TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Did anyone call out Flynn…?
Didn't listen live, but was able to get it from a website who still had it up.

Flynn said: Where he will be going is what's left to see.

The host responded: He's going to Detroit with his dad Dan.

In a tone that was unequivocal as to show it was well known by the show. And proceeded to hastily conclude Flynn's segment by thanking him and moving on.

Quite the recover, not insulting to Flynn nor putting emphasis on his cluelessness, but I thought it was still firm and done in a corrective manner for our benefit.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Normand Flynn with a beauty to start the year. During his segment with Gonzalez and Laraque.

He was saying that in his opinion, Petry won't start the season with the Habs and he, along with many other pundits, feel like he'll be traded before camp. And that he is curious how Hughes will handle the situation. 🤣
Normand and Gaston made L'Antichambre the highly successful comedy show that it was.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Was looking for something to listen to while I cleaned.

Went to tsn - listen - radio - tsn 690.

I get it's the off season and there's not much to talk about, but when you bring on a fringe writer and the title is "thinks the Habs will move a goalie" you know you're terrible.

Might be some interesting tidbits, but with a title like that and it's dated August 23rd, you know you're bad.

Bell should honestly just cancel TSN 690, or scrap everyone who is an on air personality and try again There's barely anything intelligible shared over the air waves. The best segments are Dreger giving rumours some credence.

Just get random Montrealers to show up. There's a chance you might get someone who isn't a complete clown

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
what happened to the other guy doing the habs pxp, whose name I don't remember mainly because I've not listened to a single radio broadcast of habs games on C&G690 since Dan left?

I didn’t see anything formal from Ruttgaizer but his website lists PbP with the Habs for last season only (as opposed to 2022-Current): OnePage 2 - Peter Ruttgaizer

I didn't mind Ruttgaizer, but he was pretty vanilla. No idea about this new guy. I miss Dan.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
I didn’t see anything formal from Ruttgaizer but his website lists PbP with the Habs for last season only (as opposed to 2022-Current): OnePage 2 - Peter Ruttgaizer

I didn't mind Ruttgaizer, but he was pretty vanilla. No idea about this new guy. I miss Dan.
I remember people saying the same, but never tuned-in to the broadcast. I was pissed about losing Dan and consider the loss just another nail in 690's coffin.

Reactions: sandviper

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
does anyone know why Sergio Momesso is no longer doing colour on 690 for the habs ? every time I think this station can't get any shittier or less competent they continue to surprise me by bleeding whatever talent is left there. this sucks.

Normand and Gaston made L'Antichambre the highly successful comedy show that it was.
comedy being the key word

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
The thing I didn’t like about Dan and Sergio is that they would have a conversation while the game was on, it’s ok to do that if it’s in tv and we can see what’s happening But not radio. The best color guys stay quiet until there is a whistle.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Victor Findlay, the new english radio voice of the Habs, will be on with Melnick in a few minutes.

Edit: was odd because Melnick had Mike Johnson on at the same time so Findlay didn't get to say too much. He's young (~27), from Oshawa. He has called some NHL games including a couple of Habs games last season. Sounds like he worked with Johnson a few times. He has the voice. The colour guy will be John Goyens or J.P. O'Connor.

Last edited:

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
The sheer freaking hubris and inflated egos of Conor and Sean Star on the morning show as they become progressively more insular and self-obsessed have rendered their program functionally impossible to listen to.

And they seem to be taking cues from Melnick regarding wasting time (fifteen minutes of music, ten minutes of drivel, five minutes of news, in his case).

Just this morning they meandered around discussing the "Florida repot" (Why is that even a segment? Because Mckenna obsesses over American politics with DeSantis, I presume?), and started waxing on about how articles that appeared in various sports publications are clearly taking up their talking points and addressing the issues that they cover as trendsetters. Even as ironic commentary, it's insufferable.

Then they wasted time discussing Melnick and how his name is attached to the afternoon show, while they are just "the morning show."

For god's sake, you just had the first preseason game and you find it necessary to pump out this bilge water to fill time?

And I actually think that theirs is the best show on TSN 690 at this point.

Are Galllo and Campbell still a thing on 690? Asking for a friend who wants their Habs fix addressed and whose first language is english. Cause Gallo and Campbell talking Habs is like having your dose cut with fentanyl. (sorry for the very British Columbia reference)
They are. We have about four hours of them after the morning show concludes.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The sheer freaking hubris and inflated egos of Conor and Sean Star on the morning show as they become progressively more insular and self-obsessed has rendered their program functionally impossible to listen to.

And they seem to be taking cues from Melnick regarding wasting time (fifteen minutes of music, ten minutes of drivel, five minutes of news, in his case).

Just this morning they meandered around discussing the "Florida repot" (Why is that even a segment? Because Mckenna obsesses over American politics with DeSantis, I presume?), and started waxing on about how articles that appeared in various sports publications are clearly taking up their talking points and addressing the issues that they cover as trendsetters. Even as ironic commentary, it's insufferable.

Then they wasted time discussing Melnick and how his name is attached to the afternoon show, while they are just "the morning show."

For god's sake, you just had the first preseason game and you find it necessary to pump out this bilge water to fill time?

And I actually think that theirs is the best show on TSN 690 at this point.

They are. We have about four hours of them after the morning show concludes.
Bruh, if your first language is French then you've destroyed me in two languages.

But also, agreed. Whenever I go into Ottawa, it's about an hour drive for me, so I could stream tsn 690, but I'd rather just listen to the team 1200.

I've said it probably 100 times, but tsn 690 is such trash and they need to fire people

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Only one game in but I thought Victor Findlay did a good job on play-by-play last night. Seems like a good addition to the crew. Don't understand what happened to Sergio, though I also like JP O'Connor and John Goyens is knowledgeable though I know less about him.

I still don't understand why, in a city that is debatably the world's capital of hockey, they can't find an ex-NHL'er who wants to get into the media industry and who could fit in their budget in exchange for bit of experience in hope of eventually getting a TV gig. Apart from Aaron Ward, who is only a regular guest, they seem to be getting rid of NHL players, rather than accumulating them.

Today with John Still gone, they again had in Melnick's pal Terry Haig who can barely get through a sports update without stumbling over words. I don't think there is a radio show that is more self-indulgent than Melnick in the Afternoon. Though there is still lots to like about it (mainly due to guests), I dread the thought of how much we're going to be forced to hear about his Billy Bob music gala for the next couple of months. Not to mention the fixation with Dan Bern (less is more). I'm a long time listener but reaching the breaking point and listening less. Prefer the Morning Show at this point.

Reactions: Chili

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Only one game in but I thought Victor Findlay did a good job on play-by-play last night. Seems like a good addition to the crew. Don't understand what happened to Sergio, though I also like JP O'Connor and John Goyens is knowledgeable though I know less about him.

I still don't understand why, in a city that is debatably the world's capital of hockey, they can't find an ex-NHL'er who wants to get into the media industry and who could fit in their budget in exchange for bit of experience in hope of eventually getting a TV gig. Apart from Aaron Ward, who is only a regular guest, they seem to be getting rid of NHL players, rather than accumulating them.

Today with John Still gone, they again had in Melnick's pal Terry Haig who can barely get through a sports update without stumbling over words. I don't think there is a radio show that is more self-indulgent than Melnick in the Afternoon. Though there is still lots to like about it (mainly due to guests), I dread the thought of how much we're going to be forced to hear about his Billy Bob music gala for the next couple of months. Not to mention the fixation with Dan Bern (less is more). I'm a long time listener but reaching the breaking point and listening less. Prefer the Morning Show at this point.

I think you answered it… budget. TSN 690 seems very cheap and tight on the wallet. I get this impression based off the quality of their hosts. I guess it doesn’t help when hockey, specifically the Habs are the only game in town. At least in Toronto, we have NBA and MLB.

I also think the execs at 690 push for more trash and entertainment than sports. I’m not a Marinaro fan, but his podcasts are a lot better than the garbage he used to do on 690. Don’t get me wrong, his sex jokes and talking over guests is still an issue but he sticks on topic a lot better now. Nilan is also much better than before when he was on 690.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another riveting show this morning on BPM as Paul Houde and Gilbert Delorme reminisced about the golden years of journalism in Montreal and recounted several juicy anecdotes about some truly eccentric characters like Guy “le cerf volant » Émond.

One story was about Émond in the press box at the old Boston Gardens, which was situated just above centre ice. At one point, Émond was about to fall out of the box and would have been in a free fall were it not for a colleague who grabbed him at the very last moment while his body was suspended outside the box. One of many stories that featured Émond, one of the nuttiest characters in Quebec sports journalism.

So many stories about old time players who left no one indifferent, how Expos reliever Mike Marshall was an asshole and the wild stunts of Bill Lee.

I find Delorme has much better chemistry with Houde than he did last year when he was the go-to guy in a morning show with Ben Roger. Delorme does not have the gravitas to be a lead host as he often lives off one liners and short, general commentary which is disappointing for a guy who has seen so much as a player and media personality. Houde is able to get Delorme to speak out more and to share his experiences while sounding enthusiastic.

Houde is the stats nerd and media and sports historian who has a knack for detail, does voice imitations and is a master of storytelling. He’s as Montreal through and through as you’re going to get, as he has something to say just about anything that happened in the city since the 70s, whether it’s an obscure item from the news of the day or a behind the scenes story that he witnessed.

In Paul Houde, you’re getting as wide a net as is cast by his brother Pierre on Habs’ broadcasts minus Pierre’s PxP and Formula 1 expertise. If you’re looking for a sports fix with a rich tapestry of storytelling and observations that define and highlight the city’s passions, heartbreaks and high points over several decades, this is the show that delivers them.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Another riveting show this morning on BPM as Paul Houde and Gilbert Delorme reminisced about the golden years of journalism in Montreal and recounted several juicy anecdotes about some truly eccentric characters like Guy “le cerf volant » Émond.

One story was about Émond in the press box at the old Boston Gardens, which was situated just above centre ice. At one point, Émond was about to fall out of the box and would have been in a free fall were it not for a colleague who grabbed him at the very last moment while his body was suspended outside the box. One of many stories that featured Émond, one of the nuttiest characters in Quebec sports journalism.

So many stories about old time players who left no one indifferent, how Expos reliever Mike Marshall was an asshole and the wild stunts of Bill Lee.

I find Delorme has much better chemistry with Houde than he did last year when he was the go-to guy in a morning show with Ben Roger. Delorme does not have the gravitas to be a lead host as he often lives off one liners and short, general commentary which is disappointing for a guy who has seen so much as a player and media personality. Houde is able to get Delorme to speak out more and to share his experiences while sounding enthusiastic.

Houde is the stats nerd and media and sports historian who has a knack for detail, does voice imitations and is a master of storytelling. He’s as Montreal through and through as you’re going to get, as he has something to say just about anything that happened in the city since the 70s, whether it’s an obscure item from the news of the day or a behind the scenes story that he witnessed.

In Paul Houde, you’re getting as wide a net as is cast by his brother Pierre on Habs’ broadcasts minus Pierre’s PxP and Formula 1 expertise. If you’re looking for a sports fix with a rich tapestry of storytelling and observations that define and highlight the city’s passions, heartbreaks and high points over several decades, this is the show that delivers them.
I'll never criticize Delorme as him and his wife are adopting and taking care of children with mental and physical disabilities. He's got a free pass with me.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad