Rumor: Trouba to Detroit (Rangers retaining)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers fan is peace. Here's my best guess: Trouba for a 2025 second and Elmer Soderblom.

I know Soderblom's had concussion issues an never really picked up from his 21 game NHL opportunity. A change of scenery and a young player with size and limited upside the Rangers can add to their mix and mantra of trying to get tougher to play against (even though he's not a basher from what I remember).

EVS
Ed - Mo
Theodore - Sandin-Pelikka
Johansson - X

PP1
Theodore

PP2
Sandin-Pelikka

In their primes, Ed and Mo can hit 30 mins during the playoffs. Theodore plays the Rafalski role on PP1 and Sandin-Pelikka plays the Kronner role on PP2. Any forwards who play with that second pairing and/or play on the power play are going to see their offensive numbers get a bump. For the record I don't think we are going to sign Theodore, his price will be far too high.
Dont like those future pairings. Theodore and ASP together would prob get caved in a lot because defense is not their strong suit. I think you were right the first time in terms of chemistry. If you sign Theodore you pair him with Mo. Ed preferably needs someone like Roy or Pesce.

Agree that Theodore is prob too expensive anyway

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The rumor is retaining 2.5 million and Trouba at 5.5 on our second pair is good business.

I really hope Yzerman pulls the trigger on this move.
Honestly, I still don't want Trouba at 5.5. If we get Trouba at 4 and send Holl back, and don't have to pay anything to do it, then I'd be happy. Otherwise, actually get a good player or accept that this year is a wash and stop mucking up the future with more bad players

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Trouba and Petry would have been my first two choices back in 2015 when we had the tree of right handed defenseman. Now…not as much. Really gonna depend on the deal here.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Honestly, I still don't want Trouba at 5.5. If we get Trouba at 4 and send Holl back, and don't have to pay anything to do it, then I'd be happy. Otherwise, actually get a good player or accept that this year is a wash and stop mucking up the future with more bad players
Rangers are trying to gain maximum cap space to make some material changes. Holl back doesn't help with that mission.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
im a bit confused by the "Trouba is done" squad. he was 3rd in D-man ice time for the Presidents Trophy winners. he's not what he was, and i always thought that Rangers contract for him was a bit mad, but is he top 4 on Detroit's D? definitely.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Rangers fan is peace. Here's my best guess: Trouba for a 2025 second and Elmer Soderblom.

I know Soderblom's had concussion issues a never really picked up from his 21 game NHL opportunity. A change of scenery and a young player with size and limited upside the Rangers can add to their mix and mantra of trying to get tougher to play against (even though he's not a basher from what I remember).
Nope. Yzerman wouldn’t only need to be fired but would also need to be committed to an asylum if he did that deal. Trouba has negative value at 8 million and even at 4 million he’s not worth a prospect and a 2nd rounder.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Rangers are trying to gain maximum cap space to make some material changes. Holl back doesn't help with that mission.
Then let them keep Trouba. That's the whole point. Unless there's enough negative value going back to the Rangers to cancel Trouba, we shouldn't take him. If we had to trade a second to get rid of Walman, the Rangers should have to trade their first born children to get rid of Trouba

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
he’s been declining the last couple seasons. Why would we bail out New York for someone who by the end of last season was a third pairing d man? We already have a ton of washed up d-men.
So the 3rd leading player in ice time defensively on the President's Trophy winning team is a downgrade? He was playing on a broken ankle with a chunk missing, not even many NHL guys are doing that. He is tough as hell and would be an ideal partner for Edvinsson.

He is 30 years old and it is a two year commitment. I like the deal, he makes us better and helps slot roles on the team better. I want to see the return but I am interested in this and I think he will help take some of the tough minutes off Mo.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
im a bit confused by the "Trouba is done" squad. he was 3rd in D-man ice time for the Presidents Trophy winners. he's not what he was, and i always thought that Rangers contract for him was a bit mad, but is he top 4 on Detroit's D? definitely.
He’s been declining hard, hes not worth half of what his contract is and being a third pairing on a top team makes him Lebda.

• Haha
Reactions: MagicMann13

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

If that's the case, I'd be expecting Rangers to actually give something up, not the Red Wings coughing up a 2nd round pick for a full salary dump by the Rangers.

Just my thoughts. Idk how to feel yet, I know I don't like the idea of adding Trouba and his money vs other players/trades, but if Rangers slap a 1st round pick on it or something crazy, I'll feel better.

Giving up a 2nd to dump Walman, to then again give up a 2nd to acquire the Rangers salary cap dump, bothers me a little. Trouba would have to have a really big bounce back year.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
In terms of acquiring a player who plays physical like Trouba, I'd be interested.

In terms of actual Trouba who repeatedly has tried to brain guys with his elbows Messier-style? Not so much.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Nope. Yzerman wouldn’t only need to be ford but would also need to be committed to an asylum if he did that deal. Trouba has negative value at 8 million and even at 4 million he’s not worth a prospect and a 2nd rounder.
Disagree based on what Emily and friends were saying last night and they have cap room and want more competitive players in the room.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So the 3rd leading player in ice time defensively on the President's Trophy winning team is a downgrade? He was playing on a broken ankle with a chunk missing, not even many NHL guys are doing that. He is tough as hell and would be an ideal partner for Edvinsson.

He is 30 years old and it is a two year commitment. I like the deal, he makes us better and helps slot roles on the team better.
Lebda was the third pairing dman on the Wings 08 cup team. Doesn’t mean I’d trade for him. He’s declining hard and trading for him with that price tag is dumb. Especially if anything goes back to NYR.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Then let them keep Trouba. That's the whole point. Unless there's enough negative value going back to the Rangers to cancel Trouba, we shouldn't take him. If we had to trade a second to get rid of Walman, the Rangers should have to trade their first born children to get rid of Trouba
Dude I'm not Professor X and using telepathy. This is literally taken from factual information from Emily, Weekes, etc. last night and Larry Brooks here in NY.

Trouba still has value and if there's retention, it's going to be something of decent value.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would still need a sweetener. Atleast make NYR pay a 2nd the way we had to in order to dump Walman.
Trouba is a much better player than Jake Walman gang. Even with Trouba's decline... We know his rough end to the season had a significant injury, Walman was being healthy scratched in a playoff race.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00