Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Nick Robertson re-signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Robertsons biggest issue isnt ice time. It's consistency. Ice time wont help with that. His scoring/60 is pretty horrible compared to other players with similar ice-time last season.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
so turns out hes not even worth a 3rd round pick through offersheet,
just like I assumed he would come in under the cost of a single pick.
he doesnt wanna be here so id let him rot on the bench and play when there's an injury

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Bruh asked for a trade July 1st when all the pre-planning rosters was done.

Atleast ask for a trade pre draft.
This is one of those weird cases where I can't understand that thought process behind what went down, so I start looking for potential situations that could explain.

Anyone think it has something to do with having a sibling who seamlessly transitioned to the NHL and can't understand why he's struggling?

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Robertsons biggest issue isnt ice time. It's consistency. Ice time wont help with that. His scoring/60 is pretty horrible compared to other players with similar ice-time last season.
Uhhh, what? There's valid criticisms of Robertson's game, but production/60 is absolutely not one of them. He had more even strength goals/60 than anyone not named Auston Matthews on Toronto last year.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
This is one of those weird cases where I can't understand that thought process behind what went down, so I start looking for potential situations that could explain.

Anyone think it has something to do with having a sibling who seamlessly transitioned to the NHL and can't understand why he's struggling?
He finally matched his brother in terms of AHL games played.

Injuries stunted his development.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017

I’m not saying he’s correct or totally justified in being upset with his situation, but it’s easy to see why he would be.

From his perspective, he’s probably thinking: “I’m 22 years old, I’m putting up goals and points at a really high rate when I’m playing, and I can’t even get on the ice every night? Let alone get a real shot in the top 6?”

Right or wrong, there’s a ton of people who would be upset in that situation.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I mean if you don't play you don't improve, and he scored what 15 goals? that's pretty impressive for the amount he has play.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Just can't agree. It seemed he scored every game down the stretch with hardly any minutes a game

Reactions: Roo

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I’m not saying he’s correct or totally justified in being upset with his situation, but it’s easy to see why he would be.

From his perspective, he’s probably thinking: “I’m 22 years old, I’m putting up goals and points at a really high rate when I’m playing, and I can’t even get on the ice every night? Let alone get a real shot in the top 6?”

Right or wrong, there’s a ton of people who would be upset in that situation.
Agree with you in general, but the league has had a bunch of guys who were skilled enough to score in limited roles (Brendan Pirri for example) whose overall game didn't justify a bigger opportunity. IMO, you show you are ready for more responsibility in your overall play, not in the press during the offseason. It'll be interesting to see how NR does with Berube.

Mar 26, 2010
It will be funny to see everybody’s reaction when he scores 20 goals his season. The kid has a bomb of a shot. Especially coming in with a contract at league minimum, there is no downside here whatsoever. It’s not like it’s a $14 million AAV contract or something.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
he was always signing this contract, but players like Robertson and Berggren in Detroit, have now other option really. So this is their way of basically complaining they’re not happy. They just have no real rights yet until arbitration kicks in.

He’ll be given every opportunity to earn a spot. It really is up to him

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
This is all on the Leafs management. A cap strapped team in hell for years looking for for young talent within, on their ELC, and they F around with Robertson? Blows my mind

How hard is it to give the kid 3rd/2nd line minutes with some PP time?

Does this trend continue with Cowen and Minten? Leafs need to wake up and look at a team like Dallas and what they're doing

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Looks like there wasn't much interest in him around the league for some reason. He's a decent young player.

A little surprised a team didn't OS him a la Dylan Holloway. A third rounder isn't much
I guess it could be an issue of teams might like to have him, but not at a Dylan Holloway cap hit.
He's more valuable under this contract than the Holloway deal.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

What do you mean by that? He had 27 points in 56 games (all but three at ES) averaging only 11:23 in ice time per game. That doesn't seem like bad production for that much ice time.

Or do you mean that when he received bigger minutes, his scoring was disappointing relative to the increase in ice time?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Treliving has a long history of squeezing his RFAs. Also has a long history of it coming back to bite him in the ass. Guess we'll see if the same happens here.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Treliving has a long history of squeezing his RFAs. Also has a long history of it coming back to bite him in the ass. Guess we'll see if the same happens here.
If Robertson develops to the point of being able to "bite us in the ass" that means he becomes a very good NHL player...and he has a number of years before free agency. So sounds pretty good to me lol

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If Robertson develops to the point of being able to "bite us in the ass" that means he becomes a very good NHL player...and he has a number of years before free agency. So sounds pretty good to me lol

He already requested a trade and now had Treliving hold his career hostage forcing him to sign for pennies. Not totally impossible but I doubt we're going to see a happy ending with Robertson and the Leafs.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He already requested a trade and now had Treliving hold his career hostage forcing him to sign for pennies. Not totally impossible but I doubt we're going to see a happy ending with Robertson and the Leafs.
He either isn't that good and it doesn't matter....or he is very good, plays well for the Leafs and eventually leaves in free agency...and the Leafs get a number of productive years out of him prior. Or he becomes valuable enough to bring back something better then a 3rd or 4th round pick. I don't exactly see the downside here? I don't think anyone expects him to be a career Leaf lol

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Frequently infantilized player (constant referred to as "kid" 5 years since being drafted), production not the issue hence why he is still in NHL, issue is frequently injured and outside of production not really a contributor in a shotgun/depth slot. Long-term role is probably as a Mediocre Team Offensive Stat Production Guy. I don't really blame teams for not throwing a draft pick on him. They can sign him for "free" (i.e., cap space) soon enough.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He either isn't that good and it doesn't matter....or he is very good, plays well for the Leafs and eventually leaves in free agency...and the Leafs get a number of productive years out of him prior. Or he becomes valuable enough to bring back something better then a 3rd or 4th round pick. I don't exactly see the downside here? I don't think anyone expects him to be a career Leaf lol

You don't see any downside in a talented young RFA goalscoring winger wanting to not be on a team cap strapped like the Leafs are anymore?

Gotta admire the optimism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad