Speculation: Trouba's No Trade List

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That is perfectly fine.

If he can't play up to his 8m contract and wants to give the Rangers a hard time they can just waive him and send him to Hartford. Drury is under no burden to do Trouba a favor either.

To be honest, this is what many players do with their NTC's - structure them in a way that gives the player the most control over where they can be traded. It's not really a matter of giving the Rangers "a hard time".

What would sending Trouba to Hartford actually accomplish? If I'm not mistaken, that move opens up less than $1M of cap space and you'd still have to replace his spot with another player. While Trouba is certainly not worth his $8M cap hit, the guy still played over 21 minutes a night for the Rangers last year so he is most certainly an NHL player with some value. He's also the captain of the team and apparently well liked in the locker room, so this seems like an awful idea.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
The league (Bettman) have a ton of leeway in interpreting things as cap circumvention and will judge it after the fact. I'd bet that even if that was okayed by the league, the Rangers (and the other team) would get a hefty penalty for that.
The Rangers are rich... they can afford any penalty... besides, they are an original 6 and it's doubtful that anything would happen. Just compare them with what happened to the Hawks vs. the Senators and Coyotes draft pick penalties.

Reactions: kiamde

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Rangers are rich... they can afford any penalty... besides, they are an original 6 and it's doubtful that anything would happen. Just compare them with what happened to the Hawks vs. the Senators and Coyotes draft pick penalties.

The penalty wouldn't just be monetary, it would likely be draft capital. And the other team involved would also be risking getting tagged.

This also specifically pisses off the NHLPA and other teams, including other heavy hitters. If you're cool with losing a 1st then fine, but it seems like a lot of work to avoid just making a trade.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He played Winnipeg dirty, he used every trick he could to get to New York, did not care about Winnipeg, why should teams play soft with him. His agent also plays dirty, so expect teams to play hardball back

Totally agree with you and I have no sympthy for Trouba, but generally it's not wise for teams to trade for players who absolutely don't want to be there, NTC or not. But it's certainly a unique situation, that's for sure.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I hate this argument. It's professional sports and players are separated from their wives and kids all the time. He is making 8 mil a year. Hire a nanny.

Actually its just reality, humans are forced to separate from their wives and kids for work related issues all the time.

Like you said, at the end of the day, it's a business.
Of course it's reality and at the end of the day, fans care more about the team winning and less about the individual who will have to be away from his family. But if you're in Trouba's shoes, you're probably pulling the same move and players notice when an organization hands out contracts and tries to do everything possible to move you even when you don't accept. Of course you can hire a nanny, but it's about being there for your wife who also has strong goals herself. I mean it's obviously a different situation than a wife who supports her husband without the desire to have their own successful career. They're aren't just hiring a nanny and then waiting for the summer to go on an extended vacation and spend time together.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
What? Source?

This sounds sus as hell.

"When Trouba signed this current seven-year, $56M contract in July of 2019 after having been acquired as a pending restricted free agent from Winnipeg, his five-year no-movement clause was designed to expire in conjunction with his wife Kelly Tyson-Trouba’s completion of her three-year residency at a New York hospital. ... But Dr. Tyson-Trouba’s residency was deferred for a year at the start so that the program which she is required to complete will end instead on July 1, 2025.
We are told that has become part of the league-wide conversation, with several teams that otherwise would have been in big-time on Trouba now likely to wait until next year when Dr. Tyson-Trouba’s residency ends with the defenseman having one final season on his contract.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

"When Trouba signed this current seven-year, $56M contract in July of 2019 after having been acquired as a pending restricted free agent from Winnipeg, his five-year no-movement clause was designed to expire in conjunction with his wife Kelly Tyson-Trouba’s completion of her three-year residency at a New York hospital. ... But Dr. Tyson-Trouba’s residency was deferred for a year at the start so that the program which she is required to complete will end instead on July 1, 2025.
We are told that has become part of the league-wide conversation, with several teams that otherwise would have been in big-time on Trouba now likely to wait until next year when Dr. Tyson-Trouba’s residency ends with the defenseman having one final season on his contract.

That doesn't at all back what you wrote.

He designed his contract so that the NMC would switch to a NTC at the same time his wife's residency was supposed to be completed, but COVID apparently screwed that up and caused his wife's residency completion to be pushed back a year. Teams are likely to wait until next offseason, as Trouba would presumably be fine with moving on elsewhere at that point as his wife and child would be able to go with him.

Staple confirmed that he has submitted his 15 team no trade list for this season.

1719950220269.png

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
That is perfectly fine.

If he can't play up to his 8m contract and wants to give the Rangers a hard time they can just waive him and send him to Hartford. Drury is under no burden to do Trouba a favor either.
That might actually be a favor.

Live somewhere in Southern CT and you're both 60-90 minutes from work. Keep a pied d'terre in both cities. It's not a terrible commute and if you like the area, something like 4 of the 10 best hospitals in America are there between NYC and Yale-New Haven.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Please, cry me a river for his wife's residency. That's what the $8 million is for!! Put him on waivers.
Seriously its comical. Figure it out, being a pro athlete aint easy and thats why he makes millions of dollars. Retire at 35 and be a stay at home dad with millions in the bank.

Also have yet to see him take an ounce of responsibility. All I have seen is him use his wife as a scapegoat. Maybe don’t be the worst player on the team (by far) and single handidly lose your team games and you won’t be in this position. Look in the mirror

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Seriously its comical. Figure it out, being a pro athlete aint easy and thats why he makes millions of dollars. Retire at 35 and be a stay at home dad with millions in the bank.

Also have yet to see him take an ounce of responsibility. All I have seen is him use his wife as a scapegoat. Maybe don’t be the worst player on the team (by far) and single handidly lose your team games and you won’t be in this position. Look in the mirror
Here are the facts of the case:

1. Trouba forces his way to NYR because Manhattan is an ideal place for his wife's residency
2. Here's the kicker: After forcing his way to NYR, Trouba and his hard-ass agent, Kurt Overcharge, hold out for a top-dollar AAV and a NMC for the first 5 years of the deal
3. After 5 years of underperforming his egregious contract, Trouba is shocked and unhappy that NYR wishes to move him when the NMC converts to a NTC

I have no sympathy for him at all. Not one iota. Put him on waivers if he won't accept a trade to Detroit or any team place interested in his services (Buffalo? Anaheim?). Trouba hasn't fit well with any of the NYR LD's. He's a decent player who should be making $5 million not $8 million. Some teams should be interested, especially if NYR are willing to retain.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

I'd put myself and my family above the team every time, every single time. Those who don't have never worked in a company before. You are disposable.

If you have leverage, use every single bit of it.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I'd put myself and my family above the team every time, every single time. Those who don't have never worked in a company before. You are disposable.

He could be claimed by San Jose off of waivers. Just how leverage does he actually have?

Drury holds the trump card, not Trouba.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Thats fine, he has the right to do what is within his contract. But don’t throw a hissy fit and say you won’t report if you are traded to a team not on his no trade list.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Here are the facts of the case:

1. Trouba forces his way to NYR because Manhattan is an ideal place for his wife's residency
2. Here's the kicker: After forcing his way to NYR, Trouba and his hard-ass agent, Kurt Overcharge, hold out for a top-dollar AAV and a NMC for the first 5 years of the deal
3. After 5 years of underperforming his egregious contract, Trouba is shocked and unhappy that NYR wishes to move him when the NMC converts to a NTC

I have no sympathy for him at all. Not one iota. Put him on waivers if he won't accept a trade to Detroit or any team place interested in his services (Buffalo? Anaheim?). Trouba hasn't fit well with any of the NYR LD's. He's a decent player who should be making $5 million not $8 million. Some teams should be interested, especially if NYR are willing to retain.
Should’ve taken less money to ensure the whole thing was covered with a NMC if staying in New York was that important. This is the very unfortunate part of the business. But if you aren’t playing up to the contract, you should know this is coming.

Reactions: Voight

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Should’ve taken less money to ensure the whole thing was covered with a NMC if staying in New York was that important. This is the very unfortunate part of the business. But if you aren’t playing up to the contract, you should know this is coming.
Exactly! He could have agreed with the Rangers on money right away and be granted a NMC for the entirety of the contract in return. Instead, his agent made him hold out until late July to force Gorton to meet their demands. Trouba should be angry with Kurt Overcharge, not the Rangers.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

What's there to figure out on Trouba's part?

Nothing he needs to do unless he's waived/claimed or traded to a team that's not on his no trade list.

He could be claimed by San Jose off of waivers. Just how leverage does he actually have?

Drury holds the trump card, not Trouba.

This assumes he'd be claimed if waived, which is far from a sure thing. Drury would have egg on his face if Trouba is waived and clears.

Thats fine, he has the right to do what is within his contract. But don’t throw a hissy fit and say you won’t report if you are traded to a team not on his no trade list.

Where did he actually say this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
This assumes he'd be claimed if waived, which is far from a sure thing. Drury would have egg on his face if Trouba is waived and clears.
Why would Drury have egg on his face? Gorton traded for and signed Trouba, not Drury.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I hate this argument. It's professional sports and players are separated from their wives and kids all the time. He is making 8 mil a year. Hire a nanny.

Actually its just reality, humans are forced to separate from their wives and kids for work related issues all the time.

Like you said, at the end of the day, it's a business.

It's part of business to exercise contractual obligations you negotiate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad