Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't understand the lack of opportunities for Alford yet Davis gets a lot.
Yea I’m not really sure why ALford isn’t getting the highest amount of opportunity. Davis, McKinney etc are essentially all 4th outfielders at best. Alford has the best chance of being an everyday guy.

The blue jays just activated Gurriel jr and Maile so Alford is toast now

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The only thing I can think of is that the team wants to make decisions on McKinney, Hernandez, Davis, etc, so they're giving them a chance to fight it out to see who stays. Meanwhile Alford would certainly be there moving forward so he doesn't need to audition ahead of the winter.

It doesn't make perfect sense, but its the best explanation I can come up with.

Reactions: hockeywiz542 and kb

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Davis is turning 28 early next season. He has no long term future with us. At best a 4th OF. I like the guy but he shouldn’t be getting any at bats. Probably a defensive replacement at best.

McKinney has showed little on D and with the bat. He has options so he should be in Buffalo next season.

Next season it should be Grichuk, Gurriel, Alford and Fisher in the OF. Hernandez should be DH but getting a cycle in the outfield.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Davis is turning 28 early next season. He has no long term future with us. At best a 4th OF. I like the guy but he shouldn’t be getting any at bats. Probably a defensive replacement at best.

McKinney has showed little on D and with the bat. He has options so he should be in Buffalo next season.

Next season it should be Grichuk, Gurriel, Alford and Fisher in the OF. Hernandez should be DH but getting a cycle in the outfield.
Teoscar can be a Khris Davis type

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Holy crap, the Jays love from the Yankees broadcasters is incredible. Building up most of the Jays young kids.

Reactions: ktownhockey

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is that the team wants to make decisions on McKinney, Hernandez, Davis, etc, so they're giving them a chance to fight it out to see who stays. Meanwhile Alford would certainly be there moving forward so he doesn't need to audition ahead of the winter.

That's a possibility and also they will have on more roster spot next year as well.

I don't see McKinney and Davis being more than a fourth outfielder.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

My fear is that he’s an AA guy so he’s not a priority anymore but he should be. He’s essentially what they’ve tried to bring in with guys like McKinney and Fisher. Just with what seems like a better chance of actually succeeding

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
My fear is that he’s an AA guy so he’s not a priority anymore but he should be. He’s essentially what they’ve tried to bring in with guys like McKinney and Fisher. Just with what seems like a better chance of actually succeeding

What makes him more likely to succeed? He has a wRC+ of 90 in 700+ PA at AAA the last two years.

I still like him and really want him to make it, but I don't get why people still think he's part of the future while they can't wait for McKinney and Fisher to leave.

For all the stuff people say about "AA guys" vs. "Shapiro guys", I think the fans are the ones who really see it that way ("our internal guys" vs. "outsiders they brought in").

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What makes him more likely to succeed? He has a wRC+ of 90 in 700+ PA at AAA the last two years.

I still like him and really want him to make it, but I don't get why people still think he's part of the future while they can't wait for McKinney and Fisher to leave.

For all the stuff people say about "AA guys" vs. "Shapiro guys", I think the fans are the ones who really see it that way ("our internal guys" vs. "outsiders they brought in").
Just to add
Davis is an AA guy and he’s getting chances. Between the two I’d rather them give Alford a chance.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

But when you exclude his pathetic April this season his line looks like (cant figure out how to eliminate the four games of rookie ball, so theyre included)

258 PA, .304/.388/.485, .181 ISO, 127 wRC+

I mean sure, he's a little old to be a real prospect in AAA, but his numbers improved mightily after April. To me he still looks like a legit option for CF with great on base skills going forward.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

What I’m actually saying is with all the fringy outfield prospects we’ve brought in recently the oft injured Alford may not get a great chance which isn’t helped because he isn’t one of those guys brought in by this regime. It’s not a f*** this guy because he isn’t one of ours. I mean it in the sense that they went out and got these other guys and saw something they really liked in them so now they want to see if they can turn those lemons into lemonade. I know the Davis thing as well. Nothing makes sense about him getting at bats. Literally a non prospect that should be an afterthought

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently the blue jays and shoemaker have mutual interest in a return next year. I don’t have any issue with it. He needs to stay healthy but he was great in the limited time he was

Reactions: kb

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Apparently the blue jays and shoemaker have mutual interest in a return next year. I don’t have any issue with it. He needs to stay healthy but he was great in the limited time he was

Agreed. With all the young pitchers coming they're gonna need some vets who can come cheap and provide leadership and innings. There's no huge guarantee that Shoemaker can do the latter, but you can structure a deal that is built around that fact.

He hasn't performed particularly great, but I wouldn't mind Clay Buchholz back too.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Agreed. With all the young pitchers coming they're gonna need some vets who can come cheap and provide leadership and innings. There's no huge guarantee that Shoemaker can do the latter, but you can structure a deal that is built around that fact.

He hasn't performed particularly great, but I wouldn't mind Clay Buchholz back too.
They’ve been showing Buckholtz with a lot of the young pitchers lately and saying how he’s been very willing to work with them and kind of mentor them. I don’t really have issue with either returning. Clay would only get one year anyway. They won’t really be holding anyone back

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Definitely would like to have Shoemaker and Buchholz back. Both should be looking to bounce back after injuries and are great veteran leadership for pitchers coming in. Really like to see Buchholz’s evolution as a professional and a leader.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing both back. If Buchholz doesn't then they should sign a FA. I learned my lesson this year. I thought they had too many starters at the start of camp. You can't have enough.

Shoemaker
Buchholz/FA
Borucki
Thornton
Waguespack/Kay/Zeuch etc.

I think Kay and Zeuch could use more time in AAA so would like to see them sign another FA.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What I’m actually saying is with all the fringy outfield prospects we’ve brought in recently the oft injured Alford may not get a great chance which isn’t helped because he isn’t one of those guys brought in by this regime. It’s not a **** this guy because he isn’t one of ours. I mean it in the sense that they went out and got these other guys and saw something they really liked in them so now they want to see if they can turn those lemons into lemonade. I know the Davis thing as well. Nothing makes sense about him getting at bats. Literally a non prospect that should be an afterthought

Fair enough.

I still like Davis though. 117 wRC+ in AAA, fantastic CF defense... at the very least he's a solid fit as a potential fourth OF.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Fair enough.

I still like Davis though. 117 wRC+ in AAA, fantastic CF defense... at the very least he's a solid fit as a potential fourth OF.
That’s what annoying though. It seems like their auditioning for the 4th outfielder when we could actually use a true everyday cf which I think Alford has the best chance of being

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

We saw clay's impact on thornton with the circle change. It's good to have vets like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad