TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
You know they are running on fumes staff-wise when Dan Robertson is hosting a show, but Dan is actually quite good and pleasant to listen to. He is obviously just a short term replacement (and if there is any justice, he should be moving to TV soon to do play-by-play) but I'll enjoy him while he's around.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I had no idea Tony had a podcast. There's all this talk about the program director not liking Tony's podcast and sponsorships and I'm like 'Whaaat?'. It was the most low key podcast ever. I even knew about Mitch and Shaun's Postgame Pints (or whatever it's called) but Tony's was new to me.

Reactions: KKWG11

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Will be nothing other than Tony crying and pausing to try and catch his thoughts

That's more than fine. He's worked there for 20 years.

You know they are running on fumes staff-wise when Dan Robertson is hosting a show, but Dan is actually quite good and pleasant to listen to. He is obviously just a short term replacement (and if there is any justice, he should be moving to TV soon to do play-by-play) but I'll enjoy him while he's around.

Dan Robertson actually has the perfect voice for radio. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's not there for much longer either. I think he'll be doing Habs regional games on TV for TSN before long.

Which will open up another gig Campbell can do for the station.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Also, I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I had no idea Tony had a podcast. There's all this talk about the program director not liking Tony's podcast and sponsorships and I'm like 'Whaaat?'. It was the most low key podcast ever. I even knew about Mitch and Shaun's Postgame Pints (or whatever it's called) but Tony's was new to me.

Yeah, I've heard of his podcast. He usually has some other media figure on the show with him, or Mike Ribeiro.

He was already choked up on yesterday's podcast but he wasn't saying what was going on. I'm just relieved it isn't some health scare.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah, I've heard of his podcast. He usually has some other media figure on the show with him, or Mike Ribeiro.

He was already choked up on yesterday's podcast but he wasn't saying what was going on. I'm just relieved it isn't some health scare.

I like his podcast. I like Tony even though there are times he's unbearable.

Also good to know it's not a health issue.

Nilan said he was happy that Tony stuck to his guns. So there is a possibility the station didn't want him doing the podcast.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

GO get MIke Johnson

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So Tony resigned so he can focus on the podcast. He said that they're 4th among sports podcasts in Canada. And he also said that the podcast has reach 9-million homes. So he wants to focus all his time on it to take it even higher.

Reactions: Redux91 and Tyson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
690 will crash, they have no real talent

Tony must have got forced out, came out of nowhere
Tony was probably told he won’t be Melnick’s heir apparent as the head of radio programming & the station is on its last legs before Bell shuts it down.

There’s simply very little demand for English sports radio in Mtl - it sucks but that’s reality

Tony’s podcast audience reaches beyond the Quebec border$….

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
So Tony resigned so he can focus on the podcast. He said that they're 4th among sports podcasts in Canada. And he also said that the podcast has reach 9-million homes. So he wants to focus all his time on it to take it even higher.
9 million homes? That's hilarious! There are only 14 million households in Canada. Even if it was 9 million people, that's 1/4 of the population of Canada. There would be nowhere even close to 9 million people on the planet who know who Tony is let alone have listened to his podcast. Hell...I've read today where posters in here didn't know he had a podcast.

He's one insecure human.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
9 million homes? That's hilarious! There are only 14 million households in Canada. Even if it was 9 million people, that's 1/4 of the population of Canada. There would be nowhere even close to 9 million people on the planet who know who Tony is let alone have listened to his podcast. Hell...I've read today where posters in here didn't know he had a podcast.

He's one insecure human.

They are on podcast platforms and on YT. That isn't limited to Canada only.

Also with the fact you can listen to the radio online, a lot of listeners of TSN690 are from outside the country.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
They are on podcast platforms and on YT. That isn't limited to Canada only.

Also with the fact you can listen to the radio online, a lot of listeners of TSN690 are from outside the country.
I get all that. I don't live in Quebec and I listen to 690 but I invest way more time and energy into the Habs than a normal person would. Habs have a huge worldwide following but still most Habs fans outside of Quebec wouldn't know who Tony is.

9 million sounds like an absurd exaggeration when a good portion of posters on this board haven't even listened to it. It sounds like something Trump would say. :D

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I get all that. I don't live in Quebec and I listen to 690 but I invest way more time and energy into the Habs than a normal person would. Habs have a huge worldwide following but still most Habs fans outside of Quebec wouldn't know who Tony is.

9 million sounds like an absurd exaggeration when a good portion of posters on this board haven't even listened to it. It sounds like something Trump would say. :D
The question to be asked is what is the population of former Mtler who moved out during last 45-years who listen?

Also it’s a podcast how many people to listen to it multiple times?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The question to be asked is what is the population of former Mtler who moved out during last 45-years who listen?

It might also not be 9-million different homes. Let's say for example, there are 2 or 3 people in the same household who listen to the podcast. So the father watches it on Monday. The son might end up watching it on his own laptop the next day and so on and so forth.

I will watch the podcast at home. Sometimes, when I'm at work, I'll watch it there when I'm on break. And sometimes I will listen to it with my ear buds through my phone. So it might be only me, but I listened to it in different places in different ways. So they might count that as 3 "homes."

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Also it’s a podcast how many people to listen to it multiple times?
If he's counting every single hit from each show on its many platforms, that would make sense. But 9 million homes? No way.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If he's counting every single hit from each show on its many platforms, that would make sense. But 9 million homes? No way.

I think he was using more radio terms in terms of "homes."

Maybe he wanted to say views. Because each episode could have anywhere between 5K to over 9K views the last few months. He had an episode with LeBrun that has 15K views. The video he posted less than an hour ago already has 2K views.

I don't know how YouTube and other podcast providers calculate this. It's a lot more detailed. The number of subscribers plays a role, as well. I'm subscribed on YT and on my podcast provider I use. So I surely count as 2 subscirbers.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

He's one insecure human.
He'll disappear into the night he's useless

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

So Nilan says there were some personal issues that lead to him leaving the station and that he's happy Tony stood his ground. Well, now I'm even more intrigued on what happened.

I just thought Tony's podcast is growing and he wanted to focus on that while still doing radio hits instead of hosting his own show.

This clown. Is he vaccinated yet lol??

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I'd you taught his English was laughable, imagine listening to Tony speaking French for 3 hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad