TSN McKenzie's Top 15 Rankings, NHL Draft Lottery Edition

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It really depends on the player's genetics. Some fill out before 18, some after 18, some in their 20's, and some never do.

I'm sure we could go through plenty of examples of guys where the lack of NHL strength lowers their upside (e.g. Kent Johnson).

I have no idea how well Catton will fill out.
I remember someone (Brian Burke?) saying Ryan Miller worked out but NEVER got any bigger - although, as a goalie, being lanky would be for the best. I just think between vitamins / supplements / the right kind of food and a workout coach, everyone would get there.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This board loves loves guys who can dangle teenagers and hates guys who play effective and smart hockey against men. No dangles = no upside.
Same with stats. I'd happily trade 20 points a NHL season for someone who plays a hard 200 foot game but many posters (I am guilty of it, too) love those flashy totals.

For whatever reason, not everyone does. There are skinny NHLers.
It would be nice to be one of those guys. :)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Same with stats. I'd happily trade 20 points a NHL season for someone who plays a hard 200 foot game but many posters (I am guilty of it, too) love those flashy totals.
Right, like saying that Catton should be drafted over Iginla purely because of point totals. Points obviously matter, but it’s not everything in scouting because scouting is about projection. If it were all about taking the guy scoring the best at 18 in whatever league they’re in, then scouting would be totally unnecessary.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Right, like saying that Catton should be drafted over Iginla purely because of point totals. Points obviously matter, but it’s not everything in scouting because scouting is about projection. If it were all about taking the guy scoring the best at 18 in whatever league they’re in, then scouting would be totally unnecessary.
^^ Yup. ^^ There is so much more to a player than stats - maybe that's why so many 1st rounders flop.

God knows, as a Leaf fan, I know the pain of playerS who can tear up stat charts ALL season and disappear when the going gets tough. They get your hopes up and then, the next thing you know, you are heart broken, a crushed soul, with a pieces of pizza in one hand, a drink in the other, screaming at your TV :

"I HATE YOUR GUTS, MARNER !!!!"

Sorry about that, @Juxtaposer, I went somewhere DARK for a second. ;)

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I have a real tough time slotting in Silayev that high…a bit underwhelming 2nd half, Russian, and Left handed D, I tend to push him down in mocks. I just don’t really see a fit up that high. I’d probably go for Buium, Levshunov, Dickinson, and Parekh before him

Very intriguing draft though still. 2-13 could almost go in any direction

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
In my opinion, Hughes is one of the better finishers in the league. But if the JFresh card says he’s bad at it, then we both must be absolutely crazy, right?
As a Devils fan, calling Jack Hughes one of the better finishers in the league is absolutely crazy. When he’s playing well he’s a chance generating machine. Far from a great finisher, just gets more than enough chances to make it count by being a decent finisher.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It’s getting easier to stick at center now in the NHL. Players like Hughes and Bedard didn’t have old school center profiles and neither has been moved off center.
Not sure you that’s a good example. Hughes and Bedard are #1 overall picks and two of the most talented players in the entire world. Shouldn’t use them to suggest it’s getting easier to stick at center unless we’re talking about comparably talented players. As others have mentioned they may not last at center and Hughes in fact has already been moved off center recently.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder how much that has to do with him being from Norway? It always seems that draftees from non traditional hockey player producing countries get looked down upon. (Zuccarello being the only big name born there)

Somewhat Similarly I wonder where Chernyshov is ranked given that the MHL always seems to be a scouting wasteland.

Both players I would prefer the Devils pick over the players ranked 10 and after.
Nothing to do with Norway. Scouts just hate Belgians.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I remember someone (Brian Burke?) saying Ryan Miller worked out but NEVER got any bigger - although, as a goalie, being lanky would be for the best. I just think between vitamins / supplements / the right kind of food and a workout coach, everyone would get there.

Getting bigger involves eating more than usual. As a goalie, you don’t want to pit on that kind of weight, you’re looking to be strong enough but not burdened by weight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not sure you that’s a good example. Hughes and Bedard are #1 overall picks and two of the most talented players in the entire world. Shouldn’t use them to suggest it’s getting easier to stick at center unless we’re talking about comparably talented players. As others have mentioned they may not last at center and Hughes in fact has already been moved off center recently.
I think Catton is the second best player in this draft, so I think it’s close to comparable levels of players.

Either way, what about like Logan Cooley or Marco Rossi?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Catton is the second best player in this draft, so I think it’s close to comparable levels of players.

Watching Rossi in jr was obvious he doesnt have the explosive skating to be a top line center in the NHL or even a 2nd line center on a contender. I dont see any team winning anything with him in a top 6 role as a center even if they have a power first line center. Not fast or dynamic enough of a skater.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Not sure many people if anyone would say Catton is anywhere near the same planet as Bedard and Hughes talentwise but that’s your opinion.

Cooley is also probably more talented in most opinions, is extremely fast and it still remains to be seen if he’ll stick there although I think he could with his skating and style of play. Again I don’t think Catton is on his level skill wise.

If you’re talking about Rossi you might as well go all the way back to Crosby although Rossi is a little shorter. He’s extremely built and strong and not remotely like a Hughes or Cooley. I’m also not overly high on Rossi’s potential.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm assuming that was due to the shoulder and not something that is likely to be a long term thing.
I would not be surprised if it was long-term. Or at least a hybrid situation playing him with someone who is a center as well and can take certain responsibilities at times.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Agreed, but drafting like that would actually outperform many teams' scouting departments. I believe someone did that with the Canucks a while back.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Will Calgary feel forced to pick Iggy 2.0?
You might argue a few other players slightly over him, but it wouldn't be some reach. I think it'd be like when NJ took Luke Hughes. Would they 100% have taken him if Jack wasn't on the team? I don't know, as you could definitely argue Brandt Clarke was just as good, maybe slightly better.

Tij is in the 9ish range. So he could go in that range regardless of Calgary picking there. It might make them lean towards him more than other teams because of the connection, but again, not some forced reach.

I have a real tough time slotting in Silayev that high…a bit underwhelming 2nd half, Russian, and Left handed D, I tend to push him down in mocks. I just don’t really see a fit up that high. I’d probably go for Buium, Levshunov, Dickinson, and Parekh before him

Very intriguing draft though still. 2-13 could almost go in any direction
Agreed. Silayev will go super high because of his size. But the rest you listed, I like more. Siliayev isn't bad, but I think he's more Zadorov/Myers than the next Hedman.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Big and muscular NHL'ers are rare.

Most guys I see are so dang thin lol. When I saw mark stone in gym clothes last week I was in shock lol.

I think folks ITT confusing strength for bulk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad