Speculation: Trouba's No Trade List

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He played Winnipeg dirty, he used every trick he could to get to New York, did not care about Winnipeg, why should teams play soft with him. His agent also plays dirty, so expect teams to play hardball back

Still takes two to tango and I'm not so sure there are any other teams out there that would willingly take on Trouba's $8M cap hit without any type of incentive from the Rangers. Seems like the Rangers would have to retain and/or add some incentive to move his contract.

How has Trouba's agent been playing dirty with the Rangers?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
The thing with his wife's job is that she cannot leave NYC for another year, so going anywhere (aside for New Jersey or Long Island) is an issue for Trouba.

This isn't an issue for Trouba, this is an issue for his wife. His wife having one more year left in New York has no impact on Trouba as a hockey player. Players play away from their families all the time, every season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Was honestly very worried he might make his way to Washington since Washington had a ton of cap space, said publicly they wanted to change up the look on their blue line, and NYC is close enough to DC that it wouldn't be completely disruptive on his family life, but the Matt Roy signing removed Washington as a contender (if they ever were one).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This isn't an issue for Trouba, this is an issue for his wife. His wife having one more year left in New York has no impact on Trouba as a hockey player. Players play away from their families all the time, every season.

How is not seeing his wife and child not an issue for Trouba? That would most certainly have an impact on someone.

Yes, players play away from their families every season - though that's generally when a player is dealt at the TDL and the player already has kids in school and does not want to relocate them mid-school year (or if it's a short-term stint somewhere if they're a pending UFA).

This is a rather unique scenario where a player could potentially be gone the entire season and can't bring his family with him because his wife is tied to NYC for next year in order to complete her residency. I don't believe this is something she can just defer or pick up somewhere else.

Going a full season away from your family versus a few months post-TDL is a significant difference, which is why I think how he structures this NTC is so interesting.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
NHL would be all over that and penalize the teams if that were the case. NHLPA would also be pissed.
No it wouldn't. They literally just did it with Goodrow. I don't hear the NHL or the PA complaining about that.

Look, it's a players right to use their NTC, just like it's a team's right to waive a player if they want to.

Reactions: Barry Tallackson

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No it wouldn't. They literally just did it with Goodrow. I don't hear the NHL or the PA complaining about that.

Look, it's a players right to use their NTC, just like it's a team's right to waive a player if they want to.

The issue is the "separate transaction for the team taking on the contract at its full cap hit". That's the cap circumvention. Its only fine if the Rangers waive Trouba and another team claims him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Trouba's NMC remains in effect,
he contractually arranged for it to expire only once wife's residency is completed,
That was anticipated to be 2024 (now) however that won't be til next spring
Not surprised external sites like CF were out of the loop,
but NYR FO dropped the ball here, not keeping track of the commitments they'd agreed to
This is not accurate.

While Trouba did arrange the NMC to expire at the same time when he signed the contract, what he didn't anticipate was her residency to be delayed by a full year. So his contact is no longer a NMC but rather a NTL with 15 teams.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

PA is definitely keeping an eye on teams maneuvering around NTCs by waiving players. They might not do anything about it now but if they see it happening too often they might bring it up during the next round of labor negotiations.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
PA is definitely keeping an eye on teams maneuvering around NTCs by waiving players. They might not do anything about it now but if they see it happening too often they might bring it up during the next round of labor negotiations.
My bad, missed the second half of that nugget.

shenmue16

Apr 19, 2023
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the leaking of a possible deal to Detroit is what got the deal killed. I really don't think they got very far, it may have just been that Detroit was just kicking tires and the Rangers doing some diligence. But you have to really wonder what the angle is here. Leaking this doesn't seem to really benefit either team, as now Trouba strategically altered his list to exclude everyone who would have traded for him. It may have really come back to bite everyone in the ass, because the Rangers look like idiots for this debacle and it's even harder for them to move him (because their only option is waiving), Detroit had this leak and now has a player who is hell bent on refusing a move (despite him potentially fitting in), and Trouba could get waived or dealt to a team where he won't fit in. The Rangers never would have been in this position if this had never leaked, and are going to look like complete morons if he goes to NJ/NYI/PHI.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I hate this argument. It's professional sports and players are separated from their wives and kids all the time. He is making 8 mil a year. Hire a nanny.

Actually its just reality, humans are forced to separate from their wives and kids for work related issues all the time.

Like you said, at the end of the day, it's a business.
Yeah, and he specifically indicated to the Rangers through his actions (and presumably words), that he prioritized his family and providing them stability in his playing career.

To act like that makes him a bad or unreasonable guy is sour grapes. He's under absolutely no burden, contractually or morally to do the Rangers a solid here.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Trouba's NMC remains in effect,
he contractually arranged for it to expire only once wife's residency is completed,
That was anticipated to be 2024 (now) however that won't be til next spring

Not surprised external sites like CF were out of the loop,
but NYR FO dropped the ball here, not keeping track of the commitments they'd agreed to

What? Source?

This sounds sus as hell.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yeah, and he specifically indicated to the Rangers through his actions (and presumably words), that he prioritized his family and providing them stability in his playing career.

To act like that makes him a bad or unreasonable guy is sour grapes. He's under absolutely no burden, contractually or morally to do the Rangers a solid here.
That is perfectly fine.

If he can't play up to his 8m contract and wants to give the Rangers a hard time they can just waive him and send him to Hartford. Drury is under no burden to do Trouba a favor either.

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
Please refrain from talking about the "center piece" of why the guy doesn't want to leave New York in the free agent discussion board. I'm hoping that just meant don't make it personal.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
The issue is the "separate transaction for the team taking on the contract at its full cap hit". That's the cap circumvention. Its only fine if the Rangers waive Trouba and another team claims him.
So if a team picks up Trouba in waivers, and later in the season the Rangers could provide a fairly lopsided trade as "future considerations"

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Who wants Trouba though

He isn't very good, is overpaid and is a scumbag how plays with his elbows high

I'm not sure there is much of a market for him

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So if a team picks up Trouba in waivers, and later in the season the Rangers could provide a fairly lopsided trade as "future considerations"

The league (Bettman) have a ton of leeway in interpreting things as cap circumvention and will judge it after the fact. I'd bet that even if that was okayed by the league, the Rangers (and the other team) would get a hefty penalty for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad