Speculation: Two teams interested in acquiring Evander Kane

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think it's not just the idea of being a locker room cancer. It's also being a trouble-maker, a rule-breaker. He skirted the restrictions during covid, travelled out of the country and crossed even to Canada. He just believes he is better than the rest and the rules don't apply to him. He will do whatever he wants, whenever it pleases him. It's so volatile. Pavs was the one who he listened to, respected. When Pavs left the Sharks, it went downhill that year. I don't think he respects Mcdavid. When they needed him in the Finals, Kane didn't even man up and dress. Everything with him is such a dice roll.
I'm pretty sure they told him he was done and shut him down, as his injury had gotten to the point where he couldn't even sit down on the bench in between plays. He stood the entire game, because his injury was easier to manage that way.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If he's healthy and ready to go, sadly, I could actually see the Penguins being interested as a LW for Sid or Geno. I imagine they would want to ship Eller out and that might fortify the bottom 6 center positions a bit. Penguins have $3mil in space, Kane is $5.25mil, Eller is $2.45mil. Cap works.

In this scenario though, I imagine the Penguins would look to weaponize that cap space a bit and make Edmonton pay a bit. Maybe adding a 3rd this year or next. Or adding a prospect like Petrov. Pens then send a b-prospect back.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
I think it's not just the idea of being a locker room cancer. It's also being a trouble-maker, a rule-breaker. He skirted the restrictions during covid, travelled out of the country and crossed even to Canada. He just believes he is better than the rest and the rules don't apply to him. He will do whatever he wants, whenever it pleases him. It's so volatile. Pavs was the one who he listened to, respected. When Pavs left the Sharks, it went downhill that year. I don't think he respects Mcdavid. When they needed him in the Finals, Kane didn't even man up and dress. Everything with him is such a dice roll.
Why would he not respect the best player in NHL? Saying he doesn't respect McDavid is pure conjecture. Connor may be less vocal with Evander Kane than Pavelski was, and maybe Kane does need a babysitter to keep him focused, but to say he doesn't respect McDavid is kind of outrageous.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Why not.. Like it or not.. He would make the ducks much harder to play against
Really want a guy with a questionable past around the young guns. Also, does he want to go to a non-playoff team? Also, all he would do is make us a little better - not enough to make it all worth it

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk316

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I fully expect that whenever Kane will be ready, one of their 3-4 M players will require LTIR through the rest of the season (Arvidsson is the likely candidate considering how fragile he has been) and their issue will be solved.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Why would we look into it? The judge tossed it.

Blackmailing a millionaire with keeping a baby for money is kinda f***ed.
Because people who understand how the world works know that a judge discharging a debt in bankruptcy does not mean the circumstances underlying the debt did not occur.

What is kinda f***ed is Kane getting her pregnant three times, demanding she abort in each case, and using bankruptcy to weasel out of his financial obligation.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I fully expect that whenever Kane will be ready, one of their 3-4 M players will require LTIR through the rest of the season (Arvidsson is the likely candidate considering how fragile he has been) and their issue will be solved.
Certainly a possibility that someone could end up on ltir later in the year allowing for a Kane return but it’s still only a temporary fix unless the guy going on ltir later in the year is gone until the start of playoffs.

More likely it just buys them some time at the start of the season to evaluate their blue line. It’s a bit crowded and probably needs a Ceci upgrade but it seems like they want to see more of Broberg in that #4 slot before making a move. Once they have time to evaluate one of Ceci or Kulak could likely be traded to facilitate Kane coming off LTIR without having anyone else on ltir.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If he's healthy and ready to go, sadly, I could actually see the Penguins being interested as a LW for Sid or Geno. I imagine they would want to ship Eller out and that might fortify the bottom 6 center positions a bit. Penguins have $3mil in space, Kane is $5.25mil, Eller is $2.45mil. Cap works.

In this scenario though, I imagine the Penguins would look to weaponize that cap space a bit and make Edmonton pay a bit. Maybe adding a 3rd this year or next. Or adding a prospect like Petrov. Pens then send a b-prospect back.

I could see Dubas being interested in this. I see no chance that Sullivan would be on board, though. And we all know who wears the pants in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: SEALBound

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Because people who understand how the world works know that a judge discharging a debt in bankruptcy does not mean the circumstances underlying the debt did not occur.

What is kinda f***ed is Kane getting her pregnant three times, demanding she abort in each case, and using bankruptcy to weasel out of his financial obligation.
It's none of our business.

I have friends who don't talk to me about their abortions. I don't feel like its my right to know about anyone else's either. This is between them, and them alone. I don;t think it's your business and speculating on it is pointless.

Obviously there is absolutely ZERO possibility in your mind that "her thing" is to entrap millionaires with a pregnancy to extort them out of a financial payout? Because in your mind, Kane must be a villain no matter what.

So lets just say we don't have all the information, and that you can't really pass any judgement because nothing is there aside from conjecture and speculation. You don't know the conversations they've had. You don't know about any of the arrangements they've made.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It's none of our business.

I have friends who don't talk to me about their abortions. I don't feel like its my right to know about anyone else's either. This is between them, and them alone. I don;t think it's your business and speculating on it is pointless.

Obviously there is absolutely ZERO possibility in your mind that "her thing" is to entrap millionaires with a pregnancy to extort them out of a financial payout? Because in your mind, Kane must be a villain no matter what.

So let’s just say we don't have all the information, and that you can't really pass any judgement because nothing is there aside from conjecture and speculation. You don't know the conversations they've had. You don't know about any of the arrangements they've made.
Whether it is our business is not the point. The point is that Kane has demonstrated time and time again that he has serious character issues - and that he does not take personal accountability for his actions. Shown the door by WPG and BUF due to his toxicity, his contract terminated for cause by SJS, abuse allegations, infidelity allegations, abortion for pay allegations, the COVID document falsification/travel law violation situation, gambling debts, and the personal bankruptcy.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Whether it is our business is not the point. The point is that Kane has demonstrated time and time again that he has serious character issues - and that he does not take personal accountability for his actions. Shown the door by WPG and BUF due to his toxicity, his contract terminated for cause by SJS, abuse allegations, infidelity allegations, abortion for pay allegations, the COVID document falsification/travel law violation situation, gambling debts, and the personal bankruptcy.
If there was cause for terminating Kane’s contract then why did the Sharks have to pay him a settlement after the fact and why were they retroactively assessed a cap penalty?

The allegations made by his ex were investigated by the league and could not be substantiated, the same as all the allegations she made about him with regards to gambling on hockey. No charges were ever filed against Kane either. Also Kane won full custody of their daughter so I think it says a lot about her that a supposedly morally bankrupt person like Kane would be awarded full custody.

He’s also spoken about his struggles with gambling addiction, and as most people know addition can have pretty drastic effects on decision making and other aspects of a persons life.

No doubt that Kane has a less then stellar history but in the 3 years he’s been in Edmonton he’s been a model citizen, hasn’t gotten into trouble and by all accounts is one of the most involved Oilers when it comes to work in the community. Seems like he’s turned things around now that he’s gotten away from the toxic relationship with his ex wife, has gotten help for his gambling and has cleared up his financial issues.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Hmmmmm

Wonder if all those Oil fans screaming bloody murder about Vegas and Stone will have the same energy on this one.
Nope. All of a sudden it will be "well if other teams are doing it there's nothing wrong with our team doing it too".

"Cheating" will no longer be the word of choice.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I'm actually surprised teams don't trade more for LTIR players who will be back for playoffs. Those players are like free additions (other than trade cost). No cap worries for that season.
I'm fairly sure that players on either regular IR or LTIR can't be traded per the CBA. Otherwise it would have happened many times over the years. The NHL would also likely view it as cap circumvention & nix the trade altogether.

(maybe it was that those on LTIR who are traded midseason won't be eligible to play in the playoffs as there have been LTIR contracts traded in the offseason)

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hmmmmm

Wonder if all those Oil fans screaming bloody murder about Vegas and Stone will have the same energy on this one.
Where's the part where he's ready to go in Gane One of the playoffs two years in a row?

If you don't have any questions about the legitimacy of Stone's 'injury', you're an idiot.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hawks did it first

Hawks had it fall into their lap and from there it was realized.

Tampa engineered it to a point it was Obvious and nobody said anything really. Why the hell for the first time in hip injury history in all of the NHL did a player delay surgery to see if it would heal naturally. A complete mysterious 2 month gap in the season ending and a player going for surgery. On I repeat.. an injury that has never successfully healed itself without surgery. Nobody in the media EVER brings up the issue of the surgery date. Because Hockey writers are terrible journalists.

Vegas caught on and well.. when in Rome.

I hope Edmonton does this with Kane. It's quite effective. And I can see Kane being someone who may go along with it.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013

Yeah I don't see the Oilers adding to get Lars Eller. A broken Kane is still twice the playear Eller is

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00