TSN McKenzie's Top 15 Rankings, NHL Draft Lottery Edition

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
His size isn't "slightly mediocre". He's pretty far below average, both in height and even more so in weight. May be real concerns that he has the type of slight frame that just won't ever be able to add much helpful mass. Too skilled to be passed up for too long though.

He's listed at 5'11, that in no way is far below average. If any scout thinks being underweight at 18 years old is a concern they are a COMPLETE donkey, that goes for thinking guys with slight frames can't add real mass. Might as well just draft 30 year olds then.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His size isn't "slightly mediocre". He's pretty far below average, both in height and even more so in weight. May be real concerns that he has the type of slight frame that just won't ever be able to add much helpful mass. Too skilled to be passed up for too long though.
He’s listed at 5’11 the most recent listings, and players this age don’t tend to have their height go down as opposed to up.

6’1 is about NHL average rounded up. But typically when a forward is 6’0 people stop talking about it as a real weakness.

His weight is well below average, but he also has plenty of time to improve there. Not like he’s playing in the NHL next year anyway. Plenty of players over the years have put on 20-30 pounds. I think that’s probably the easiest thing to improve on compared to getting better at hockey.

Reactions: ORRFForever

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He’s listed at 5’11 the most recent listings, and players this age don’t tend to have their height go down as opposed to up.

6’1 is about NHL average rounded up. But typically when a forward is 6’0 people stop talking about it as a real weakness.

His weight is well below average, but he also has plenty of time to improve there. Not like he’s playing in the NHL next year anyway. Plenty of players over the years have put on 20-30 pounds. I think that’s probably the easiest thing to improve in compared to getting better at hockey.

I was still looking at older measurements perhaps (saw both 5'11 163 and 5'10 170) but I think the weight or question about adding weight is obviously the more pressing issue (if there is one) that keeps him from being firmly in every top 7-8. Talent wise he has to be right up there, obviously some physical freaks will jump ahead but Catton has to be top 10 unless there are size concerns.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

His weight is well below average, but he also has plenty of time to improve there. Not like he’s playing in the NHL next year anyway. Plenty of players over the years have put on 20-30 pounds. I think that’s probably the easiest thing to improve on compared to getting better at hockey.

Fair enough. I did NOT mean it as a slight towards you.

If it is a concern, I just find it hard to believe (in 2024) they can't find a way to put meat on his bones.

It really depends on the player's genetics. Some fill out before 18, some after 18, some in their 20's, and some never do.

I'm sure we could go through plenty of examples of guys where the lack of NHL strength lowers their upside (e.g. Kent Johnson).

I have no idea how well Catton will fill out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It will be very tough to take Levshunov over Buium.
It's the size, skating, and being a RHD. I like Buium a lot, and think he has the "it" factor, but scouts like the physical tools, as evidenced by Lindstrom being picked well ahead of Catton, even though he has barely played since the last rankings, and Catton has been killing it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It seems like Demidov is probably a good bet to be picked #2, though i can see a team jumping on one of the many excellent Dmen. Demidov will certainly be a top 5 pick? Besides that, I wouldn't be surprised at anything. Parekh could be picked 4th, or 12th. Same with Catton, and Yakemchuk. I am bemused with Lindstom's ranking.... I mean the guy barely played, while players like Buium , Parekh, Catton, Eiserman had productive years.

This is one of the those years where i would trade a 3rd oa for a 10th and 16th. In most years, no way do you do that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am bemused with Lindstom's ranking.... I mean the guy barely played, while players like Buium , Parekh, Catton, Eiserman had productive years.

You have to be a special player to hold your spot like that through a season long injury, and Cayden Lindstrom is. Teams know this is maybe their only shot to get a player like him.

I am somewhat more bemused by Anton Silayev's spot in the top 5. He played, but not that well, in the second half. He didn't score at all, even after he was sent down to the MHL. I watched a lot of those games and there was no pretense of offense, he played like a guy who knows that he's just there to play defense.

It seems like Demidov is probably a good bet to be picked #2, though i can see a team jumping on one of the many excellent Dmen. Demidov will certainly be a top 5 pick? Besides that, I wouldn't be surprised at anything. Parekh could be picked 4th, or 12th. Same with Catton, and Yakemchuk. I am bemused with Lindstom's ranking.... I mean the guy barely played, while players like Buium , Parekh, Catton, Eiserman had productive years.

This is one of the those years where i would trade a 3rd oa for a 10th and 16th. In most years, no way do you do that.

If Anaheim is at #2 I think it ups the odds that Levshunov goes there.

There are also 2/10 top 5 votes for Carter Yakemchuk, who screams Anaheim to me. Though even to me #2 feels a bit high.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
You're kind of proving a point I have about this center discussion - that folks have a needless fixation on putting the best player at center.

You're saying that Geno is a great player and therefore he should be at center. Being at center should be just about center specific attributes - notably defending down low, starting breakouts low, winning faceoffs. There's nothing wrong with putting the best player at wing, it's not a punishment or a downgrade.

As for Jack Hughes, he's effectively spent much of his career with Erik Haula and others doing much of the center duties for him, even though Hughes is always labeled the center. Perhaps Hughes has it figured out now though, I don't know. People are very obsessed with who is at center, but seemingly mostly obsessed with who is labeled center, and less interested in who is actually doing center things.

Coming back to Catton - someone can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Catton say he sees himself on the wing? He has a hard time down low defending vs players his own size so putting him in that position in the NHL seems foolish. If he's a center it will likely be a J Hughes type situation where someone else is doing the defending for him, at least for several years. And there's nothing wrong with that, you can have the best offensive player on the wing, there's little lost in doing that. And perhaps something gained, it would save him a lot of energy, Catton wouldn't look as tired.
Really. I mean we didn’t move Panarin to center for good reason…

Reactions: majormajor

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Konsta Helenius' looked better in u20 than in u18. Wouldn't be surprised if he looked better in WHC than in u20. The guy's brain is made for pro hockey. That alone makes him much more interesting prospect than many in top10.

Might be this year's Sebastian Aho.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard.

Really solid very ready forward who is notably absent from the top 15 in this poll.
I wonder how much that has to do with him being from Norway? It always seems that draftees from non traditional hockey player producing countries get looked down upon. (Zuccarello being the only big name born there)

Somewhat Similarly I wonder where Chernyshov is ranked given that the MHL always seems to be a scouting wasteland.

Both players I would prefer the Devils pick over the players ranked 10 and after.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would say Hughes' skillset advantage starts from the defending blueline forward. He is a great transition player and he would still be fantastic at it if he was taking a pass at the blueline and starting the rush from there. That's basically where Panarin, Kaprizov, etc.. do it, those guys are among the top transition players in the league, Hughes can be the faster version of that.

And a lot of folks don't know this but for many years Landeskog was the down low guy and Mackinnon would swoop down from the wing position to start the breakout. Basically a curling breakout but starting from the wing rather than the curling breakout from the lower center position. But Mackinnon was still listed as the center, so it didn't come up here.

Exactly. It doesn't mean much offensively at all.
This is a weird thing that has happened in Canadian development, where there is almost an insistence that elite forwards get developed at centre. Realistically each of MacKinnon, Stamkos, Hughes (he's from Toronto) and McDavid plays like a winger and for most of hockey history would have been openly deployed as such. Star wing prospects like Marner get tried at centre often, and Benn did in his late junior and early NHL days too. It wasn't viewed as a negative that for several decades the NHL's best forward (Richard in the 1940s, Howe in the 1950s, Hull in the 1960s, Lafleur in the 1970s) was a winger. It changed with the players who came about in the 1980s. Other countries aren't as fixated on it in their development, most notably Russia. Centre is a more important position than winger, but putting a player who excels only at the offensive aspects there regardless of fit is pointless. An offensive force can dominate from the wing.

As for McKenzie's list, I'm interested to see how the draft breaks down with how wide open it seems to be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder how much that has to do with him being from Norway? It always seems that draftees from non traditional hockey player producing countries get looked down upon. (Zuccarello being the only big name born there)

Somewhat Similarly I wonder where Chernyshov is ranked given that the MHL always seems to be a scouting wasteland.

Both players I would prefer the Devils pick over the players ranked 10 and after.

They're both underrated, especially MBN, in my opinion. He's in a heavily scouted league (Allsvenskan) in Sweden so people have seen him, I think it's just a difference of opinion about upside. Most scouts think he tops out mid-lineup.

MBN is going to play more games for the Norwegian men's team so that might help him make his case. Though after scoring all 4 goals in a 4-3 win over Denmark, you'd think that would have helped generate the buzz, and it's still quiet.

Reactions: Xirik

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They're both underrated, especially MBN, in my opinion. He's in a heavily scouted league (Allsvenskan) in Sweden so people have seen him, I think it's just a difference of opinion about upside. Most scouts think he tops out mid-lineup.

MBN is going to play more games for the Norwegian men's team so that might help him make his case. Though after scoring all 4 goals in a 4-3 win over Denmark, you'd think that would have helped generate the buzz, and it's still quiet.
This board loves loves guys who can dangle teenagers and hates guys who play effective and smart hockey against men. No dangles = no upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad