Trouba huge hit

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It is sometimes
Yes, when the contact to the head is avoidable. Kinda hard to avoid doing that when you are going straight through the body N-S right?

It f***ing sucks seeing players get hurt on hits like this, but these are the rules. And frankly, open ice hitting will be eliminated if hits like this are eliminated. I am ready for hockey without open ice hits, already see this in Finland and in international competitions. Are you ready for NHL without open ice hits?

If not, then shut the f*** up about Trouba, who is basically the best example of making clean (by NHL standards) hits in the NHL since Scott Stevens. You should be in awe.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
That is as right through the body as it gets.

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 1

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
Sorry but you’re 100% wrong. In the national league the responsibility to keep their head up is on the player. If a player has their head down while carrying the puck then this will happen. A clean hit will be delivered and the guys head will be in the h contact zone. Barron had his head up there and this is just one of the many collisions that happen. But he has his head down in the contact zone. So he gets hurt. His own fault.
A Match penalty will be assessed to any player who hits a player in the head in such a way that the player is unable to protect or defend themselves or to any player who attempts to or deliberately injures an opponent by Head Contact. No Misconduct penalty may be assessed for a Head Contact infraction.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yes, when the contact to the head is avoidable. Kinda hard to avoid doing that when you are going straight through the body N-S right?

It f***ing sucks seeing players get hurt on hits like this, but these are the rules. And frankly, open ice hitting will be eliminated if hits like this are eliminated. I am ready for hockey without open ice hits, already see this in Finland and in international competitions. Are you ready for NHL without open ice hits?

If not, then shut the f*** up about Trouba, who is basically the best example of making clean (by NHL standards) hits in the NHL since Scott Stevens. You should be in awe.
Trouba the best example of clean hitting? Maybe you should listen to yourself and shit the f*** up?

Reactions: Oryxo

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
A Match penalty will be assessed to any player who hits a player in the head in such a way that the player is unable to protect or defend themselves or to any player who attempts to or deliberately injures an opponent by Head Contact. No Misconduct penalty may be assessed for a Head Contact infraction.

You just owned yourself...

A Match penalty will be assessed to any player who hits a player in the head in such a way that the player is unable to protect or defend themselves or to any player who attempts to or deliberately injures an opponent by Head Contact.

Barron couldve protected himself from the hit. They are talking about blindside hits here...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:

(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

This is the rule, I don't know why so many people don't seem to understand it. You can go through and say (i) there was no poor timing, angle, etc., and he didn't "pick" the head and (ii) Barron put himself in a vulnerable position. I don't think (iii) is applicable here. I guess you can try to argue the head was "picked" but I don't see anything objective to support that.

If you don't like the hit that's fine, but it's not illegal and there's no universal "primary point of contact to the head is always illegal" rule. This shit comes up dozens of times every year, I feel like it should be understood by now.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
This player was totally able to defend himself, but for some reason, he didn’t.
This part does not apply in this instance. It was a legal hit.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And this wasn’t that kind of play. Baron had his head down and in the area of contact. This was 100% Baron’s fault. He needs to keep his head up. If the roles were reversed he’d make the same hit on Trouba.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Targets the head? On a N-S hit, going right through the body? Boy you must've hated Kronwall and Konstantinov.
Dude I don't need to go back and forth with you, the video is clear cut evidence.
Kronwall and Konstantinov never targeted the head.
Go look at Kronwall's hits. A lot of rough ones for sure, a few hit head first and not intentionally so. Almost all of them hit the body and its the follow through that rocked the player, not the initial hit/hit point.

Reactions: Fatass

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hate the result, but Trouba is allowed to make the hit there and he kept himself low going in. If Barron keeps himself upright his ribs are gonna feel not great, but his head is fine

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:

(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

This is the rule, I don't know why so many people don't seem to understand it. You can go through and say (i) there was no poor timing, angle, etc., and he didn't "pick" the head and (ii) Barron put himself in a vulnerable position. I don't think (iii) is applicable here. I guess you can try to argue the head was "picked" but I don't see anything objective to support that.

If you don't like the hit that's fine, but it's not illegal and there's no universal "primary point of contact to the head is always illegal" rule. This shit comes up dozens of times every year, I feel like it should be understood by now.
You are correct....

I HATE these hits.. hate them.

But till NHL changes the rule, they'll keep happening.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Aside from what looks to be a concussion, the worst part of this hit is that, once again, “toughness” demands players jumping an opposing player over a clean hit. Glad they finally assessed the instigator penalty to hopefully stop some of that nonsense.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Dude I don't need to go back and forth with you, the video is clear cut evidence.
Kronwall and Konstantinov never targeted the head.
Go look at Kronwall's hits. A lot of rough ones for sure, a few hit head first and not intentionally so. Almost all of them hit the body and its the follow through that rocked the player, not the initial hit/hit point.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i believe that's hockey canada not nhl rulebook

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad