Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I've said it for awhile now, if Trouba signs a bridge it is because he wants out but Chevy needs the time to optimize the return. That strategy worked for Johansen and ROR.

Johansen didn't want out though. He just wanted $$$$

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
But it was set up to get max or be set free at the earliest possible moment. From a distance it was well played by the agent. I just hope Chevy hangs tough.

We still have four years. If Trouba sits out the season we have five.

But even after a two year bridge. I still believe Trouba will sign a long term deal.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
No one knows for sure, but Johansen's deal was absolutely structured for him to either get a very big ticket contract or have him set free as a UFA at age 25. Bottom line IMO it set in motion his eventual trade.

Only my opinion. Johansen lost his mind when cbj got sadd in trade and gave him 6x6 off an elc. That they refused to give to him. Thats also when the flood gates opened on long term deals opened up after elc.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Only my opinion. Johansen lost his mind when cbj got sadd in trade and gave him 6x6 off an elc. That they refused to give to him. Thats also when the flood gates opened on long term deals opened up after elc.

The Oilers were doing it long before then starting with Hall and Eberle.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We still have four years. If Trouba sits out the season we have five.

But even after a two year bridge. I still believe Trouba will sign a long term deal.

We will see. I still remain optimistic he signs long term. Just giving my opinion on how I think it plays out if he signs a bridge. None of use know for sure. All pure speculation.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
We will see. I still remain optimistic he signs long term. Just giving my opinion on how I think it plays out if he signs a bridge. None of use know for sure. All pure speculation.

2 year bridge. Then he files for arbitration. Jets choose 1 yr. Signs a long term deal just before the hearing. It happens over and over again with almost every above average player.

By that point he hasn't got "paid" He would be taking a lot of risk doing consecutive 1 yr deals and his total $$$$ will be a lot less than it otherwise would be if he signs long term.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Have you ever listened to Hustler when there is even a remotely contentious issue that comes up regarding TNSE? He will defend anything and everything associated with the team; as will Beyak, Edmunds and Mundz.

I think the onus should be on you to show that there is even remotely balanced coverage of this team. I can think of only a few instances when the local media hasn't been carrying the water for TNSE and then the criticism has tended to be more directed at the players (The Lawless article on the Atlanta Five, for example), and not Chipper, Chevy or the coaches (there were a couple of articles last spring, but they stood out because of their rarity).

Where do you think the leaks for the Buff, Trouba and Ladd contract talks came from? They only helped one side in those negotiations. TNSE absolutely uses the very compliant local media to pedal their story (as they should, if the media will let them). I think you are putting your head in the sand if you think otherwise. Communications strategy is all about controlling the message. The best way to do that is to control the messenger. TNSE does that very, very well.

I disagree with almost all of this. It's up to the media to do balanced coverage but that wasn't my point.

Show me an example where they went out of their way to trash a player.......which is what was suggested they would have done. TNSE were very respectable the way they handled the Kane situation and to suggest they would try and put out spin doctors to trash Evander after he was gone is pretty ridiculous IMO. It's more likley they just didn't care because their problem was now elsewhere.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
You just said that Columbus opened the floodgates. That's what I responded to.

So which of Eberle or Hall played for Columbus? None right? Maybe signing Saad to a 6x6 deal might have been a bigger deal to Johansen considering that was the deal he wanted...yet they refused?

That's what he meant.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Gaudreau told hockey news he doesn't expect to sign a contract before he is finished with the WCoH.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Gaudreau told hockey news he doesn't expect to sign a contract before he is finished with the WCoH.

Makes sense. I doubt that any of the remaining unsigned RFAs will get done until very close to the start of the regular season, or maybe even a bit later than that. It certainly didn't sound as though Lindholm was close a couple of weeks ago.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
noticed chevy used trouba's name along with scheifele ehlers and laine that the fans are excited to see in new year in an article in today's slapshot. that's encouraging.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Makes sense. I doubt that any of the remaining unsigned RFAs will get done until very close to the start of the regular season, or maybe even a bit later than that. It certainly didn't sound as though Lindholm was close a couple of weeks ago.

Yet so many still feel the sky is falling with Trouba? :huh:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
noticed chevy used trouba's name along with scheifele ehlers and laine that the fans are excited to see in new year in an article in today's slapshot. that's encouraging.

You can listen to Chevy say those things in the Sirius XM link above.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
2 year bridge. Then he files for arbitration. Jets choose 1 yr. Signs a long term deal just before the hearing. It happens over and over again with almost every above average player.

By that point he hasn't got "paid" He would be taking a lot of risk doing consecutive 1 yr deals and his total $$$$ will be a lot less than it otherwise would be if he signs long term.

I admire your consistency in perspective but I think it's still a tad optimistic.

I think anything but a long term deal out of the gate signals a shortened tenure in Winnipeg. That is also something we see time and time again: players who engage in challenging negotiations don't often stay with that team for long afterward. If we point again to Overhardt's other clients - Turris, Johansen, Dubinsky - we see an eventual trade on the horizon. We want Trouba to be a franchise player and the likelihood of that diminishes with each transition into the regular season.

I still maintain that he is not going to report to Jets TC after the world cup. What happens after that remains to be seen, but I'm almost certain that Trouba's camp will want the Jets to feel what it is like to not have him around. They'll have to sort out drills, pairings, line combos, and will be forced to have a closer look at other talent as possible short term replacements. Trouba's camp would be gambling in this being unbearable enough to get a deal done in their favour. Although there's also a risk of it being just fine for the Jets, without a holdout they have next to no leverage in negotiations.

A deal will get done no matter what, but it is clearly emerging that the kind of deal that's done is more important than when it gets done.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I admire your consistency in perspective but I think it's still a tad optimistic.

I think anything but a long term deal out of the gate signals a shortened tenure in Winnipeg. That is also something we see time and time again: players who engage in challenging negotiations don't often stay with that team for long afterward. If we point again to Overhardt's other clients - Turris, Johansen, Dubinsky - we see an eventual trade on the horizon. We want Trouba to be a franchise player and the likelihood of that diminishes with each transition into the regular season.

I still maintain that he is not going to report to Jets TC after the world cup. What happens after that remains to be seen, but I'm almost certain that Trouba's camp will want the Jets to feel what it is like to not have him around. They'll have to sort out drills, pairings, line combos, and will be forced to have a closer look at other talent as possible short term replacements. Trouba's camp would be gambling in this being unbearable enough to get a deal done in their favour. Although there's also a risk of it being just fine for the Jets, without a holdout they have next to no leverage in negotiations.

A deal will get done no matter what, but it is clearly emerging that the kind of deal that's done is more important than when it gets done.

I don't believe the Jets will allow him to report without a contract.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

If I continued my predicted timeline it would go like this:

Trouba traded at the 2020 draft just days before his NMC comes into effect and allowing the acquiring team to nullify it. So I also believe the Jets will trade Trouba at some point......just a bit later than some others do.

BTW no RFA player will report to training camp unless they are under contract. Trouba included.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
If I continued my predicted timeline it would go like this:

Trouba traded at the 2020 draft just days before his NMC comes into effect and allowing the acquiring team to nullify it. So I also believe the Jets will trade Trouba at some point......just a bit later than some others do.

BTW no RFA player will report to training camp unless they are under contract. Trouba included.

If I have your timeline correct, that's a trade after 3 seasons. I'm hoping for more out of him than that. If he's contributing to the team at value, why worry about a NMC. The most recent move like that is Subban, and that wasn't about money or contract rights.

But.. if the Trouba negs continue to go sideways then I expect a trade around or just before your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad