Rumor: Trouba to Detroit (Rangers retaining)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You make some good points. But Detroit gave up the 8th most goals in the league last year. In addition to goaltending being a problem, the defense needs a significant upgrade, not the continuation of adding bandaids until all the kids are ready.

I agree I just don't know who that could've been. I also think the goals against was a team defense problem, not just the defensemen.

The Wings are just now reaching the point of being a team UFAs would want to sign with because they think the team can be competitive. It's that catch-22 of sucking. You need better players but good UFAs generally want to sign with good teams. Or at least one with a potentially generational talent.

Hopefully in the next season or two Yzerman can land some players that will be real difference makers.

Reactions: RRhoads

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So you thread banning everyone who thinks your argument was stupid?

Not at all. Just people that have a history of being rude when asked to stop.

If you want to call me stupid, you can do that in the DMs. If you want to do it here, you can also take a timeout. It's not terrible difficult, but then again, I am very stupid so maybe my Forrest Gump way of seeing the world is too idyllic for you.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Chiarot has absolutely not been a bad addition. Petry is meh. Holl was a mistake. Maatta is a serviceable bottom pairing guy. Ghost was a one-year reclamation project that mostly paid off.

When you look at these signings the theme has been their relatively short term and to keep trying to make improvements when possible.

Like you seem to want people to be complaining more? I see incremental improvements and relatively low risk moves. I think Yzerman will pull the trigger if there's an opportunity that's worth it. But I'm also glad he's not going out trading for Erik Karlsson.
I'm just saying that the idea that anyone who says "I don't want Trouba, I think that would be a mistake" isn't being a crazy naysayer. It's pretty reasonable to complain about our defensive personnel decisions. Sure, some of us bitch just because we want to, but in general, I think the criticism is pretty legit at this point.

And I'm also happy that we haven't done something more significant- but that's because I think we can't scout pro D for whatever reason. With our short term choices, their one saving grace has been that they were all low commitment.

It appears that we're on the verge of adding another mediocre at best player to our already bad D IMO. That's discouraging. Anyone who is discouraged by that isn't being a hater just to hate. We'll see what the cost is. If they retain on Trouba and we can subtract one of Holl, Petry or Chiarot in the deal, then it's whatever. Otherwise, I'll be critical of the deal because I think it's a dumb decision.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Veleno is better than Copp. From cost for production, future value and current impact.

Oh do players skate around carrying their AAV?

Copp is markedly a better hockey player than Veleno. On the ice. During games. It's honestly not close.

If Veleno were better than Copp he probably wouldn't be playing less minutes than him, taking 300+ fewer faceoffs than him. The only scenario where Veleno should be playing over Copp is the power play, and ideally he wouldn't be there either.

EDIT: And I say that as someone who was really pleasantly surprised with how Veleno looked in the first part of that season. I don't know what happened to that guy though because he went back to old Veleno for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
So you thread banning everyone who thinks your argument was stupid?

There is a huge difference between thinking the take was stupid and being a recalcitrant jackass.

Tbf, that was probably a “repeat offender” type thing in which Nick is kind of a dick about things always instead of one unique occurrence.

Like how Trouba will get suspended a lot quicker for elbows than a guy like Seider would

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I'm just saying that the idea that anyone who says "I don't want Trouba, I think that would be a mistake" isn't being a crazy naysayer. It's pretty reasonable to complain about our defensive personnel decisions. Sure, some of us bitch just because we want to, but in general, I think the criticism is pretty legit at this point.

And I'm also happy that we haven't done something more significant- but that's because I think we can't scout pro D for whatever reason. With our short term choices, their one saving grace has been that they were all low commitment.

It appears that we're on the verge of adding another mediocre at best player to our already bad D IMO. That's discouraging. Anyone who is discouraged by that isn't being a hater just to hate. We'll see what the cost is. If they retain on Trouba and we can subtract one of Holl, Petry or Chiarot in the deal, then it's whatever. Otherwise, I'll be critical of the deal because I think it's a dumb decision.

That all makes sense.

Honestly regarding this specific deal I don't like it because I am a bit of a Trouba hater. I think he's a dirty POS for his repeated elbows.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
By the time ASP is ready for a top 4 role, $6M will be a 3rd pairing salary anyway. Getting the better defensive player in Roy is greatly preferable to taking on a barely skating liability in Trouba.
Agreed. We make this trade so the Rangers can land someone like Roy. This trade helps the Rangers going forward way more than it will help us, yet I doubt we'll receive a considerable sweetener.

This is a deal that can be circled back to if we land no better defensive help through free agency. "Call me back on July 4th and see where Im at."

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
That proposed trade would be acceptable if that’s what it is. Kakko is an upgrade on Veleno and maybe he has some untapped potential; after all the Rangers seem to be quite bad at developing forwards. Turning Holl into Trouba for 2M more isn’t terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad