Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Or your taking his words too literally, clearly he meant he had asked multi times over a long period of time. How many times do you make a general comment, not meaning it literally? Alot

He might have done that, but your contention is that he asked for a trade for 3+ seasons, and Chevy refused to trade him for that time period.

As you requested, I've just produced evidence from his agent that it was at most two off-seasons that he asked for a trade.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy, and I'm glad that Chevy didn't bow to his demands, even just to show that he wasn't going to start out his GM career as an easy mark for trade requests, particularly in the Winnipeg market.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The summer would be the most appropriate time to ask for a trade. You don't want to ask for a trade during the season while you're in a dog fight with the rest of your teammates.

At least that's my take on it.

And I don't think Kane specifically asked for a trade. I think he told his agent he wanted to be traded and his agent then relayed that to Chevy.

I don't disagree. My point is there is likely a lot more to the story. I think it's likely that Kane at some point may have rescinded one or more of his trade requests.

Take a look at Hamonic for example. Things change.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't disagree. My point is there is likely a lot more to the story. I think it's likely that Kane at some point may have rescinded one or more of his trade requests.

Take a look at Hamonic for example. Things change.

I do recall Kane saying all sorts of positive things going into the first training camp with Maurice as head coach. It might have been just for public consumption, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that his desire for a trade waxed and waned. It's also not a huge surprise that after he was traded he dumped on the Jets' organization and claimed that he had wanted out of Winnipeg every season. After all, this is the guy who claimed that the two Jets he'd most like to fight were Ladd and Wheeler. Clearly, the guy has some issues with maturity and I would take his public statements with a grain of salt.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't disagree with you the players do use it to their advantage often. So with the Jets management claiming they want to build a family environment here, is it best policy to use the CBA as a weapon in kind?

Two words: Tough Love.

And really folks, when we're talking millions of dollars in salary, how can the word "weapon" be used...:help:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Two words: Tough Love.

And really folks, when we're talking millions of dollars in salary, how can the word "weapon" be used...:help:

One word: Perspective

You're trying to apply logic from a average persons POV to guys who are making more money then likely anyone on this entire site could even dream of.....different rules apply.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Where did I say that?

I said if someone wants to play hardball then the GM should play hardball right back.
Your statement indicated that playing hardball with one player would somehow undermine the family atmosphere TNSE is trying to foster.I see no reason that would be true. got any evidence to suopport your claim?

If that wasn't what you were saying or hinting at ok, no problem then.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It's possible that Trouba and the Jets have a different idea of what his ideal role is on the team. If that is the case than there will likely have to be some compromise by one or both parties or it might be in both parties best interest to move on.

Very true and totally agree, let's see how it works out.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The summer would be the most appropriate time to ask for a trade. You don't want to ask for a trade during the season while you're in a dog fight with the rest of your teammates.

At least that's my take on it.

And I don't think Kane specifically asked for a trade. I think he told his agent he wanted to be traded and his agent then relayed that to Chevy.

Completely agree, I don't see it as odd in anyway. The only thing I find odd is after asking multi times over a long period of time.....why hadn't a trade happened before thing blew up. But this has nothing to do with Trouba directly, the whole point originally was Trouba can't count on Chevy carrying through with a trade just b/c he requested one and signed a deal.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
He might have done that, but your contention is that he asked for a trade for 3+ seasons, and Chevy refused to trade him for that time period.

As you requested, I've just produced evidence from his agent that it was at most two off-seasons that he asked for a trade.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy, and I'm glad that Chevy didn't bow to his demands, even just to show that he wasn't going to start out his GM career as an easy mark for trade requests, particularly in the Winnipeg market.

I don't care about his exact words, that's not important. The fact is it was multi requests over a long period of time. Again Kane has nothing to do with Trouba situation, just pointing out Trouba can't trust Chevy to fulfil any trade request just b/c he signs a deal......that was the point being made. Doesn't matter if it was 2 or 3 years, it was well beyond reasonable time period.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't care about his exact words, that's not important. The fact is it was multi requests over a long period of time. Again Kane has nothing to do with Trouba situation, just pointing out Trouba can't trust Chevy to fulfil any trade request just b/c he signs a deal......that was the point being made. Doesn't matter if it was 2 or 3 years, it was well beyond reasonable time period.

He can count even less on a trade by holding out, without losing a chunk of change. If he wants to hold out to get a trade I could see Chevy forcing him to sit out the entire season. Good luck ever recouping that salary. Chevy would and should draw a hard line if it comes to that.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
There is no way Chevy or any GM trades a player while he's sitting out. Trouba will have to sign with the Jets.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
He can count even less on a trade by holding out, without losing a chunk of change. If he wants to hold out to get a trade I could see Chevy forcing him to sit out the entire season. Good luck ever recouping that salary. Chevy would and should draw a hard line if it comes to that.

I don't disagree, I never advocated sitting out. The point was signing a deal means nothing to Chevy if we use Kane as a example. IMO Trouba should sign a bridge 1-2 years only and immediately and publically request a trade (on a regular basis b/c Chevy seems to have a short memory for trade requests). If he's unhappy in Peg by Jets poor usage of him and potentially trying to under pay him b/c he took the Stuart bullet an is now potentially being used against him.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Lapdogs

Kane said he asked for a trade every year, after he had the infamous incident and had been traded. While he was with the Jets he publicly said he was fine in Winnipeg. I wouldn't take his word as the most reliable.

I don't for a second think True North would not have used one of their media lapdogs to set the record straight. 100% I think he had repeatedly asked for a trade.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't for a second think True North would not have used one of their media lapdogs to set the record straight. 100% I think he had repeatedly asked for a trade.

TNSE doesn't behave that way. Show one example

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
One word: Perspective

You're trying to apply logic from a average persons POV to guys who are making more money then likely anyone on this entire site could even dream of.....different rules apply.

Whatever dude. I disagree with your posts on this topic. Let's leave it at that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't disagree, I never advocated sitting out. The point was signing a deal means nothing to Chevy if we use Kane as a example. IMO Trouba should sign a bridge 1-2 years only and immediately and publically request a trade (on a regular basis b/c Chevy seems to have a short memory for trade requests). If he's unhappy in Peg by Jets poor usage of him and potentially trying to under pay him b/c he took the Stuart bullet an is now potentially being used against him.

So he should sign and then hand cuff Chevy so all he gets is low ball offers? Why would Chevy except pennies on the dollar? Drouin demanded the public trade and Yzerman waited him out and he came back with his tail between his legs. And now he is on team NA.

I believe a bridge deal would signal the beginning of the end, but it would have to be done with everyone having smiles on their face and singing platitudes. In 2 years you can really play hard ball with arb rights if you aren't moved.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So he should sign and then hand cuff Chevy so all he gets is low ball offers? Why would Chevy except pennies on the dollar? Drouin demanded the public trade and Yzerman waited him out and he came back with his tail between his legs. And now he is on team NA.

I believe a bridge deal would signal the beginning of the end, but it would have to be done with everyone having smiles on their face and singing platitudes. In 2 years you can really play hard ball with arb rights if you aren't moved.

That's also a possible outcome

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

all a bridge deal means is the player realizing that the dollars he wants on a long term deal are not there. taking the bridge is his way on betting on himself. plus the team might want to pay more later knowing better what he is worth then overpay now when they might not be sure.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
all a bridge deal means is the player realizing that the dollars he wants on a long term deal are not there. taking the bridge is his way on betting on himself. plus the team might want to pay more later knowing better what he is worth then overpay now when they might not be sure.

Yes if the player wants to stay and he believes he has yet to demonstrate his true potential.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
TNSE doesn't behave that way. Show one example

Have you ever listened to Hustler when there is even a remotely contentious issue that comes up regarding TNSE? He will defend anything and everything associated with the team; as will Beyak, Edmunds and Mundz.

I think the onus should be on you to show that there is even remotely balanced coverage of this team. I can think of only a few instances when the local media hasn't been carrying the water for TNSE and then the criticism has tended to be more directed at the players (The Lawless article on the Atlanta Five, for example), and not Chipper, Chevy or the coaches (there were a couple of articles last spring, but they stood out because of their rarity).

Where do you think the leaks for the Buff, Trouba and Ladd contract talks came from? They only helped one side in those negotiations. TNSE absolutely uses the very compliant local media to pedal their story (as they should, if the media will let them). I think you are putting your head in the sand if you think otherwise. Communications strategy is all about controlling the message. The best way to do that is to control the messenger. TNSE does that very, very well.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I should add that, when push comes to shove in the Trouba negotiations, TNSE will not be above some subtle public commentary to nudge things in their direction, despite Chevy's repeated assertions that he will not talk about negotiations.

Whether they come from Chevy directly, or some "source", it will be well thought out for maximum effect and plausible deniability.

I will even stake all 50 of my vCash on it!!!

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I've said it for awhile now, if Trouba signs a bridge it is because he wants out but Chevy needs the time to optimize the return. That strategy worked for Johansen and ROR.

And i thought johanson got a bridge because other than the oilers nobody a few years ago got long term contracts coming off an elc. My mistake.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And i thought johanson got a bridge because other than the oilers nobody a few years ago got long term contracts coming off an elc. My mistake.

No one knows for sure, but Johansen's deal was absolutely structured for him to either get a very big ticket contract or have him set free as a UFA at age 25. Bottom line IMO it set in motion his eventual trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad