Speculation: Trouba's No Trade List

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Surely he would want to be traded to NJ, NYI, Wash or Philly so they wouldn’t really have to move and his wife gets to finish out her residency?

I guess, but even before looking at need, none of those teams have the cap space to pull a trade off. Part of the reason the Rangers want to make that trade is because they need/want cap space to sign Lindgren and Schneider.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
He's well within his rights to make full use of his NTC. Both sides agreed to that contract. Trying to strong arm his way out of getting traded to teams on his list or being waived though? That's on him. If he doesn't want to play for whatever team gets him he can kiss the 8m per goodbye. Should have negotiated a full NMC.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He put in a list like all players with a 15 team list do. To pretty much control where he goes. There’s very few exceptions. If he’s traded, it’s gonna be very hard for them to trade him without his approval. You can design 15 team lists this way, when your client makes $8 million AAV. Every player does it this way. Even easier for a RHD.

They put teams on it that have cap space, have openings (in his case as a Top 4 RHD), etc. Then leave teams off who can never take on his AAV.

So for example, Detroit, Philly and the Isles are likely on his NTC list. Even though you’d think the Isles probably aren’t.

At the end, the agent will set it up where it’s easy to trade him to Winnipeg a for example, because KC isn’t gonna play this whole game. To teams you know would never have interest.

In his case he does have to be careful though, because if a team like LA isn’t on his list, he could randomly find himself there.

At the end of the day, he likely gets traded to someone on his list. Still likely Detroit. He’s just gonna have a say. For example, Detroit gets on the phone with him and tells him they’ll excuse him from certain practices, etc, so he can be in NY with his wife. We’ve seen things like this before when a players about to have a kid. He’ll just have to do it for the entire year.

It’ll be something like that.

One note btw, there was NEVER a trade this past weekend. At least NOT with Detroit. That was completely made up from someone in the Rangers FO, fed to Brooks. So Detroit for example, might not be on his list. In fact, it’s still likely they would be his preferred destination.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Somebody tell me the flaw in this :

- Trouba and NYR mutually agree to terminate the contract. This is allowed under NHL CBA rules as far as I know, but players never want to do it because they're agreeing to no longer get paid the money they are owed.

- For reference, if we look at actual salary / money and not cap hit, Trouba was due to make $6 million this season and $6 million next season

- Trouba and NYR sign a new contract that is for 2 years and $5 million dollars per season (therefore also $5.0m cap hit). Trouba is losing $2 million here in actual money.

- NYR trade Trouba ($5m cap hit) to the Islanders with 30% retention (NYR pay $1.5m cap hit and Islanders pay $3.5m cap hit) in exchange for Scott Mayfield (6 years at $3.5m cap hit). NYR also send the Islanders a 2nd round pick and either a prospect or another pick.

- NYR open up $3.0m in cap space by trading Trouba (and picks/prospects) out for Mayfield and a 2 year long $1.5m salary retention. Islanders do not add or lose cap space, but they downgrade 6 years of Mayfield for 2 years of Trouba. They are compensated a 2nd round pick and a prospect/pick for doing so. Trouba and his family stay in the NYC area for the next two seasons, which is what's important to them, but at the cost of Trouba losing $1m in salary each season (total loss $2 million).

Reactions: robertocarlos

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Somebody tell me the flaw in this :

- Trouba and NYR mutually agree to terminate the contract. This is allowed under NHL CBA rules as far as I know, but players never want to do it because they're agreeing to no longer get paid the money they are owed.

- For reference, if we look at actual salary / money and not cap hit, Trouba was due to make $6 million this season and $6 million next season

- Trouba and NYR sign a new contract that is for 2 years and $5 million dollars per season (therefore also $5.0m cap hit). Trouba is losing $2 million here in actual money.

- NYR trade Trouba ($5m cap hit) to the Islanders with 30% retention (NYR pay $1.5m cap hit and Islanders pay $3.5m cap hit) in exchange for Scott Mayfield (6 years at $3.5m cap hit). NYR also send the Islanders a 2nd round pick and either a prospect or another pick.

- NYR open up $3.0m in cap space by trading Trouba (and picks/prospects) out for Mayfield and a 2 year long $1.5m salary retention. Islanders do not add or lose cap space, but they downgrade 6 years of Mayfield for 2 years of Trouba. They are compensated a 2nd round pick and a prospect/pick for doing so. Trouba and his family stay in the NYC area for the next two seasons, which is what's important to them, but at the cost of Trouba losing $1m in salary each season (total loss $2 million).

There's zero chance the NHL would allow this. Under your scenario, what's stopping the Rangers and Trouba from mutually terminating the contract and the Rangers just signing him to a 2 year, $12M contract? Trouba gets paid the same amount and his cap hit drops from $8M to $6M per season in that scenario.

If there's not already something officially on the books preventing a player/team from mutually terminating their contract and then being resigned by the same team at a reduced rate, the NHL would surely step in to prevent that signing as it's clear cap manipulation.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
There's zero chance the NHL would allow this. Under your scenario, what's stopping the Rangers and Trouba from mutually terminating the contract and the Rangers just signing him to a 2 year, $12M contract? Trouba gets paid the same amount and his cap hit drops from $8M to $6M per season in that scenario.

If there's not already something officially on the books preventing a player/team from mutually terminating their contract and then being resigned by the same team at a reduced rate, the NHL would surely step in to prevent that signing as it's clear cap manipulation.
Damn.

I was about to say "okay then NYR trade 2nd and pick/prospect for Mayfield and terminate Trouba, and then NYI sign Trouba for $3.5m per year for 2 years"...
...but then Trouba is losing $2.5 million in take-home salary per year instead of $1 million per year. He isn't going to agree to that. If he demands more, it means that the Islanders are adding cap when they swap out Mayfield for Trouba. I don't think they're going to want to do that. Will be hard enough to convince them to trade out Mayfield for Trouba + 2nd + pick, let alone add cap.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Do posters know that his wife is a doctor in residence in NYC and this is dictating where he is willing to go? It sounds like if he is waived and claimed he will not report forgoing any payment outstanding

That's not exactly dictating where he is willing to go, so much as the reason why he is (allegedly) making it as difficult as possible for the Rangers to move him this offseason by leveraging his NTC. Sounds like he'd be more open to being traded somewhere once his wife's residency is completed in a year.

I also don't think there is any sound evidence that he actually wouldn't report to a team if claimed on waivers and thus be willing to forfeit the remaining $12M on his contract. It wouldn't surprise me if his agent was getting the word out that Trouba doesn't want to leave NYC this upcoming season for obvious reasons and maybe trying to poison the well a bit in the best interest of his client. At the very least, that may give teams some pause about bringing in a potentially disgruntled 3rd pairing defenseman with an $8M cap hit and the impact he may have on a young team. Though I also don't think many (any?) teams would be interested in taking on that contract in the first place.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That's not exactly dictating where he is willing to go, so much as the reason why he is (allegedly) making it as difficult as possible for the Rangers to move him this offseason by leveraging his NTC. Sounds like he'd be more open to being traded somewhere once his wife's residency is completed in a year.

I also don't think there is any sound evidence that he actually wouldn't report to a team if claimed on waivers and thus be willing to forfeit the remaining $12M on his contract. It wouldn't surprise me if his agent was getting the word out that Trouba doesn't want to leave NYC this upcoming season for obvious reasons and maybe trying to poison the well a bit in the best interest of his client. At the very least, that may give teams some pause about bringing in a potentially disgruntled 3rd pairing defenseman with an $8M cap hit and the impact he may have on a young team. Though I also don't think many (any?) teams would be interested in taking on that contract in the first place.
bolded part is correct

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
What about Philadelphia (a train ride away from NYC)? Trouba could rent a cheap apartment in Philly (or keep renting hotel rooms when needed) but try to spend as much time as possible in NYC with his family. This is only needed from September to April, or possibly May if PHI makes the playoffs. It's only for 8 months (possibly 9 months). After that, Trouba's family could move to Philly, as I've read that they are able to move starting in July 2025.

to Philadelphia Flyers
Trouba (18.75% retained) (2y @ $6.5m)
3rd round pick
TOTAL CAP = $6.5m
CAP CHANGE = add $1.4m in cap space

to New York Rangers
Rasmus Ristolainen (3y @ $5.1m)
( retain $1.5m on Trouba for 2 years )
TOTAL CAP = $6.6m
CAP CHANGE = open $1.4m in cap space

NEW YORK RANGERS - They get to resolve the Trouba situation and swap him for another 3rd pair veteran RHD, and open up $1.4m in cap space per year for 2 years. Unfortunately, it costs them a 3rd round pick, and they have Ristolainen for the 26/27 season at $5.1m cap hit instead of having nobody, because Trouba expires in 2026.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS - They get a 3rd round pick, and they get to walk away from their overpaid 3rd pairing veteran RHD in 2026 instead of 2027. Unfortunately, they add $1.4m in cap for the next 2 seasons. Trouba is also POSSIBLY worse than Ristolainen at playing ice hockey these days, but I suppose that's debatable.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Do posters know that his wife is a doctor in residence in NYC and this is dictating where he is willing to go? It sounds like if he is waived and claimed he will not report forgoing any payment outstanding
As an Islanders fan I don’t care personally. Her career isn’t his and the teams local to him have no use for him as an $8m 3rd pairing defender whose best skillset is trying to cause concussions. He’s not the first NHL player married to someone in the medical field.
You want the Islanders to take on his contract? Eat 50% then have another team eat another 50% of that. Team B gets Mayfield (plus Oliver Wahlstrom) and the Rangers get JGP at full cap hit and $4m worth of Trouba for 2 seasons.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You can pretty much guarantee all 8 Canadian teams are on there
If he's smart, which is isn't, he wouldn't put the ones that are close to the cap, like Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver I'm assuming those are all close to the cap.

The Rangers don't want to take salary back and don't want to retain, so teams with space should be where he's blocking.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If he's smart, which is isn't, he wouldn't put the ones that are close to the cap, like Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver I'm assuming those are all close to the cap.

The Rangers don't want to take salary back and don't want to retain, so teams with space should be where he's blocking.
Toronto - in theory - could be interested in a 3 way trade where they send Liljegren, Kampf and Jarnkrok out, and they get Trouba back at around $6 million. The third team retains, not NYR. Toronto may add a pick/prospect or whatever is fair value to get it done. Abruzzese, Steeves or very cheap UFA forwards can replace Kampf and Jarnkrok on the Toronto roster.

I'm not saying this is likely at all, but it's within the realm of possibility. NYR if they got really desperate could even say to Toronto "don't worry, we'll send the pick instead of you having to, because we just really want to make sure that Trouba is traded out of here". Low odds, obviously, but Trouba would be taking a risk that an unlikely thing like this doesn't somehow come to fruition.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
judging by a few posts here--players are viewed as pieces of meat
Yeah and if you're a desirable team/place, you still get players to sign with you. See Vegas.

Teams like Winnipeg have to do the family thing and overpay players to have them stay like with Blake Wheeler and yet will still lose players like PLD and Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad