TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
have HuGo made sure the new equipment guy has signed his non-disclosure yet?
LMAO
Mapper on JiC saying that he received a lot of messages from people in the hockey world expressing concern about the book. Unfortunately, he wasn’t specific but your message is exactly the reaction I had.

Executives on several NHL teams are probably weighing their options and considering how to tighten up the confidentiality of information stemming from the dressing room and heard by or shared with support staff.

That said, I’d be surprised if support staff on all teams were not already bound by a confidentiality agreement, especially given the type of industry they’re in.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Mapper on JiC saying that he received a lot of messages from people in the hockey world expressing concern about the book. Unfortunately, he wasn’t specific but your message is exactly the reaction I had.

Executives on several NHL teams are probably weighing their options and considering how to tighten up the confidentiality of information stemming from the dressing room and heard by or shared with support staff.

That said, I’d be surprised if support staff on all teams were not already bound by a confidentiality agreement, especially given the type of industry they’re in.
I wont say who, but I know someone who has worked for the team in a very similar role to Pierre Gervais, I wont say who he is, if he's still there or what his exact role was but I will say is while they work for the team and on the payroll they are held to confidentiality clauses and cannot say anything to anyone outside the team. However, when they no longer work for the team, there is nothing holding them back from releasing any and all info they want

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wont say who, but I know someone who has worked for the team in a very similar role to Pierre Gervais, I wont say who he is, if he's still there or what his exact role was but I will say is while they work for the team and on the payroll they are held to confidentiality clauses and cannot say anything to anyone outside the team. However, when they no longer work for the team, there is nothing holding them back from releasing any and all info they want
That looks like a rather loose arrangement, since they can still comment and publish accounts about individuals who are still with the organization at the time they leave.

Maybe ownership ought to consider a grace period in their covenants before a departed staffer can publish material, I don’t know. Or maybe, ownership doesn’t feel that departing support staff pose a serious enough threat anyways.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I haven't read it, but how does Gervais have credible info on Vegas?
Gervais was the equipment king in the NHL. Other teams’ equipment managers certainly talked to him.

That looks like a rather loose arrangement, since they can still comment and publish accounts about individuals who are still with the organization at the time they leave.

Maybe ownership ought to consider a grace period in their covenants before a departed staffer can publish material, I don’t know. Or maybe, ownership doesn’t feel that departing support staff pose a serious enough threat anyways.
You can’t do that legally. Once you leave, you can’t bind an employee if he’s not on the payroll.

Even confidentiality and non-competition clauses have been challenged and defeated in court.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Of course they are concerned. The hockey world has been pretty good at keeping a lid on many scandals and stories. Look at the scandals in the NBA and the NFL. Markets where real investigative sports reporters work. Look at the great reporting done on Team Canada by a great investigative sports reporter.

Montreal has none of that. Team controls the message like never before. Heck, they even offer a jersey to a beat reporter that changes beat teams.

So when something like this breaks out, they cringe. Oh my. The humanity.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
2 guys Gervais hated the most...Cammalleri and Niinimaa. Cammy was the most arrogant guy he met. And Niinimaa was just a bad person, drunk, inappropriate in public, would have been destroyed in a social media era. And one time, in a hotel lobby, with his dick out...lol. But Gervais REALLY seems to have hated Cammy with a passion.
Wow
You know I always thought cammy had a bit of an attitude problem.. interesting to see it confirmed

But LOOOL did I ever call that pacioretty shit, never fooled me ya prick

Man this book is a goldmine lol.. but I have a liiiittle bit of a problem with its timing, like you couldnt do this next august? The team we have NOW is the only party that suffers in reality

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gervais was the equipment king in the NHL. Other teams’ equipment managers certainly talked to him.

You can’t do that legally. Once you leave, you can’t bind an employee if he’s not on the payroll.

Even confidentiality and non-competition clauses have been challenged and defeated in court.
It can still be drafted in against compensation. Some clauses if deemed reasonable, have been upheld, and at times judges allow them but impose a restriction on their scope instead of ordering their deletion.

Let the employee challenge it in Court. Chances are, a lot of them won’t go through the cost and burden of litigation.

Last edited:
Reactions: hvac412

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Depends which side you’re on. To Gervais, it’s a form of empowerment — if he had really crossed the line, would he have been able to do his book launch from there? He makes an interesting point.
Ironic that the book launch was held at the Bell Centre.
Apparently HuGo and MSL were present too. Gervais is due to talk with Marinaro on his podcast within the next week. Should be an interesting discussion

Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

La campagne de salissage commence. :laugh:
Gervais's book is gossip-for-profit. It's not an exposé of serious abuse – it's just about who said mean things to whom. No reason for young players to publicly support a book that rips on their employer; I'm sure Gervais understands this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

La campagne de salissage commence. :laugh:
The article claims that 8 players intended to show up at the book launch and at least 4 of them had confirmed their presence and then all of them bailed.

If I’m these players’ agent, I recommend that they don’t show up. Gervais has no influence on their careers. However, people like Bergevin and Ducharme who were panned by Gervais may cross paths in the future with these players if they no longer should be Habs one day and there could be a fallout for them.

Hockey is a small world and some people don’t forget. Best to distance oneself from negative commentary.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Depends which side you’re on. To Gervais, it’s a form of empowerment — if he had really crossed the line, would he have been able to do his book launch from there? He makes an interesting point.
Agree 100%. Or should I say 110%!

The article claims that 8 players intended to show up at the book launch and at least 4 of them had confirmed their presence and then all of them bailed.

If I’m these players’ agent, I recommend that they don’t show up. Gervais has no influence on their careers. However, people like Bergevin and Ducharme who were panned by Gervais may cross paths in the future with these players if they no longer should be Habs one day and there could be a fallout for them.

Hockey is a small world and some people don’t forget. Best to distance oneself from negative commentary.
Carbo, Damphousse, Savard, Houle, Gorton, Hughes and St-Louis were there. That actual players weren’t there is fine. Reporters were waiting for them like hounds for sure.

The Alumni didn’t care for Bergevin and his cronies much so it doesn’t matter to them.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Of course, I like what I've heard from that book...makes me more right than wrong about what I thought.
Of course, I also like it as a fan to know some inside real stories.

But I think it's too soon.

Out of the respect for the people who gave him that jobs for so long and....well, if it wasn't for them, who would give a shit about an equipment guy or he should have left the actual team untouched, maybe just do a 2nd book 10 years from now when those players are out of Montreal.

Now medias asking question about that to players, which is not cool.....I understand that players didn't show up, hockey team is like a family and he put tons of them in uncomfortable position. Really not cool.

A part likes it but a part of me also see the grift......and honeslty, I see the typical Brunet behind all of this and I'm sorry, I hate the guy for actually thinking he's above this organization all the time and is typical attention seeker writing. Small time journalist that think the Habs owe journalist something,

As a fan, still like it.....If i was Suzuki or Caufield, I would never talk to that person ever again and call him an A-hole

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Of course, I like what I've heard from that book...makes me more right than wrong about what I thought.
Of course, I also like it as a fan to know some inside real stories.

But I think it's too soon.

Out of the respect for the people who gave him that jobs for so long and....well, if it wasn't for them, who would give a shit about an equipment guy or he should have left the actual team untouched, maybe just do a 2nd book 10 years from now when those players are out of Montreal.

Now medias asking question about that to players, which is not cool.....I understand that players didn't show up, hockey team is like a family and he put tons of them in uncomfortable position. Really not cool.

A part likes it but a part of me also see the grift......and honeslty, I see the typical Brunet behind all of this and I'm sorry, I hate the guy for actually thinking he's above this organization all the time and is typical attention seeker writing. Small time journalist that think the Habs owe journalist something,

As a fan, still like it.....If i was Suzuki or Caufield, I would never talk to that person ever again and call him an A-hole
Totally agree. As a fan, I'll eat this stuff up just like when there's a juicy topic on this board. But let's call Gervais's book what it is: Cheap gossip. He and Brunet are trying to make a quick buck NOW before Ducharme and Bergevin's names fade.

From a professional perspective, I can confirm you're probably 100% right about Brunet's role. Ghostwriters try to unearth as much dirt as they can to spice up the story. I'd bet real money Brunet pushed Gervais to portray everyone in the worst possible light. I don't doubt the stuff about Pacioretty, Subban, Ducharme, Bergevin, etc. is based on truth, but the book is probably closer to a caricature.

Reactions: Milhouse40

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Totally agree. As a fan, I'll eat this stuff up just like when there's a juicy topic on this board. But let's call Gervais's book what it is: Cheap gossip. He and Brunet are trying to make a quick buck NOW before Ducharme and Bergevin's names fade.

From a professional perspective, I can confirm you're probably 100% right about Brunet's role. Ghostwriters try to unearth as much dirt as they can to spice up the story. I'd bet real money Brunet pushed Gervais to portray everyone in the worst possible light. I don't doubt the stuff about Pacioretty, Subban, Ducharme, Bergevin, etc. is based on truth, but the book is probably closer to a caricature.
If it wasn't for the dearth of insight over the years, this book wouldn't matter. But Habs media offer zilch, zip, nada in the way of insight, or any "peeks" behind the veil. So the demand for this info is outsized and magnified.

Good on Brunet and Gervais, I hope to see more of this.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm sure Gervais is telling a version of the truth, but let's be fair – Pacioretty had a leadership role with the Habs and Vegas. It's a stretch to believe he was as disliked and nasty as Gervais paints him to be.
Yeah, it’s important to remember that Gervais may be a jackass himself. It’s his perception of how things were, not necessarily the reality.

But the friction within the dressing room isn’t surprising. And that’s where a good coach comes in. Robinson would’ve been perfect. Instead we got a guy who made things worse.

Reactions: Redux91

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
Yeah, it’s important to remember that Gervais may be a jackass himself. It’s his perception of how things were, not necessarily the reality.

But the friction within the dressing room isn’t surprising. And that’s where a good coach comes in. Robinson would’ve been perfect. Instead we got a guy who made things worse.
Francois Gagnon pretty much said he didn’t learn anything new from the book. It’s a confirmation from the inside of the room about stuff everyone (around the team )knew.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Francois Gagnon pretty much said he didn’t learn anything new from the book. It’s a confirmation from the inside of the room about stuff everyone (around the team )knew.
I wonder why Francois, who was so dead-set on trashing the Habs and airing laundry in the 2011-2012 season (in defence of his recently fired buddy Jacques Martin) didn't do his job and reveal any of these things himself? Was he saving it for a book?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Some of that stuff was evident from my seat behind my computer watching the team media scrums and how they played on the ice.

Reactions: First Line

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Actually, no. Apparently, Brunet did question Gervais’ version (as confirmed by Gervais himself) during this process. Unless Gervais was lying yesterday.

But toooooo chicken to come out with it. RIP, Ghislain Luneau, you are sorely missed. When beat reporters were real reporters, not mouthpieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad