who all travel well and help fill the Bayshore, only for them to be placed in another conference. Losing those home games and replacing them with Brampton, North Bay and Sudbury would be quite a big loss of revenue.

At this point in time, Guelph/Owen Sound remain in the Midwest and Brantford/Niagara remain in the Central. If Muskegon and Youngstown join the league, followed by Cornwall and possibly Belleville (I think Andlauer eventually moves the Belleville Senators to the Ottawa-Gatineau region):

East - KGN, OTT, OSH, PBO, COR, BEL
Central - BFD, BRAM, SBY, NB, BAR, NIA

Midwest - GUE, KIT, LDN, OS, ERI, YOU
West - MUS, SAG, FLI, WSR, SAR, SSM

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don't see the league ever splitting up Guelph and Kitchener - too big of a rivalry as these teams have played in the same division even back in the Guelph Platers days and have had some memorable playoff rounds. Imagine the Storm and Rangers playing twice a year, down from the eight-ten games plus another possible seven playoff games they've played each other for the past 40+ years? That's not happening because Muskegon and Youngstown, two unproven OHL markets, want to join the league.

Same goes for Owen Sound, moving to the East would be a big blow to the team. They've spent the past 35+ years in the Owen Sound market making rivals with teams like the Knights/Rangers/Storm, who all travel well and help fill the Bayshore, only for them to be placed in another conference. Losing those home games and replacing them with Brampton, North Bay and Sudbury would be quite a big loss of revenue.

At this point in time, Guelph/Owen Sound remain in the Midwest and Brantford/Niagara remain in the Central. If Muskegon and Youngstown join the league, followed by Cornwall and possibly Belleville (I think Andlauer eventually moves the Belleville Senators to the Ottawa-Gatineau region):

East - KGN, OTT, OSH, PBO, COR, BEL
Central - BFD, BRAM, SBY, NB, BAR, NIA

Midwest - GUE, KIT, LDN, OS, ERI, YOU
West - MUS, SAG, FLI, WSR, SAR, SSM
Soo Sudbury is a plenty big rivalry that's split by conference. They can keep GUE/KIT and just separate them for division purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad