Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I could see him ending up on any of these teams:

Buffalo
New Jersey
NYR
Montreal
Carolina
Columbus

Seem most likely:
Columbus
Buffalo
Carolina

Actually, seems most likely that he doesnt get moved.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
You can't compare Beck to Z. One has immense talent, the other is built on being a skating hyena.

I want the heyna in the playoffs but we also need the talent to tie or brake a game open. With Little X on the horizon, we got the hyenas, we now need the top 6 talent
Only comparing cause his name is mentioned in the thread with us adding. We should be able to get a top 6 skilled fwd at 5OA that also has some jam.

We passed on Michkov and Leonard to get Reinbacher, wonder if Caps or Flyers fans would do either 1:1 for Z?

Robbie Schremp on steroids doesn’t move the needle for me

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You can't compare Beck to Z. One has immense talent, the other is built on being a skating hyena.

I want the heyna in the playoffs but we also need the talent to tie or brake a game open. With Little X on the horizon, we got the hyenas, we now need the top 6 talent

I mean no one knows what zegras is in the playoffs

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Only comparing cause his name is mentioned in the thread with us adding. We should be able to get a top 6 skilled fwd at 5OA that also has some jam.

We passed on Michkov and Leonard to get Reinbacher, wonder if Caps or Flyers fans would do either 1:1 for Z?

If Z had that kind of value he’d be gone.

No way would either team do that.

Z has high upside and lots of questions, including character and regression, fairly or not, and with a decent contract that may increase soon.

Anaheim fans want his upside value; but even players who have said value don’t define that.

Alex D returned a top 10 pick after a 40 goal season, and hasn’t even lived up to it since, and that deal is far more justifiable than for Zegras.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mean no one knows what zegras is in the playoffs
True, but we also need to look at history.

Beck is a medium skilled hyena. Given his current history, we know that's his game.

Z is a high skilled player. He has shown that immense skill but no traits as a ultra competitive player who will bleed to win.

BOTH are needed. Habs of the mid 70s had abundance of both. While we are galaxies away from teams like that, the principles of winning are still the same.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Z has high upside and lots of questions, including character and regression, fairly or not, and with a decent contract that may increase soon.

Anaheim fans want his upside value; but even players who have said value don’t define that.

Alex D returned a top 10 pick after a 40 goal season, and hasn’t even lived up to it since, and that deal is far more justifiable than for Zegras.
Debrincat was a very very different situation both contract-wise and player control-wise.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Michkov for Zegras? The thinking right now is that Michkov will be a ppg+ level player.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think it's more of a back and forth conversation and definitly not as nasty or confrontational as these threads.
I'm pretty sure GMs never hang up on the spot and block a number, and yet based on these threads you'd think it's a routine occurence.

But I agree that GMs talk a lot, get a feel for what's out there, and that's how they can sometimes get deals done quickly - because they already know what is available for what kind of a return.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm pretty sure GMs never hang up on the spot and block a number, and yet based on these threads you'd think it's a routine occurence.

But I agree that GMs talk a lot, get a feel for what's out there, and that's how they can sometimes get deals done quickly - because they already know what is available for what kind of a return.
I never got rid of a customers number no matter how much I hated him/them. Business is business.

On the other hand I just shut down the last vestiges of the business and BLOCKED phones and email from every single ahole I met over the last 33 years. Felt real good!

Reactions: pth2

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Please provide source for Z’s character issues. That rumor is pure bullshit.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I didn’t say it was true, but it certainly seems to be rampant enough for him to have that perception. I have no idea if they are true or not, and frankly, neither do you.
I know more about his character just from following the Ducks, than you do. And it’s a stellar reputation for being quite respectful to everybody including low level arena employees.

But people like you would rather run with negative rumors if it helps support your crappy ass offer for a guy you all seem to dislike quite a bit.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Montreal starts the conversation offering 1(26) + Barron + washed up Gallagher or Dvorak

Verbeek counters with 1(5) + Beck + Xhekaj or Mailloux

A deal only gets done for something around Reinbacher + 1(26) or Beck, and maybe we eat Dvorak's contract.

Canadians get a proven player (2 season with 60+ pts on a trash team) on a short and cheap contract for prospect that fits what Verbeek wants for the blueline but isn't ready next year and didn't develop as expected + pick or more ready two-way forward in Beck for "insurance."

Canadians walk away from draft with Zegras + top 5 pick and expedites their rebuild. Ducks reset another year and gets Verbeek's type of player. As a Duck fan, I wouldn't want this as this would keep us in the gutter another year. Canadians would win the trade, but Verbeek could offset this with a big UFA signing that could work out for the best for both teams. Question is: what player wants to come to Anaheim, other than for a major overpay?
It wouldn't be Dvorak or Gallagher but more likely Anderson would more likely be the one Verbeek would be interested in (comes with the risk hoping he is a better fit Anaheim) The 26th would be a gimmie. The young player in the deal would be the point of contention here. If there is a deal we find out the next 3 weeks.His value will be determined by what the market will pay. If Anaheim has decided to move on from him that is different value than "Only if you offer me something you will regret".

Last edited:
Reactions: cheesymc

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I know more about his character just from following the Ducks, than you do. And it’s a stellar reputation for being quite respectful to everybody including low level arena employees.

But people like you would rather run with negative rumors if it helps support your crappy ass offer for a guy you all seem to dislike quite a bit.

Don’t believe I’ve actually made any offer, or even made any direct proposals. Whether YOU think you know his character is nonsense, as you don’t know the player personally. I don’t either. But you have your head in the sand if you don’t think there are some questions around it - again, fairly or not - otherwise theoretically, he wouldn’t be available anyway. If he is even available, it’s because of some issue either with him or with his relationship to his team - so your argument sorta falls apart there.

And if that is the case, that does create inherent risk to the acquiring team no matter what is said.

As I’ve also kept saying - I have no idea if there are any issues or not. But his availability gives some validation. So, I don’t appreciate you insinuating that I am some sort of rumor monger here.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Don’t believe I’ve actually made any offer, or even made any direct proposals. Whether YOU think you know his character is nonsense, as you don’t know the player personally. I don’t either. But you have your head in the sand if you don’t think there are some questions around it - again, fairly or not - otherwise theoretically, he wouldn’t be available anyway. If he is even available, it’s because of some issue either with him or with his relationship to his team - so your argument sorta falls apart there.

And if that is the case, that does create inherent risk to the acquiring team no matter what is said.
Doesn’t your arguement fall apart right at the past wheee you say “if he even is available”…. I mean it’s still essentially speculation at this point.

I’d also say zegras is playing a posistion of strength for us(mctavish carlsson gauthier and zegras)…. If we could find a trade that improves us in areas of weakness, or a better “fit”(which I use loosely cause it’s me speculating on pv) , why wouldn’t we.

Just because the ducks may be listening on zegras doesn’t have to mean that he has character issues, or a broken relationship with the team(which for the most part seems far fetched)… it could just mean PV has a different vision.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Doesn’t your arguement fall apart right at the past wheee you say “if he even is available”…. I mean it’s still essentially speculation at this point.

I’d also say zegras is playing a posistion of strength for us(mctavish carlsson gauthier and zegras)…. If we could find a trade that improves us in areas of weakness, or a better “fit”(which I use loosely cause it’s me speculating on pv) , why wouldn’t we.

Just because the ducks may be listening on zegras doesn’t have to mean that he has character issues, or a broken relationship with the team(which for the most part seems far fetched)… it could just mean PV has a different vision.

It’s all fair; my point is simply that there have been multiple references to hostile negotiations, attitude around playing defense, etc. Again, they could be that - or they could be nothing. Your point may be valid; however, there have been mentions of what I’ve saying as well - and the truth will not be known to you or I.

GMs will know. Flyers fans just went through this, to which Anaheim got the rewards. Nothing was said about Gauthier in public; nobody will directly. But little comments, some questionable antics, some curious decisions made, and he’s traded. Is that a flaw in his character? Maybe, maybe not. But that’s the perception - Anaheim traded a good piece; probably not their best; and these things would lead us to believe that Zegras will acquire a good piece, but it probably not as high as Anaheim fans expect.

And that’s because of perception - because to say that there aren’t questions around him is simply being disingenuous.

• Haha
Reactions: dracom

MCB

Jun 21, 2019

Are you suggesting Reinbacher is equal to Michkov?

At a meet and greet he (and Drysdale) stayed an extra couple of hours just so everyone in line could get to meet him and get an autograph, if he really was as self absorbed as rumors suggest he would have just closed up shop.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

But would Caps or Philly deal those guys 1 for 1 for Reinbacher? If the answer is no, then why does it matter if they would for Zegras? I'm pretty sure Philly wouldn't, not sure about Caps but doesn't sound like they would either based on how he's valued.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

As I’ve also kept saying - I have no idea if there are any issues or not. But his availability gives some validation. So, I don’t appreciate you insinuating that I am some sort of rumor monger here.
You sound like a politician who makes up lies about his opponent and then has nerve to say that since the smoke is out there, there must be fire. That’s pretty much what this whole thread has been about since the beginning.

This thread is filled with multiple Habs fans degrading Z for everything under the sun, then declaring that due to his minimal value they could see themselves clear to offering garbage for him. Funny how that theme keeps repeating itself.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
It wouldn't be Dvorak or Gallagher but more likely Anderson would more likely the one Verbeek would be interested in (comes with the risk hoping he is a better fit Anaheim) The 26th would be a gimmie. The young player in the deal would be the point of contention here. If there is a deal we find out the next 3 weeks.His value will be determined by what the market will pay. If Anaheim has decided to move on from him that is different value than "Only if you offer me something you will regret".
I don’t think the Ducks would be interested in adding Andersons long term contract to the deal, especially if there are potential cheaper alternatives like Jeannot. It would be more on an expiring contract like Dvorak

I wouldn’t mind swapping Fowler for Anderson and have suggested it in the past but both have NTC. Fowler is a much better player too, or at least useful. But I’d prefer our young guns get priority over him on offensive opportunities and swap that money for a Pesce type of player.

Anyhow, I’d still prefer to hold onto Zegras but could see the trade happen if the Canadians made a serious offer.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
I don’t think the Ducks would be interested in adding Andersons long term contract to the deal, especially if there are potential cheaper alternatives like Jeannot. It would be more on an expiring contract like Dvorak

I wouldn’t mind swapping Fowler for Anderson and have suggested it in the past but both have NTC. Fowler is a much better player too, or at least useful. But I’d prefer our young guns get priority over him on offensive opportunities and swap that money for a Pesce type of player.

Anyhow, I’d still prefer to hold onto Zegras but could see the trade happen if the Canadians made a serious offer.
i would call 3 years a medium term commitment. Cap space will not be an issue for the Ducks for at least the first 2 years. The Habs are awash with young defensemen and I don't see them bringing another vet on the blueline when they need to move a couple of them. What you prefer to happen has as much impact here as what I would prefer. Three weeks from now we will have a clearer view on what is going to happen.

Reactions: cheesymc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad