TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Tony’s podcast is riddled with awful ads and he doesn’t offer much insight or interest.

Much like dumb ol Dale Weise, once they run out of friends to call they reveal themselves to be dumb ol nobodies.

At least with a radio station you have the support of producers, beat reporters, etc.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
His podcast averages under 7k views per episode (and half of them are probably from his own beer and underwear sponsors) - There is no way you can claim '9 million viewers' 🤣

Anyways good luck to him and ya 690 is in desperate need of talent.
Too many mediocre guys there right now that I'm not sure why they even decided to go into radio as they don't have the voice, the energy, the conversational skills or even interesting takes.
I wonder how many listeners there are for 690 per show. I doubt it’s much more than that.

By being on French radio, Tony will give his brand more visibility.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
His podcast averages under 7k views per episode (and half of them are probably from his own beer and underwear sponsors) - There is no way you can claim '9 million viewers' 🤣

Anyways good luck to him and ya 690 is in desperate need of talent.
Too many mediocre guys there right now that I'm not sure why they even decided to go into radio as they don't have the voice, the energy, the conversational skills or even interesting takes.
The crowd size Tony claims listen to his podcast vs the crowd size who have ever listened to his podcast...

1654084233287.png

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Pls don’t ever compare Tevan to Tony - Ted Tevan’s detailed historical knowledge of baseball, hockey, horse racing and boxing was second to none.

Re: Casavant & Price
There’s a method to the madness, there’s no market for English all sports radio in Mtl, and Bell recognizes this - unless the salaries / expenditures are kept very low, meaning only minimum wage earners with one Yoda type to lean on (Melnick).
I'm not comparing him directly to Ted but Tony was entertaining relative to what is on today. People in here criticized Tony like they did Pierre McGuire on Melnyk, yet Melnyk's show had the highest amount of listeners during McGuire's time slot. I'm not sure of Tony's ratings but he made for an entertaining listen.

Reactions: jackeymoon

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm not comparing him directly to Ted but Tony was entertaining relative to what is on today. People in here criticized Tony like they did Pierre McGuire on Melnyk, yet Melnyk's show had the highest amount of listeners during McGuire's time slot. I'm not sure of Tony's ratings but he made for an entertaining listen.
Tevan, McGuire et al are articulate and possess a level & depth of vocabulary Tony only wishes he could ever attain.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Tony’s podcast is riddled with awful ads and he doesn’t offer much insight or interest.

Much like dumb ol Dale Weise, once they run out of friends to call they reveal themselves to be dumb ol nobodies.

At least with a radio station you have the support of producers, beat reporters, etc.

If Weise isn't on a Habs Tonight episode, I don't listen.

RBZ

Jun 24, 2013
In watching Tony’s podcast for the first time last night. The one where is explains but not really explains why he left. He is making it out to be bigger than when Wayne Gretzky got traded to the kings.

I think he is very delusional on his self worth in in the media. There is no way he has reached 9 million homes. If that were the case, people would be talking about him outside of LaSalle or RDP.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
In watching Tony’s podcast for the first time last night. The one where is explains but not really explains why he left. He is making it out to be bigger than when Wayne Gretzky got traded to the kings.

I think he is very delusional on a self worth in in the media. There is no way he has reached 9 million homes. If that were the case, people would be talking about him outside of LaSalle or RDP.
his underwear is too tight.. all the free pairs he got

not what a real radio perosn should focus on

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Steph Gonzalez leaving 91.9 Sports. Rumor is he will join La Poche Bleue with Lapierre & Latendresse. Would it be to join them or maybe have his own show? Not sure.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Tevan, McGuire et al are articulate and possess a level & depth of vocabulary Tony only wishes he could ever attain.
Again, I'm not saying Tony is at their level but whether you liked him or not he was entertaining for a small station. Same way I listened to Morency back in the day on Team990, he was highly entertaining and would just spout random bets. Now he does appearances on Pat McFee's show on SXM. I listen to less TSN690 now anyway, SXM has awesome shows on their Fantasy Station.

Reactions: Redux91

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
In the minority, but I enjoyed Marinaro of all the guys on TSN, I didn't always agree but at least he brought some entertainment value (in my opinion).
Exactly. The vitriol on here about Tony is mind boggling, same with the hate for McGuire. Melnyck has lost so many good contributors; McGuire, Ferraro, Bob McCown, etc...

Reactions: Garry Valk

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
another thing. why does a sports station keep playing music?? to fill space??

wish there was a contact email to send in

Seriously... 10 minutes of ads, then a song, then 5-10 minutes of some dunce like McKenna and whoever blabbing about food, maybe some basic sports talk. Then and informercial from the host about his pet sponsor.

Reactions: jackeymoon

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
You guys should do what I do. Listen to 91.9 up until Réjean Tremblay comes on and blabs about boxing, at which point switch to TSN 690. If the conversation on TSN 690 is not relevant and/or boring listen to music on 92.5

So basically switch between 91.9 and 92.5

Reactions: Adam Michaels

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Exactly. The vitriol on here about Tony is mind boggling, same with the hate for McGuire. Melnyck has lost so many good contributors; McGuire, Ferraro, Bob McCown, etc...
I was a pretty loyal listener to Tony's show for the past 7 or 8 years and listened to him every chance I got and quite enjoyed listening to him for the most part.

But my recent issue with Tony and why I pretty much stopped listening to him is that in the past 3 or 4 months he started calling texters and other listeners, who heavily criticized him, things like idiots, stupid, and would tell them to go to hell and to leave him alone. Even if he did feel that way doing that on air just didn't sit well with me and I felt it was completely uncalled for and it shouldn't be tolerated by the station.

As for him leaving 690 I was surprised but after thinking about it, when he would have one of these episodes of calling out listeners on air recently, he would say in a frustrated kind of way that he was really thinking of giving it all up but I didn't figure he was being serious. I guess though since he did indeed give it all up not long after saying this a few times recently he was being 100% serious.

I wish him well with his podcast and for anything else he's gonna do going forward but I won't be a regular listener of his podcast like I was for his show on 690 over the past few years.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
1250 tsn Toronto
is good to listen to now that the figs are out.

Tony will never have good guests, he is hack

I was a pretty loyal listener to Tony's show for the past 7 or 8 years and listened to him every chance I got and quite enjoyed listening to him for the most part.

But my recent issue with Tony and why I pretty much stopped listening to him is that in the past 3 or 4 months he started calling texters and other listeners, who heavily criticized him, things like idiots, stupid, and would tell them to go to hell and to leave him alone. Even if he did feel that way doing that on air just didn't sit well with me and I felt it was completely uncalled for and it shouldn't be tolerated by the station.

As for him leaving 690 I was surprised but after thinking about it, when he would have one of these episodes of calling out listeners on air recently, he would say in a frustrated kind of way that he was really thinking of giving it all up but I didn't figure he was being serious. I guess though since he did indeed give it all up not long after saying this a few times recently he was being 100% serious.

I wish him well with his podcast and for anything else he's gonna do going forward but I won't be a regular listener of his podcast like I was for his show on 690 over the past few years.
i agree...

calling listeners idiots I feel ended his run on 690

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You guys should do what I do. Listen to 91.9 up until Réjean Tremblay comes on and blabs about boxing, at which point switch to TSN 690. If the conversation on TSN 690 is not relevant and/or boring listen to music on 92.5

So basically switch between 91.9 and 92.5
Should listen to WFAN in NY… real sports radio, and the founding father of all sports radio in the world.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I think he is very delusional on his self worth in in the media. There is no way he has reached 9 million homes. If that were the case, people would be talking about him outside of LaSalle or RDP.
Episode with Cowan, where he starts to breakdown. Yeah I turned that podcast off half way through

Should listen to WFAN in NY… real sports radio, and the founding father of all sports radio in the world.
I listen to it most every night. They certainly high on Rangers.

Reactions: salbutera

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I used to listen to it on AM radio at night as a kid from my room right from the very beginning of its inception. In fact, I used to listen to the same station when it was WNBC 660. Bob Costas had a great Sunday evening show called "Costas Coast to Coast".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad