Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that's a terrible take, but to each their own.

I mean, if it was up to me, I'd have signed him to a 8-year contract and given him the C. :laugh:

Would be a terrible take if the player was trending well. Player trends do mean a lot. I strongly feel that if you trade him before this next season, the trade value you get is something around a 60 pts forward. If you want more value than that, keep him and see what he does next year. You don't have to extend him for 2 more years.

If you feel strongly about your player growth, you got 2 years to let it play out bud.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Would be a terrible take if the player was trending well. Player trends do mean a lot. I strongly feel that if you trade him before this next season, the trade value you get is something around a 60 pts forward. If you want more value than that, keep him and see what he does next year. You don't have to extend him for 2 more years.

If you feel strongly about your player growth, you got 2 years to let it play out bud.
Meh I still think you’re looking at minimum dach+ package.

Teams asking for zegras arnt getting him with the intention of him being a 60 point player. I think his value will be a bit higher than a 60 point player…. Also plenty of teams that need top 6 centers.

It’s not what you think his value is, it’s what it takes to get a trade done…. If he’s not moved it’s cause people didn’t pay the price…. Which is 100% fine…. I don’t really think he’s on the buy low pick up list….. I’d be shocked if a trade got done with Montreal and 1 of Reinbacher / 5th or guhle isn’t involved.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Teams asking for zegras arnt getting him with the intention of him being a 60 point player. I think his value will be a bit higher than a 60 point player…. Also plenty of teams that need top 6 centers.

It’s not what you think his value is, it’s what it takes to get a trade done…. If he’s not moved it’s cause people didn’t pay the price…. Which is 100% fine…. I don’t really think he’s on the buy low pick up list….. I’d be shocked if a trade got done with Montreal and 1 of Reinbacher / 5th or guhle isn’t involved.

It's the best trade value we can offer. If another team offers the 60-80+ points, we let them.

I agree with LeBrun's statement.

“I think Anaheim and Montreal have reconnected regarding Zegras. However, I don’t think this is a path the Habs will pursue aggressively.” – Pierre LeBrun

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Guhle's ppg went down from .4 to .3 (18 in 44 to 22 in 70). It trended down last year, so does that mean you view him as worse? If you want to sell him cheap before he keeps trending down, Ducks would love to pick him up.

And just to be clear, I believe both players (Zegras and Guhle) will improve over the next several years.

Reactions: MCB

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Guhle's ppg went down from .4 to .3 (18 in 44 to 22 in 70). It trended down last year, so does that mean you view him as worse? If you want to sell him cheap before he keeps trending down, Ducks would love to pick him up.

And just to be clear, I believe both players (Zegras and Guhle) will improve over the next several years.

Guhle plays D and D are evaluated differently than Forwards. Guhle has shown good shutdown ability which is his 1st responsibility.

This means nothing because we are not considering A Guhle trade. His name is not out there like it is with Zegras. Habs don't have to engage in Guhle's trade value because we are not really taking calls on him.

If you believe in Zegras as much as the Habs believe in Guhle, you should keep Zegras and the Ducks fans should say, he's not available.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Guhle plays D and D are evaluated differently than Forwards. Guhle has shown good shutdown ability which is his 1st responsibility.

This means nothing because we are not considering A Guhle trade. His name is not out there like it is with Zegras. Habs don't have to engage in Guhle's trade value because we are not really taking calls on him.

If you believe in Zegras as much as the Habs believe in Guhle, you should keep Zegras and the Ducks fans should say, he's not available.
Actually, that's what the vast majority of them are saying.

Reactions: dracom and Ducks

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually, that's what the vast majority of them are saying.

Not how I have comprehended it. I have seen fans listen like the GM is. Not desperate to trade Zegras but there are very little... Untouchable replies. At least from what I have seen.

Habs have not had any contract disputes with Guhle but maybe we will. He has one ELC year left. But as it stands today, we like his progression and what he did this past season. He was injured as well but played 70 games. My true evaluation with Guhle is not solely based on points.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not how I have comprehended it. I have seen fans listen like the GM is. Not desperate to trade Zegras but there are very little... Untouchable replies. At least from what I have seen.

Habs have not had any contract disputes with Guhle but maybe we will. He has one ELC year left. But as it stands today, we like his progression and what he did this past season. He was injured as well but played 70 games. My true evaluation with Guhle is not solely based on points.
Zegras is untouchable. There, can we stop all this now?

Reactions: MCB

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

But Ducks fans ARE saying we'd rather keep him than trade him for scraps/spare parts. It's other teams offering expendable pieces for him. And centers are supposed to play a 200 foot game (including defense). Zegras was improving defensively and working on that part of his game all season. The last stretch of games were some of the best hockey he's played.

And EVERY player is avaliable for the right price. Better/higher potential players than either Guhle or Zegras have been traded. That's part of drafting BPA over need, sometimes you are loaded at a certain position... for the Ducks it's LH centers (Zegras, Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier can all play C). If there is a trade that makes the team better, Verbeek should absolutely listen just like Habs should listen if there is a trade for Guhle that makes the team better. There is a huge difference between listening to offers and trying to trade someone.

Reactions: Rec T

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So, skimming through, I will say this and only this, 1 year does not make a trend. Good or bad. A 23 year old player who had an injury laden year under a new coach and missed most of Cap is not trending down. If he continues to struggle next year then we can make that claim.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

There is probably little doubt that GMPV is listening to offers on Zegras. There is realization amongst many Duck fans that PV is trying to build a certain type of team with certain types of players. Look at his draft choices over the past two years and it is pretty obvious that he is trying to build a Florida-west type of team...very heavy, very physical, very big. It is for that reason that fans are more or less resigned to the possibility that Zegras could be on the block. But there is NO talk that GMPV is going to give him away. Zegras is the most valuable trade chip GMPV has if he wants to use it. He'll wait for his price or he'll keep Zegras. It's pretty simple from an Anaheim POV.

From the POV of any team that is talking to the Ducks about Zegras, the situation is equally simple. The cost will be high. Not ridiculous but high. If the Montreal rumors persist or intensify, you should be bracing yourself to give up something you don't want to give up. At that point, take it up with a letter to your own GM.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Tell that to Lebrun and others who keep reporting that the Ducks are listening to offers. It's more their fault than the fault of other fans who are talking about it.
This all stems from a Seravelli report who has proven time and again not to have good sources in Anaheim. He literally has been fueling the Gibson trade for years and last year made the claim he would never player for the Ducks again. Gibby went on to play the entire season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But Ducks fans ARE saying we'd rather keep him than trade him for scraps/spare parts. It's other teams offering expendable pieces for him. And centers are supposed to play a 200 foot game (including defense). Zegras was improving defensively and working on that part of his game all season. The last stretch of games were some of the best hockey he's played.

And EVERY player is avaliable for the right price. Better/higher potential players than either Guhle or Zegras have been traded. That's part of drafting BPA over need, sometimes you are loaded at a certain position... for the Ducks it's LH centers (Zegras, Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier can all play C). If there is a trade that makes the team better, Verbeek should absolutely listen just like Habs should listen if there is a trade for Guhle that makes the team better. There is a huge difference between listening to offers and trying to trade someone.

It's all good. All I know is there has been conversations between the Ducks and Habs. I'm sure they are not as far apart as us fans are because they keep talking. I don't think this is some HF board narrative where Hughes is offering a quantity package the Ducks don't like but he keeps calling offering a quantity package. haha.

I just asked the Habs on our boards how they would react if it was Hutson and the Jets 1st. It's not getting good reactions. Most if not all don't like it but I just asked that question. I suspect that reply stays consistent.

So yeah, if the Ducks and Habs keep talking, WTF are they talking about and what players? My gut tells me Hughes is trying to make another deal to bridge the gap (like the Dach/13th/Romanov) trade. He's talking to other teams and circling back to the Ducks to see if assets he gets from other teams is something the Ducks want. Something like that. I doubt very much that pieces like the Habs 5th, Guhle, and Reinbacher are at play.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This all stems from a Seravelli report who has proven time and again not to have good sources in Anaheim. He literally has been fueling the Gibson trade for years and last year made the claim he would never player for the Ducks again. Gibby went on to play the entire season.

It's not just Seravelli though. Lebrun just said this recently as well. It's strange because I do feel the Habs and Ducks talked during the season and close to the TDL and now they are talking again. You have to imagine that this is not a hang up the phone conversation because Hughes is not offering anything close to what the Ducks are asking.

Habs are not going to persue aggressively but yet, they are still talking. :sarcasm:

“I think Anaheim and Montreal have reconnected regarding Zegras. However, I don’t think this is a path the Habs will pursue aggressively.” – Pierre LeBrun

There is probably little doubt that GMPV is listening to offers on Zegras. There is realization amongst many Duck fans that PV is trying to build a certain type of team with certain types of players. Look at his draft choices over the past two years and it is pretty obvious that he is trying to build a Florida-west type of team...very heavy, very physical, very big. It is for that reason that fans are more or less resigned to the possibility that Zegras could be on the block. But there is NO talk that GMPV is going to give him away. Zegras is the most valuable trade chip GMPV has if he wants to use it. He'll wait for his price or he'll keep Zegras. It's pretty simple from an Anaheim POV.

From the POV of any team that is talking to the Ducks about Zegras, the situation is equally simple. The cost will be high. Not ridiculous but high. If the Montreal rumors persist or intensify, you should be bracing yourself to give up something you don't want to give up. At that point, take it up with a letter to your own GM.

This stuff I find interesting. We are playing GM so yeah, be careful with what you say? What I will say is that is a two way street.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Tell that to Lebrun and others who keep reporting that the Ducks are listening to offers. It's more their fault than the fault of other fans who are talking about it.
The section about Zegras and Gibson in Lebrun's article yesterday was completely devoid of any facts that aren't already known. It's clickbait, pure and simple.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
The section about Zegras and Gibson in Lebrun's article yesterday was completely devoid of any facts that aren't already known. It's clickbait, pure and simple.
They always put Z as the main image for those articles too to draw in even more clicks.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's not just Seravelli though. Lebrun just said this recently as well. It's strange because I do feel the Habs and Ducks talked during the season and close to the TDL and now they are talking again. You have to imagine that this is not a hang up the phone conversation because Hughes is not offering anything close to what the Ducks are asking.

Habs are not going to persue aggressively but yet, they are still talking. :sarcasm:

This stuff I find interesting. We are playing GM so yeah, be careful with what you say? What I will say is that is a two way street.
Yes, and in this case Zegras would be on the street leading to Montreal. The question is what would be coming back on the street to Anaheim. And I'll repeat...it will be more than you want to give up if a trade happens. I personally don't think it will but there is enough smoke to take it seriously.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

will be interesting to see this unfold indeed. I'd be shocked if the Ducks return a RB/5th/Guhle level asset in return.

As much as Zegras has a high ceiling, his floor has also been exposed. Would take a GM 100% confident in Zegras' character and drive to become an elite player to be willing to part ways with an asset on par with his potential... If KH, who knows the person well, isn't sold, tough to imagine there are other GMs out there that will be willing to take that risk.

I hope the habs are able to find a deal that works for both sides, I'm bullish on Zegras excelling when/if he lands in a better environment, but I wouldn't remotely consider offering up the assets you suggested...

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’ve always maintained the Davy trade, maybe slightly more, is what I would expect if he’s moved.

13+ from Minnesota would be in play in theory, but I highly doubt Guerin is a fan of Zegras. That’s not his style of player, at all.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

There are few interesting things from the LeBron report:
1. PV refused to talk about it. This is right after discussing Gibson and trade rumors and the goalie market. If both players are available why the difference in tact? We can only speculate but seems odd to me.
2. Lebrun also states that his information is coming from around the league. In that PV isn't shutting down conversations. Ducks fans have discussed this too as it's the GMs job to listen. Which leads us to the comment that Lebrun doesn't feel that Mtl with persue it aggressively. Wouldn't this suggest that the asking price is too high? Lending more weight to the idea that the Ducks aren't looking to move him unless they get a big return?
3. PVs stated goals is to improve the depth and increase scoring. That doesn't happen by trading Z for lesser parts.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Huh. It's almost like Ducks fans have been saying exactly that for more than a few months and dozens of pages over multiple threads now...and yet here we are. Some will say exactly that but then also say "Ok, let's play the 'what if' game..." and get nothing but silly/lowball offers and slurs against him in return* ... but again, here we are.

There is zero reason for PV to move on from him, especially after the down season he had. There is no cap pressure whatsoever. No big contracts to work on. Is he talking to other GMs? Sure, that's what they do. However, unless it's a big offer that really fills one of the only two holes the Ducks have (top 6 RW, top 4 RHD), he isn't going anywhere.

And the 'insider reports' of him going to be traded tend to be from people who constantly exaggerate things for clicks. He's only been rumored to be going to a big market team (with lots of fans and clicks) & never a team such as say, Columbus...funny that.

*"He has zero drive, intensity, is injury prone, won't negotiate on a contract, is horrible in the locker room, too much of a showboat, etc... we really don't want that cancer anywhere near us, but as we're friends here, we'll do you the favor of... how does a 2nd & a 4th & you take this lousy contract back sound...?"

(and I see much of that has been covered in the last hour. I had started a reply & then had to leave for a bit...ah well)

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
And apparently the price is too high, usually what happens when a player a team isn’t interested in moving would do. Find me a report that says Pat is calling other teams about offloading Zegras, then maybe you would have a case.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

To be fair we have no clue what “pursue aggressively” means

For all we know, Montreal offered 5 and Anaheim wanted more

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
[climbs aboard soapbox] This is some lazy, uninspired reporting by someone whose name has become synonymous with exactly that. Each sentence contains "I think." Credit to him for making the call to Verbeek, but Verbeek was justifiably tight-lipped. What LeBrun thinks is immaterial. If you're a reporter, report what you know. If your source won't tell you what you want to hear, report that. But this rumor-mongering and speculation are useless. It's just a flailing hack trying yet again to add cred to his name by inventing news where there is none. [/soapbox]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad