Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Biggio is going to be a 2 fWAR player in 89 games after tonight.

It’s hard not to be excited about that considering it’s his rookie year.

As I said before, a 2 WAR floor isn’t out of the question with that walk rate. Hitting and power is coming and once that defense stabilizes then you are looking at one of th best 2B in the game.
I fought the Law and the Law lost.....I fought the Law, and the Law lost.....

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hits for the cycle and steals 2 bases ? that has to be a record

2nd player in the last 100 years to have a cycle with multiple steals. Charlie Moore did it on October 1, 1980 while playing for Milwaukee against the then-California Angels. He was the starting catcher too.

Milwaukee Brewers at California Angels Box Score, October 1, 1980 | Baseball-Reference.com

Fun other fact: Charlie Moore played his final MLB season as a member of the Blue Jays, backing up Ernie Whitt.

Other fun other fact: The Biggios are now the second father-son duo to record cycles. Craig had his cycle in 2002. The other duo was Gary (1980) and Daryle (2004) Ward.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
2nd player in the last 100 years to have a cycle with multiple steals. Charlie Moore did it on October 1, 1980 while playing for Milwaukee against the then-California Angels. He was the starting catcher too.

Milwaukee Brewers at California Angels Box Score, October 1, 1980 | Baseball-Reference.com

Fun other fact: Charlie Moore played his final MLB season as a member of the Blue Jays, backing up Ernie Whitt.

Other fun other fact: The Biggios are now the second father-son duo to record cycles. Craig had his cycle in 2002. The other duo was Gary (1980) and Daryle (2004) Ward.

Now, I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves or anything, but Vlad Sr and Dante Bichette both hit for the cycle, too.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Mark Shapiro joins Tim and Sid to discuss the progress made by the Toronto Blue Jays, developing young stars, and how they will make the jump from a competitive team, to a winning team in the future.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Now, I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves or anything, but Vlad Sr and Dante Bichette both hit for the cycle, too.
I guess that if Prince Fielder once hit for the cycle it's not impossible, but I'm not holding my breath on Vladdy.

He should gun for the HR cycle instead.

Edit: It wasn't Fielder. I'm not sure who I'm thinking of. Bengie Molina maybe?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Mark Shapiro joins Tim and Sid to discuss the progress made by the Toronto Blue Jays, developing young stars, and how they will make the jump from a competitive team, to a winning team in the future.

"Great Progress"
"They compete"
"Transition from competing to winning"
"Patience"
"Just get in the playoffs"
"We will look to add"
"We will be opportunistic this winter"
"Step out of comfort zone in free agency or trade for starting pitching"

Sounds very promising of where Shapiro sees the current state of the Jays. To me it sounds like Shapiro isn't going anywhere and feels the Jays are on the cusp of being a contender. I would agree with everything he said in this piece. We definitely have the right person at the helm to get us back to where the Jays should be and that is at the top of the division.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I guess that if Prince Fielder once hit for the cycle it's not impossible, but I'm not holding my breath on Vladdy.

I remember Fielder hitting for a triple and it was a pretty big deal. Everyone was extremely surprised by that. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Biggio is going to be a 2 fWAR player in 89 games after tonight.

It’s hard not to be excited about that considering it’s his rookie year.

As I said before, a 2 WAR floor isn’t out of the question with that walk rate. Hitting and power is coming and once that defense stabilizes then you are looking at one of th best 2B in the game.

2.6 bWAR in 89 games.

Guy has played pretty close to an All-Star level as a rookie. But not worth a roster spot.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
2.6 bWAR in 89 games.

Guy has played pretty close to an All-Star level as a rookie. But not worth a roster spot.

Again take it from the source it comes from and with a grain of salt!!!!

Mr. Law is a has been, and the Jays getting rid of him made him that. His place in the MLB is not existent and it had to do with the Jays stunting his growth because he was useless.

He will never have anything nice to say about the Jays, their front office or prospects.

It is what it is.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
2.6 bWAR in 89 games.

Since Roster Spot-Gate: Cavan Biggio » Game Logs » 2019 » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

63 PAs, 17 hits, 5 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR, 15 R, 11 RBIs, 4 SB, 20.6 BB%, 46,9% Hard contact, 223 wRC+

In this timeframe, Biggio is 8th in fWAR and 2nd in wRC+ with 223, only behind Suarez with 224 IN THE LEAGUE.

Major League Leaderboards » 2019 » Batters » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

Full season (minimum of 350 PAs):

Biggio has a 1.9 fWAR in 89 games and that is 116th in the league. 30 teams x 9 starters = 270. Biggio is better than the median. Of 2nd basemen he is 13th and everyone above him with the exception of 4 players has roughly 200 more PAs. I like him to be a 2-4 WAR player moving forward.

I remind you, he is a rookie. And Law STILL says he isnt worth a roster spot? A complete joke.

cugsfbebkdn31.png

Reactions: thehockeysong

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I mentioned it right after the deadline, unless teams thought Giles needed Tommy John, not trading for Giles would be many contending team's biggest regret - it is a star backend reliever that they could have gotten at a huge discount.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Since Roster Spot-Gate: Cavan Biggio » Game Logs » 2019 » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

63 PAs, 17 hits, 5 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR, 15 R, 11 RBIs, 4 SB, 20.6 BB%, 46,9% Hard contact, 223 wRC+

In this timeframe, Biggio is 8th in fWAR and 2nd in wRC+ with 223, only behind Suarez with 224 IN THE LEAGUE.

Major League Leaderboards » 2019 » Batters » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

Full season (minimum of 350 PAs):

Biggio has a 1.9 fWAR in 89 games and that is 116th in the league. 30 teams x 9 starters = 270. Biggio is better than the median. Of 2nd basemen he is 13th and everyone above him with the exception of 4 players has roughly 200 more PAs. I like him to be a 2-4 WAR player moving forward.

I remind you, he is a rookie. And Law STILL says he isnt worth a roster spot? A complete joke.

There was a time when I was in the "Keith Law doesn't hate the jays, he wouldn't hold a grudge forever" camp. With stuff like this it's like he's trying to prove to everyone that he is in fact the exact kind of guy that never lets any single thing go. He's the trainwreck you can't look away from.

Reactions: Discoverer and kb

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I mentioned it right after the deadline, unless teams thought Giles needed Tommy John, not trading for Giles would be many contending team's biggest regret - it is a star backend reliever that they could have gotten at a huge discount.

He likely wasn't traded because he was not available at a discount. Likelihood is they were asking for full freight for a guy that had\has health questions.

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

John Olerud did it twice.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wow, I remembered Vlad had 1 triple, didn't realize he had 2 this year. Both games he's got a single too. Too good at hitting triples not good enough at hitting homeruns, if only there was a triples derby he could compete in :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You can always count on shapiro to make a dull move.

By which I mean the Blu Jays have claimed pitcher Ryan Dull off waivers and placed Tim Mayza on the 60-day IL

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What for? Don't we have enough pitchers to finish the season with? Honest question.

I imagine it's very much a "why not?" acquisition. The rosters have no limit right now, nobody needed to be sacrificed off the 40-man to make way for the acquisition, and it's not like the team can't use as many potential relievers as possible now and in the future.

Dull isn't likely high upside (he's 29 and has had good but not great seasons to date), but he did look solid prior to this year as a guy with good command and some swing-and-miss before coming apart at the seams. He has another option year left on his contract and it costs basically nothing to bring him in and let him audition or have him as a security blanket in case other relievers need to be shut down or come up hurt in the last couple weeks of the season.

Basically there's no downside, so why not roll the dice and see what happens. Best case they've found another arm to compete for next year's pen or be Buffalo depth. Worst case they're no worse off than they were yesterday.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Grichuk gets his 30th HR in fashion with a grand slam.

Baltimore with an elite tank. Blew a 7-1 lead and 9-5 lead in the 9th. Jays up 11-9

Reactions: kb

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Forgive a casual fan's question, but what's the dope on Reese McGuire? Is he decent behind the plate? A future starter? Analytics picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad